Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pro comp

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Pro comp

I was looking at getting a used set of 31 pro comp mud terrain tires.
My buddy has these on his jeep. The thing is, when it rains and he tries to stop he slides! Is it just cuz its on a jeep or what. Its these or Bf goodrich mud terrains you help me choose my fate. thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BFG. i work in a tire shop, and if theres anything worse than procomp tires, its KELLY tires. stay away from procomps. theyre slidin on the jeep for 3 reasons. 1. the tires SUCK. 2. its a jeep. 3. the power to weight ratio is WAY out of proportion. easy answer? go with the BFGs. i have around 30,000 miles on mine (mostly highway, since theres not a lot of trails out here, but i HAVE beat the hell out of them offroad) and theyre only 1/32 worn out. thats still practically brand NEW!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:14 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
x2 i love my BFG and they do great off road
furthermore ive heard lots of horror stories about pro comp tires, so like said above stay away
Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 PM

I think it's true that older pro comp tires weren't very good but I've got 33x12.50 pro comp xtreme mud terrains and they haven't let me down yet. I would choose bfgs over the original pro comp mts but the xtreme mud terrains are great tires, wear like rocks and have phenomenal grip on everything.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
#1. Jepp brakes suck... period... slid across an intersection in my cousins XJ in the middle of summer... had to buy new underpants...
#2. Get the BFGs... brother in law had mine first on his crawler, and now i use them for mud... they wont let you down...
Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 PM

Pro Comp? i thought ive always heard them called Pro Crap.
get the BFG's, procomp MT's are garbage in every way possible.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:50 PM

I also use and love BFG's MT
Old 11-21-2008, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
1. the tires SUCK.
i have over 20,000 miles on a pair, on my 08 superduty. They are 37x12.5's. I have towed 15,000lbs with them, driven in mud, snow, rain, and i have not had a single issue with them. Not 1.
3. the power to weight ratio is WAY out of proportion.
what the hell does this have to do with stopping? The weight to braking power ratio? Just for reference the brakes on your precious toyota's arent exactly wonderful(one reason i have 1 ton brakes all around with rear discs and a chevy booster).

To the poster, if the price is right, the tires are ok. I would pass on them, but i would prefer some bfg's.

Originally Posted by mrmatson
I think it's true that older pro comp tires weren't very good but I've got 33x12.50 pro comp xtreme mud terrains and they haven't let me down yet. I would choose bfgs over the original pro comp mts but the xtreme mud terrains are great tires, wear like rocks and have phenomenal grip on everything.
these are the tires i have on my superduty, and his statement is 100% true
Old 11-21-2008, 07:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothingbutyoda93
My buddy has these on his jeep. The thing is, when it rains and he tries to stop he slides! Is it just cuz its on a jeep or what. Its these or Bf goodrich mud terrains you help me choose my fate. thanks
my buddy has them on a wrangler (33s) they are awesome offroad

and yes its a jeep thing with the sliding

if you can get a deal on them, what the heck, do it

BFG KM2 are where its at though...just expenesive...but you get what you pay for
Old 11-21-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As posted BFGs will last. If you keep them rotated they will last with some crazy high milage for a mud tire,they ride good also if kept rotated. I do min around 4 to 5k or if i see them starting to cup before that. I have run BFGs forever with no problems.
I have had 1 set of procomp 33-12.50-15s m/t. Never had a problem stopping on wet pavement and they were on a 1995 wrangler. They were holding up well but i liked the BFGs better. I did get a deal on the pro comps so I tried them once.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Mud tires are not gonna handle that great in the rain. Its a tradeoff.

However, you can easily adapt your driving style to suit the tires. Just make sure you stay back, because fast braking in the rain with mud tires = locked up tires.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dusten
what the hell does this have to do with stopping? The weight to braking power ratio? J
I was going to say the same thing but now I don't have to...

Nice post from a newb.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 PM

i have over 20,000 miles on a pair, on my 08 superduty. They are 37x12.5's. I have towed 15,000lbs with them, driven in mud, snow, rain, and i have not had a single issue with them. Not 1. what the hell does this have to do with stopping? The weight to braking power ratio? Just for reference the brakes on your precious toyota's arent exactly wonderful(one reason i have 1 ton brakes all around with rear discs and a chevy booster).

these are the tires i have on my superduty, and his statement is 100%
because the OP asked why they would slide on the JEEP, not if they'd slide on the toyota.. the engine is too strong for the car, thus its sliding. i didnt say nothin bout toyotas.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:12 AM

because the OP asked why they would slide on the JEEP, not if they'd slide on the toyota.. the engine is too strong for the car, thus its sliding. i didnt say nothin bout toyotas.
Please oh mighty genius of how engines and brakes work, please explain how an engine can effect the overall braking capability, and more so, the brakes natural tendancy to lock up?

The only way that is going to happen is if the engine accelerates the car so quickly that you can't stop in the distance required. On a jeep, unless it had an engine swap, this is not going to happen. he didnt mention, cj, tj, yj, or xj. However, any of the 4 came with either an inline 6, a 2.5L 4cyl, or maybe a 304v8. However, none of the 4 would be considered powerful by any strech of the imagination.

The more common cause for braking lock up, is operator error. To much braking force applied, causing the brakes to overcome the traction available to the tires, and thus a skidding situation. This can, and will happen on any vehicle not equipped with anti lock brakes.
I would be willing to bet that if I take my toyota, and its pathetic 3.0 and hammer the brakes, I can lock them up in the rain, even with my 39.5x13.5's. I would add to the bet that after my 302 swap this winter, they dont lock up any easier or harder. Would you be willing to bet me money?

A great example of power to weight ratio and its complete lack of effect on braking. My motorcycle makes 123hp, and weighs(with rider) 650lbs. That gives me a power to weight ratio of 5.28:1. It takes an act of god to lock up the front tire on it, and the rear usually only locks when i downshift and hit the rear brakes, thus taking almost all the weight off the rear. However, a jeep, even with a wicked built motor(say 450+ hp) is going to have a power to weight ratio of 7.75:1. this is assuming a weight of 3500lbs. A more typical jeep, one putting down closer to 200hp is going to have a power to weight ratio closer to 17.5:1. Yet, either of those jeeps is going to stop from any given speed in an identical manner, assuming this is the same jeep with nothing changed other than power rating.

So, to conclude, power to weight has nothing to do with braking. Braking power to weight can effect stopping distance, but usually will not effect a jeeps(or other rigs) tendency to lock up.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:24 AM

lmao i totally agree wtf does the motor have to do with the brakes?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:29 AM

so someone did catch it... wee. what was i thinking... lol. he said the jeep slid in the mud, and MUD is different than dry or wet pavement. a buddy of mine has a ford 302 in his 80 toyota truck, and he has to keep the RPMs LOW not to slide in it. thats what i was saying. if i was wrong about that, i apologize.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:40 AM

I have two buddies with XJ's, one of them has the pro comp MTs and the other has the BFG MTs. Both of them are happy with their tires, but I think the BFG's have the overall advantage. From what I've seen, performance in mud is similar. But the BFGs seem better on the rocks. Plus, the procomps wear really quick.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nothingbutyoda93
so someone did catch it... wee. what was i thinking... lol. he said the jeep slid in the mud, and MUD is different than dry or wet pavement. a buddy of mine has a ford 302 in his 80 toyota truck, and he has to keep the RPMs LOW not to slide in it. thats what i was saying. if i was wrong about that, i apologize.
I requoted the OP for reference. But, as you can clearly read(however i do believe that reading comprehension > you) the poster only used the word mud in regards to a description of the tires in question. He very clearly stated that the jeep slid in the rain.

Second, the only way rpms are going to effect tire lock up is if you downshift to a lower gear at the same time you hammer on the brakes.
Stopping from 65 @ 2800rpm in 5th gear is no more or less likely to cause tire lock up than stopping from say 30mph in 1st gear at 5000 rpm.

I suggest you stop before the hole gets deeper.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:08 AM

just reread the OP. oops. my mistake. and dusten, i noticed you only have 21 posts, did you come here just to start shat? 'i suggest you stop before the hole gets deeper'. no need to get rude, we're all friends here.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
just reread the OP. oops. my mistake. and dusten, i noticed you only have 21 posts, did you come here just to start shat? 'i suggest you stop before the hole gets deeper'. no need to get rude, we're all friends here.
oh but it's ok, look at his avatar and the flex his daddy's truck has

Please oh mighty genius of how engines and brakes work, please explain how an engine can effect the overall braking capability.
and just for the sake of argument; if you throw a steep cam in a SB Chevy for instance, then your vaccum can drop and cause braking issues. basically a lack of power brakes; had it happen in my 82 Monte Carlo

I'm runn'n a set of the ProComp All Terrains right now; not really by choise, they were just on the ProComp wheels when I bought them off of someone, and they had maybe 25% tread left on them. Compared to my old out of balance and just about bald all terrains, these things are pretty decent, but I've had MUCH better. After my lift I'm working on now, she's getting 33" BFG Mud Terrains

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-22-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Pro comp