Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Power Steering Problem

My steering is acting up. Only has power assist some of the time. Almost no help for slow speed turns. The problem is random, so sometimes I get power steering, and sometimes I don't. Makes all my turns an adventure since I never know how hard I am going to have to pull on the wheel to make the corner.

I have no leaks, no squeals, the fluid is not low or foamy, even when cycling steering full left then right a few times. Doesn't seem to matter if brakes are on or off, but idling up does seem to help a little. If I turn the wheel really slow, it seems to act normal. The quicker I turn the wheel the harder it gets until it catches up, or at least it feels that way.

I have a "new" steering gear from the auto parts store. It worked fine for the past month, but may still be the problem now. Maybe the pump? Maybe air somewhere in the lines? Any other guesses?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the pump is on the way out. I had one that did the same thing and a new pump was the cure.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to hijack but I gotta share my PS sotry from last weekend. I ran a local bitch of a trail called Carnage Canyon. It was 3 feet deep in ice so it was a very different trail. We got to the top and the way back down is like 500 hairpin turns. About 200 feet into going down the tippy bitch starts sqeeling like a high school girl. I stop immediately and pop the hood. The fan clutch pulley had seized. The Power Steering and Alternator belts were just melting into it. Whipped out the Gerber and sliced those off. (Thank god I had replaced the battery with an optima the week before) But let me tell you, my arms are still *sore* from manhandling that steering wheel the 5 miles down.

Moral of the story... I feel your pain! Had to replace the fan clutch, and while I was at it did the water pump and timing belt. But those pulley's for a 2nd Gen Runner are wicked expensive. Toyota had to ship one in from Kansas. (I know I coulda got an after market but I needed this fixed asap for my trip next week to Billings in Grand Junction)

I learn something new from you guys every day. Crazy!
Old 12-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I am thinking it might be the pump as well, but I'll double check the belt and pulleys for drag and such.

I to was out and about on the local trails this past weekend and once that steering goes, things sure do get interesting.