Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
ProComp Bracket Lift

this price cannot be right, can it?

http://www.rjroffroad.com/pro-comp-l...-pr-16583.html

tell me it isn't so...

if that's the price, what in the hell am I waiting for; the price is the only thing that has stopped me from getting a bracket lift; all the others I've found at $700 and more!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

oh no wait, never mind...

wrong year, damnit...

http://www.rjroffroad.com/explorer-p...-pr-16580.html

the other must be for solid axel, even though it clearly shows IFS hardware and talks about CV angles...

hmmm...
Old 01-08-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya i noticed the years and whats on the pics just don't match.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I noticed that the other day when I was grabbin' the pic to show the knuckle extensions.
Still, 900-1000 is about average for the stage II from what I've seen elsewhere. stage I is about 100 cheaper.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they miss printed the years, not description or pics. Call em and tell em you want it for the price listed. haha worth a try.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

abe, don't you have the kit?

which one looks more like the parts on your's?

they do look completely different...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:56 PM

The first picture is what's in the kit I have.

Whether that means the photo on their website is wrong or not...? The picture in the second link you posted looks to be for later Tacomas / Pre-runners.

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-08-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 PM

basically the kit would come with (I'll try to go from top to bottom in order to match the pic, and give some description if it matters... but keep in mind I'm a dork ):
- sway bar / chassis brackets to drop the sway bar where it bolts to the frame (use old sway bar 'u' bracket and bushing)
- 3.5" angled lift blocks
- 'strut' bars / braces from the rear of the front / LCA mount to the trans crossmember (comes with urethane bushings)
- rear lower control arm drop brackets
- extended shocks (boots and uprated shocks are an option)
- differential drop hardware (lowers differential from the frame, duh )
- knuckle extensions (bolts to existing knuckle where tie-rod arm bolts to knuckle and has a bolt to go through were upper ball joint used to mount to the knuckle. It provides its own tie-rod end mount point.)
- extended u-bolts for the rear (for the blocks)
- front LCA drop brackets (utilizes stock front crossmember / diff mount / brace. bolts to old compression bump stop location and provides mount to relocate front bump stop)
- rear LCA brace (runs between the rear LCA mounts provided with the kit)

... other hardware not shown in the pic does come with it: the longer bolts for the diff-drop, hardware to bolt the sway-bar drops to the frame, etc.

any questions?

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-08-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Anyone who says that IFS bracket lifts are weak hasn't taken a look at this kit.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:24 PM

I hit the pile of 3/4-1" aggregate in the pic below at about 20 miles per hour (in 2wd, hehe) and got slowed down to about 2 miles per hour when the rear bumper dug in. I made it 'close' to going over but didn't have quite enough momentum to finish the job. So I backed up, still in 2wd, and when the rear bumper dug in again I had nowhere to go (you can see the little pile of rocks in front of my rear tires from trying to go backwards).... So got out of the truck to take the pic. I locked the front hubs and 4-low pulled me over the top.
I've still got rocks from that in my front crossmember and LCA braces.

truck went to have the alignment checked a few days later and nothing moved.
And this was with the blocks that have since been changed out for lifted springs.

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-08-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Anyone who says that IFS bracket lifts are weak hasn't taken a look at this kit.
see that's why I like the ProComp kit; the strut bars as you called them, that go from the lower control arm area to the frame

what other kit has that?

but the kit would be different for a 91 PU, wouldn't it?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I have the Procomp Stage II kit and it's never given me an troubles. It beefs up the front end pretty well with the strut braces and rear LCA brace(which, funny me, didn't realize it came with that and bought the downey offroad brace-which is still in its box by the way). The only gripe: the sway bar drop brackets didn't line up well and you need to make sure to grind down the frame so that shocks have clearance. After the frame alignment it won't be an issue.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 PM

I put the 'used' PCII kit on my 88 without issue.
may have something with the fact the kit I bought came with Rancho shocks... but...?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
see that's why I like the ProComp kit; the strut bars as you called them, that go from the lower control arm area to the frame

what other kit has that?

but the kit would be different for a 91 PU, wouldn't it?
SuperLift offered them bars too. They attach differently to the LCA (to the same bolts the frame brace does) and are only 1/2 in diameter too.

As far as I know, the procomp kit applies to 86-89 4Runners and 86-95 pickups, with the only difference being the rear u-bolt size for the 89+ pickups.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I have the Procomp Stage II kit and it's never given me an troubles. It beefs up the front end pretty well with the strut braces and rear LCA brace(which, funny me, didn't realize it came with that and bought the downey offroad brace-which is still in its box by the way). The only gripe: the sway bar drop brackets didn't line up well and you need to make sure to grind down the frame so that shocks have clearance. After the frame alignment it won't be an issue.
I got my stage II pc for 1000 delivered and it was a pain in the as* to install they told me 6-8 hours both front and rear done not even close but they only sent 1/3 of the directions too.

I love mine it has never let me down it takes a very good amount of abuse and in the 3yrs its been on there I have only got the aligenment done 1 time even after wheeling it pretty good them control braces and the rear cross member really do work well at keeping the alignment solid.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:34 PM

What part of the frame did your shocks have issues with?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
What part of the frame did your shocks have issues with?
The instructions say to "clearance" the frame right behind the front shocks where it's closest to the frame. Unfortunately, I was working long hours and didn't have any spare time to put the lift on myself. SOOO, gave an offroad store the kit and DIRECTIONS to do it because I was doing gears at the same time I didn't see any reason to tear the front suspension up twice. Well, long story short that didn't happen and the store never used the directions. When I got home the front shocks had HUGE dents in them from hitting the frame. It also didn't help the torsion bars were cranked ALL the way up. I had to take my truck to a frame alignment shop and they got the front suspension back to stock geometry. That was like four years ago and I havent' needed another alignment since.

I actually had my kit put together with superlift rear springs, rancho 9000x shocks and Downey HD torsion bars.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

The only gripe: the sway bar drop brackets didn't line up well
well that's useless to me anyway, I removed my sway bar last week
Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 PM

@BigBluePile-
even though this was a 'used' kit I purchased, it bolted up straight through to the frame without any issues at all..... Can't say the stock/ OEM 'kit' wouldn't have issues though since what I bought came with Rancho shocks instead of the ProComp shocks... however, I can't see the ProComp shocks being THAT much larger in diameter than the Rancho's to require clearancing the frame... particularly when the front shocks mount outboard of the frame at the bottom and are still outboard from the frame at the top.

mentioned it before, and will mention it again:
I'll take pics if necessary.

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-08-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
well that's useless to me anyway, I removed my sway bar last week
lol! Well, a while back before I put my bracket lift on I had bought swaybar disconnects from FROR(I think...) and I figured why waste them? However, because the missaligment is sooooo bad it's NOT easy to remove/replaced the disconnects. I pretty much use them for maintance purposes like removing the oil pan(which, BTW, is my other favorite thing about this lift besides the ability to put big tires on!!).

Quick Reply: ProComp Bracket Lift