86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power windows hvent worked in over a month

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power windows hvent worked in over a month

somebody help me out here. im taking all day tomorrow taking any ideas in mind and trying it

These stupid windows dont work.

#1 because there electrical.

#2 Because my girlfriend loves to press alot of buttons.

#3 i cant find out why there not working

any ideas anybody please help me. i really really want these fixed its starting to clear up here. and sunroofs are amazing.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-10-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Make sure all your fuses are good. If so, then test the switches. If those are, then sometimes, the wiring breaks inbetween the door and the body. Now i havent seen that on a toyota yet, its pretty common in domestics.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
Make sure all your fuses are good. If so, then test the switches. If those are, then sometimes, the wiring breaks inbetween the door and the body. Now i havent seen that on a toyota yet, its pretty common in domestics.
but do you think if my doors on my drivers side will cause all my windows and power locks to stop working?? none of them work.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Well i'm not 100% sure of how the wiring is. But it could be the master switch. After you check fuses grab a test light and and make sure you get power to the master switch. I believe all the window switches are linked to a common power or ground to the master switch. If the master switch is bad or isnt' getting power than its possible no other window will work. DO NOT QUOTE ME THOUGH!!! there are just my guesses
Old 05-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Is the window lock button depressed? Dead serious, sometimes I don't notice it and almost replaced my passenger side window regulator because I didn't notice it was down.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by esoterik
Is the window lock button depressed? Dead serious, sometimes I don't notice it and almost replaced my passenger side window regulator because I didn't notice it was down.
Ya but when i had my windows lock button on i could still roll down my window.

i get no power.

usually when i used my windows it made my battery gauge move down and then back up

now it does nothing

and i have no power to my door wiring i checked it all yesterday

anybody please help me

tomorrow im checking the master switch under the dash

and hunting things down

so tonight please give me ideas.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:01 AM

did you ever check the fuse? you said you had no power to wiring but didn't mention if the fuse was good or not. i would suspect that the switch went bad since it was messing with your voltage guage before it quit.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by wheatus
did you ever check the fuse? you said you had no power to wiring but didn't mention if the fuse was good or not. i would suspect that the switch went bad since it was messing with your voltage guage before it quit.
Yea but even when i turn on my lights the battery moves down then up or when i turn on anything with power.

idk why but =/ its a toyota lol

and im thinking the switch probably took a .
Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not sure about the 90, but in 86, there was also a circuit breaker for the windows. It was a circular thing on the fuse box, with a little hole in the top to stick a paper clip in, and reset it.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:15 AM

I went through a simular experiece a few weeks ago. Replaced a motor, nothing, replaced the swithch, nothing, took it to a good electrical mechanic before he even opened a thing he said it was in the door. Sure enough, 5 wires were frayed where they enter the door. Ruined 2 of the switches because of the shorting out. Remove the door panel on the driver side first and tape it up. You may have also fryed the switches because of this. You can use an ohmeter to check using a FSM available on this site. Don't bother cleaning, they are a pain to take apart and assemble again. Look on ebay for switches.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Azca
I went through a simular experiece a few weeks ago. Replaced a motor, nothing, replaced the swithch, nothing, took it to a good electrical mechanic before he even opened a thing he said it was in the door. Sure enough, 5 wires were frayed where they enter the door. Ruined 2 of the switches because of the shorting out. Remove the door panel on the driver side first and tape it up. You may have also fryed the switches because of this. You can use an ohmeter to check using a FSM available on this site. Don't bother cleaning, they are a pain to take apart and assemble again. Look on ebay for switches.
so basically loosen my door up check inbetween the door and the truck and find out if its frayed if so take everything up back together or fix it right you know. then if thats not it check the switches then it might work??

but its all my windows and power locks.

sunroof back window all 4 front windows

none of them work.

I will try this tomorrow. i have power going into my door controll then i dont have power at my door controll on my drivers door but i have power to my door light thing that shows when i open the door

So somebody think that that might be the problem????
Old 05-10-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same prob in my 88 4runner i replaced the master switch on the door and prob was fixed..... dunno if its that simple for you... check fuse... you prolly got a bad ground.... clean battery terminals first.... then start hunting.... get a wiring diagram and get started looking for breaks and or corrosion in wires.... make sure it has the proper fuse in it too... can't just throw any old fuse in it...

Last edited by Kiroshu; 05-10-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Test your switches. Use the FSM.

I bought a set of electric doors and sold my friend all that eletrical stuff. I know for a fact that there are only one or two main power wires for the doors and windows. Most of the other wiring goes into that big arse relay.

Pull the boot that covers the wiring between the door and body. See what kind of shape the wiring is in.

make sure the fuse is good!

If your volt meter is fluctuating that much, then your alt is starting to go. Mine will fluctuate when I flip on my headlights (80w bulbs low, 100w high) or when I turn on my heater. but very little....

Test how much power your getting at idle....

Last edited by Jay351; 05-10-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Test your switches. Use the FSM.

I bought a set of electric doors and sold my friend all that eletrical stuff. I know for a fact that there are only one or two main power wires for the doors and windows. Most of the other wiring goes into that big arse relay.

Pull the boot that covers the wiring between the door and body. See what kind of shape the wiring is in.

make sure the fuse is good!

If your volt meter is fluctuating that much, then your alt is starting to go. Mine will fluctuate when I flip on my headlights (80w bulbs low, 100w high) or when I turn on my heater. but very little....

Test how much power your getting at idle....
Okay. Well all my fuses have power and are not blown.

i have power at my door controll

no power at my driver door havent checked passenger yet.

i have power at my back window switch but it isnt rolling down

i have no power at my sunroof.

so im confused and yeah mine moves very little but visable to me when i turn on heater wipers lights basically anything power.

but no power is hitting any of my plugs.

so whats FSM how do i test that??
Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

FSM = Factory service manual. Best $100 investment. They can instructions on how to test EVERYTHING! Those japs are awsume.

Test if you have power to the main door lock relay.
Then test the wiring from there. Trace the main power wires. Has to be either a short or a bad switch..
Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
FSM = Factory service manual. Best $100 investment. They can instructions on how to test EVERYTHING! Those japs are awsume.

Test if you have power to the main door lock relay.
Then test the wiring from there. Trace the main power wires. Has to be either a short or a bad switch..
ya thats what everybody says my buddy has my book im picking it up in the morning.

the toyota 86-99 or something book

thats like as big as a bible lol that thing?? has the wiring diagram and everything in the back?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

The real Toyota FSM's are year specific (states year and model on cover).

There are three books in total.

1. is the main book, with fold out wiring schematics and everything you need to know.
2. Has everything else from the drivetrain to body stuff
3. is all wiring info. I dont have this one

I got my V1 and V2 1990 FSMs for $30 online
Old 05-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Heres the FSM for your truck.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...-years-156128/
Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lummpus
thankyou i ill look through this

also might help me remove my doors easier
Old 05-12-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just want to chime in on this thread, as MY power window's aren't working either. I never knew, because I've been without window switches since I got the truck. I just installed them, and nothing.

I checked my FSM, and it appears the door control relay gets power from both circuit breakers, which i've confirmed. I took apart the relay, and nothing looks blown. My power door locks work, but I'm not getting any power for the window motors. I haven't checked for frayed wires at the grommet yet, but that's next on the list.

Quick Reply: Power windows hvent worked in over a month