Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Steering Box adjustment or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Power Steering Box adjustment or rebuild?

I have the FSM, and have adjusted my box until the wheel was hard to turn, and the slop is still there.

For reference, there is NO slop in the rest of the system. The truck has FJ80 TRE's that are brand new, a Total Chaos Idler arm, also brand new, and I have personally watched while another person works the wheel back and forth, and seen that the input shaft on the box moves, while the pitman arm doesn't do anything.

I loosened the lock nut, and screwed the adjuster screw in until it was tight, and then tried it. Less slop, but still there.

Then I over tightened it. No change in slop, and then the RTS was gone, and the wheel was harder to turn. Backed it off to just snug, and there was no change in slop again, but the hard turning went away and the RTS was back.

So, I imagine my box is worn out.

My two questions are:

1. Is any more adjustment possible? The FSM doesn't seem to think so, but those in the business know any tricks?

2. If the box needs to be rebuilt, what exactly is worn out? I'm guessing its not bearings because there isn't any side-to-side play. The FSM details the full tear down, which is no issue for me to do, but I need to know what parts to get from toyota.

FWIW, I was picking up a HG campaign kit from toyota yesterday and had my buddy check out the price on a new box.

3200 dollars. I'm sure my truck is worth more than that with the extra goodies on it, but not according to KBB. Needless to say, that idea is out.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I need to replace some seals on mine. I haven't looked into rebuilding one entirely. But I have thought about swapping it out for a newer one. The 89-95 gear box has a quicker steering ratio.

Inchworm has rebuilt boxes, 86-88 for $299 + $100 for the 89-95. OE parts to fix yours might cost you more in the long run. I dunno...
http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/pr...products_id=64

They used to be the cheapest ones I could find...but I haven't looked around for 'em lately. I'd bet ebay has cheaper ones.

Edit: These guys have the cheapest rebuilds. http://www.mountainhighoffroad.com/Toyota.html
They all look like the ones TG sells. I found out wabfab has 'em too for the same price as inchworm, trail-gear, or many others.

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-28-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Good link. I hadn't thought about a rebuilt one. Still, I'd love to get mine working just from a money stand point.

Bump for anyone who knows what causes the slop, so I can determine if the parts are worth it, or if its cheaper to get one of these boxes from inchworm.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

bump..
Old 09-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Ike, I'm not speaking from personal experience but I did notice that the FSM shows some sort of adjusting nut on a main bearing that sets the preload (different than the little screw/jam nut on the outside). Maybe that thing needs to be adjusted?

It also might be cheaper to scope for a used one and just gamble that it's good. I picked one up from a 90 4Runner once for like $30 and resold it online for a bit more after cleaning it up. Then you could take your time rebuilding your old one if you felt so inclined.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by RustBucket
I did notice that the FSM shows some sort of adjusting nut on a main bearing that sets the preload (different than the little screw/jam nut on the outside). Maybe that thing needs to be adjusted?
What page is this on? http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...ng/13gearh.pdf

Or which FSM?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a 88 FSM, looking at page SR-79 there is a thingy called the adjusting nut on the RHS of the diagram. Page SR-88 goes through an adjustment procedure for the "worm bearing preload."
Old 09-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Huh. I see that. Guess its time for a rebuild kit. On TTORA, I posed this same question, and one of the techs there said that all boxes have slop. I suppose a rebuild can't hurt, so I'll try that and see if it gets better.

I've thought about a junk yard box, but my box is in great shape other than this, and I would rather have a reliable box with a little slop than a leaker.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 AM

Yeah...I can tell ya this much, mine's been "adjusted" like yours and still has a good amount of play too. I never knew I could adjust the worm bearing preload. I might have to give that a try...see what that's all about. I guess that's another one of the differences between the early and later boxes. You can't do that on the newer ones.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have slop too. i was going to try and adjust the jam nut on the to of the box this weekend. i hope that fixes mine.