Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 03-30-2016, 03:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power Steering Leak 3VZE Auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Leak 3VZE Auto

I have a 1991 4Runner with a 3VZE and an automatic transmission. Recently I performed an engine swap due to a push rod in the oil pan. About a month after the swap I noticed a hard whining from the power steering pump.

Due to my extremely busy parenting/school/work schedule, and lack of the proper tools at my place; I haven't been able to get under the vehicle and try to troubleshoot the problem. I have been putting a bottle of PS fluid in the resivore about every other day for 3 weeks. So yesterday I took my 4Runner into my local mech to have him identify and fix the leak. My mechanic called me back and said that he couldnt find a leak anywhere. I explained to him how much fluid I have been putting in and he replied "well, I cant find a leak".

Another interesting problem I have been experiencing is a cloud of very white smoke coming from the exhaust about every 3rd time I start the engine, there has been progressively more smoke and it has lasted longer as time goes on. This has been going on for about two weeks.

My mech suggested that the power steering fluid could be getting sucked in somewhere and burnt in the exhaust. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, but I dont really see how this could happen.

Any way, I figured that if I am experiencing this problem, someone else probably has too. So, if anyone here can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dikatry
I have been putting a bottle of PS fluid in the resivore about every other day for 3 weeks.
There's your problem. Toyota PS uses ATF, not power steering fluid. Time for a new pump, then only use ATF in it!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 PM

Wow, ok. Guess I blew that one. And the ATF would have been cheaper too. Is it certain that I need a new pump? Also, would that explain the white smoke? Thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 06:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
TC is right on the PS system using ATF and not PS fluid (it even says so right on the fill cap). If you are sure that there are no visible leaks in the system (and you'd see one if you're putting in a bottle of fluid every couple of days), the only place that fluid could possibly be getting sucked into the engine and burned off would be in the small idle up VSV that's connected to the passenger side of the power steering pump (it's a small valve with two small diameter vacuum lines going to it). Disconnect those lines and see if there is residue of fluid in either of them. If there is, the valve is bad. (To double check, you can remove the two hoses from the valve and start the engine. If fluid comes out of either nipple on the valve, then the valve is bad)

It is unlikely that you'll have to replace your power steering pump because you ran it with PS fluid in it. Worse case would be you'd develop leaks. As a precaution, you could buy the rebuild kit from Toyota and replace all the seals. It's a couple hours of work, but you'll know all the seals are good after you're done.

Now... if you ran your pump a lot when it was very low on fluid, you might have cooked one or more of the bearings. Not sure if Toyota sells individual bearings or not, so that might require a pump replacement.

I recommend the following: Check your idle up valve and replace it if that's the problem, flush the system out using fresh ATF (you can use the flush procedure that I've posted here if you're unsure how to do it... it also works for 2nd gen 4Runners), make sure your reservoir is topped up to the correct level, and see if the whining is still there. If it is, then pull the pump and rebuild/replace as necessary.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 10-09-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:20 AM

GSGALLANT and tc; thanks for the help. My cap is either old or a replacement, it doesnt day anything on it. I will go ahead and do all the checks and flush the system like you said. I always had a couple of bottles of fluid in the truck, so I kept if full and didnt let it run too low, so hopefully nothing burnt up. There is no whining when it is full of fluid, only when it gets low.

Is the VSV the same as the BVSV? Is it one of the ones that are in a group under the intake manifold? When I replaced the engine one of the nipples on the green BVSV broke off. I did a bunch of searches and talked to a mech, the general consensus was to rerout the hose somewhere or plug it and it should be fine unless I live where it is extremely hot or cold. I think I will just go ahead and put a new one in soon just to be safe.

Thanks again!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 AM

The VSV (or idle up valve) for the power steering system is right on the power steering pump itself. Look on the passenger side of the power steering pump. You'll see two vacuum hoses going to the power steering pump (or more specifically to the idle up valve, that's screwed into the body of the pump). If that valve is faulty, it can allow fluid to go into the vacuum lines and into the air intake. Disconnect those hoses and look for evidence of fluid getting in them.

It's good news that your pump doesn't whine when the reservoir is full... It means your pump is probably fine.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:03 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my experience, putting PSF in there instead of ATF spells quick and certain doom for your power steering pump, but good suggestion to check the valve first.

Changing the power steering pump on a 3.0 is WAY harder than it should be. That job got the first of many "You have GOT to be kidding me"s directed at my truck ...

Last edited by tc; 10-08-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
yeah... first time i changed mine (ive done it three times) it took me 2 hours!!! and it started leaking 50 miles later because i put PS fluid in it!!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
In my experience, putting PSF in there instead of ATF spells quick and certain doom for your power steering pump, but good suggestion to check the valve first.

Changing the power steering pump on a 3.0 is WAY harder than it should be. That job got the first of many "You have GOT to be kidding me"s directed at my truck ...
No kiddin! There is hardly any space in there.. I was up to my shoulders in PS fluid (Learned that lesson quick)..

A used ps pump runs like 40 bucks.. I just went that route.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:34 PM

Quick question here, how do I bleed the PS system? I realized I filled power steering fluid on the pump and it is leaking pretty bad.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...eering-139488/
Old 10-09-2008, 05:32 AM

You can flush the system out using fresh ATF by using the flush procedure that I've posted here... it also works for 2nd gen 4Runners.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:54 AM

Does anyone have the part number for the power steering VSV? Thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 PM

Just a thought. If the two hoses that come out of the VSV were switched on where they connected to the intake manifold, could this create the problem? I was just wondering if they got put back in the wrong place.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 PM

When I bought my truck it had a PS line leak, I replaced that and I was still losing the fluid. Replaced the VSV and no more problems with losing fluid.

So now Jeremy PUNCHES HIMSELF IN THE FACE.... I put PSF in the power steering pump. Gonna change that when I get back from this deployment. You know I thought to myself, I know that fords use ATF in the PS pump, I wonder if Toyotas do. I read the cap and it said Power Steering Fluid. Looks like I was wrong..
Old 10-18-2008, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The cap is misleading.
On mine in Big White Letters is says Power Steering Fluid.

That unfortunately, is just a label.

If you clean the dirt off the cap you'll see in small black letters that it says ATF.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:02 PM

Just a thought. If the two hoses that come out of the VSV were switched on where they connected to the intake manifold, could this create the problem? I was just wondering if they got put back in the wrong place.
It doesn't matter if those two little hoses are switched. It will work exactly the same both ways. The VSV is just a valve that opens and allows air to pass through.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:11 PM

Does anyone have the part number for the power steering VSV? Thanks
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_199....html?hl=23262

Enter your VIN to make sure.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 AM

I am having the EXACT same problem you are and I to have narrowed it down to the Power Steering VSV. I am getting white smoke for only ~15 seconds on start up if my truck has sat for more than 5 or so hours. It uses about 1 quart or more of ATF each weak and I cannot find a leak anywere.

Did you replace the Power Steering VSV and did it correct the problem. I will be checking mine tonight by pulling off the 2 vacuum hoses and turning the wheel to see if oil comes out of the valve.

Regards,

Eric
Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 AM

All,

I just had my pump replaced and found that the VSV was basically main lining ATF into my intake. Replaced that little thing and it cured most of what ails me with my 4runner. The white smoke has stopped and my fluid level is fine. It is a pricey little thing but in the long run, worth the money. Now, all I have to do is fix my master cylinder and that darned rear window issue...