Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pulling in 4x4

Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling in 4x4

I have noticed since the snow hit that my truck has a pul in 4x4. It starts out gradual and pulls harder as the rpms go up. When I press the clutch to shift it straightens back out and I have to compensate for the pull. It is kind of a hard pull if your not paying attention when you shift it could run a person off the road. Any help would be great, I was thinking the transmission mount maybe? I have a friend who has the exacy same truck and he said his does the same thing. I just put new shocks and a idler arm on it. If that helps..
Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 AM

Are your tires and gears the same size?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:06 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...eel-dr-205139/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-drive-204026/

try searching there bud

Last edited by d71889b; 02-23-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:35 AM

No doubt. And like I said I asked a freind who has the same truck and his does the same thing. From what I hear these are the best trucks. But all the recalls is sick, hg's, steering boxes, frames, exterior lighting. I wish I could get these recalls lol! But I did read those other articles. Just a bunch of people with the same problem. Never did see a for sure cure or fix! I am gonna check all the bushings n stuff, they seem tight but maybe I should knock some things apart and get a good look. Thanks a bunch and if you hear anything let me know and I will do the same..
Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well i wheel my '86, and it didn't pull when i pull out onto the blacktop in 4wd to get to another trail?

i was going about 45 or so for about 2 or 3 miles, i could feel it kinda "walking" but nothing anywhere serious enough to cause any problems
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well my 84 drives fine locked in 4WD on a perfectly dry road... But when I go to make a turn, I get a funny feeling through the steering wheel...

The problem goes away when I straighten back out, or make the turn in 2WD...

Drives fine up and down the highway, so I don't see how the problem can be in the steering?

I had a 91 that I couldnt drive 10 feet on pavement or it'd bind up so bad I had to drive in the grass... It took prolly 20 minutes of backing, pulling up and un locking the hubs to get it back to H2. It was my 1st truck so I had no idea how to get it outta gear... I shoulda made a post on here... But I figured it out instead...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
reedr125,
I tried reading through all the posts but it gets a little cluttered. Let me try and offer some help by asking a few questions.

1) Does it also pull when not in 4wd? I noticed you said it would stop when the clutch was pushed in so I'm hoping to narrow down the problems.

2) Have you looked at the tie rod ends to see if they are worn? Noticed you replaced the idler arm so the next place to look is the tie rod ends.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
reedr125,
I tried reading through all the posts but it gets a little cluttered. Let me try and offer some help by asking a few questions.

1) Does it also pull when not in 4wd? I noticed you said it would stop when the clutch was pushed in so I'm hoping to narrow down the problems.

2) Have you looked at the tie rod ends to see if they are worn? Noticed you replaced the idler arm so the next place to look is the tie rod ends.

The tie rod ends seem tight but I think I am going to knock them loose and get a better look. It does wander a little in 2wd but i figured it as paly in the steering box, it happens. But I really notice it in 4x4. It starts to pull harder the higher the rpms get, then when you shift it tries to straighten out. In the snow it seems like it would pull you off the road if not paying attention to the compensation. On dry pavement it pulls but will not slide you off the road. I am gonna check a few things i read on here tonight, will let everyone know..
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Reedr125
The tie rod ends seem tight but I think I am going to knock them loose and get a better look. It does wander a little in 2wd but i figured it as paly in the steering box, it happens. But I really notice it in 4x4. It starts to pull harder the higher the rpms get, then when you shift it tries to straighten out. In the snow it seems like it would pull you off the road if not paying attention to the compensation. On dry pavement it pulls but will not slide you off the road. I am gonna check a few things i read on here tonight, will let everyone know..

Ok. Does it always pull the to the same side?

I'll put my 4runner in 4wd for the drive home today and see if it pulls at all so I have some frame of reference.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Ok. Does it always pull the to the same side?

I'll put my 4runner in 4wd for the drive home today and see if it pulls at all so I have some frame of reference.

Yes it has the same course everytime, if I don't let the rpm up very high before I shift you can barely feel it. Its like it pulls with the pedal lol. When it pulls you get that feeling like its slipping and kinda gonna slide you into the ditch. It doesnt but feels like it. If I was to dump the clutch in 4x4 in the snow with the wheel straight it would prob shoot off to the right and never go straight. If I babied it I would barely be able to feel it.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!

I was thinking some other stuff to, but when he said it only happens in 4WD, and his friends truck does the same thing... I stopped.

I think the odds of two trucks having the same problem is pretty weird... The odds of coincidence are dropping fast...

Unless they aren't problems at all.

But he does have a V6, so he does have a chain drive case, and in my experience you can drive a chain drive fine on hard surfaces w/o loading up the case...

I also don't know if he has AAD or ADD whatever the Toyota Auto hubs were called... But if there was a failure in that, he wouldn't have any 4WD?

This is still what I think he's experiencing...

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
It's just the bind trying to unload to the wheel with the least amount of traction on it... And as he's driving it, it's wandering to try and find it.
There are even more factors like ruts and if the road was sanded... All kinds of things. Diffs spin-out to the wheel with the least amount of traction. Bind will do the same thing. And as the friction of the surfaces changes, so will the tendency of spin-out to whichever wheel has the least amount of traction....

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-23-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Reeder, is your 1st gear really-really-really low?

Can you take a pic of the transfer case for us?

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-23-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have manual hubs? Sounds almost like one side isn't engaging.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Do you have manual hubs? Sounds almost like one side isn't engaging.

Wabbit that's where I was going next.

If it goes to the right every time my next course of action would be to endure that both hubs are indeed locked 100% and in good working order.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:43 AM

i agree with wab fab, i run mine in 4 high- 30mph snow and dry roads going to work and have no problems, rember if you dont have lockers you only have two wheel drive
Old 02-23-2010, 12:03 PM

If one of his hubs or flanges is not working, and he has open diffs, he would not have 4WD at all.

So then we go into weather or not it's been welded or he has a locker... And ALL of this has already been covered in another thread...
Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
Well my 84 drives fine locked in 4WD on a perfectly dry road... But when I go to make a turn, I get a funny feeling through the steering wheel...
been covered before too..don't drive in 4wd on dry pavement
Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Hate to quote myself but...

I locked in the hubs before I left work and drove towards the house. Nothing odd other than it took a little (very little) more skinny pedal to make it move. Once I hit a red light I dropped the t-case into 4hi and pulled out. No pulling, shakes, shimmy, etc up to 45mph. I even slowed down and dropped it into 4low and ran it a little ways near the house.

You might have an issue with a hub not locking properly.

At no time did my GEAR DRIVEN TRANSFER CASE bind up, or "LOAD"..... just saying. It shifted into and out of 4wd like silk when the clutch pedal was engaged at the proper speeds.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:26 PM

Junker, you IFS or SA?

My 84 does that... My 91 didnt... It seems with this pandemic the ppl that are posting the problem the most have an IFS truck...

7.5" Vs. 8" hmm...

I always thought that no matter the ratio, the ring and pinion then the axle shaft should move the same... maybe not?

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-23-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:29 PM

Wabbit, that sounds more like the problem, I just changed over from warn to ansis locking hubs. One could be not engaging. Thats the first thing I will check. As far as my 4x4 goes I have noproblems on straight streets with binding. I have drove in 4x4 but when I turn I unlock it in the truck. And it runs fine. I am going to have to pop it apart and get a good look at things, from the hubs on in. Thanks again..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulling in 4x4