Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

power antenna masts the same between generations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
power antenna masts the same between generations?

My 84's mast is broken and I found one at a local salvage yard from a 2nd gen. Does anyone know if I can use the mast from a 2nd gen with a motor and mount from a 1st gen?

I searched, but I couldnt' find anything about interchangeability of the power antenna.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not believe that you can. Here is what I know:

I have had to replace my mast twice on my '89 first gen Runner. Both times because I am too stupid to use the little switch on the dash before I go off on a trail. But, that is another story.

When you go to a dealer to give them $32 for being stupid (kind of like a tax on the stupid), my dealer has a mast in stock that has teeth on the plastic "push rod" that is inside the mast, what makes it go up and down. That is not what is in my Runner, it has a "push rod" that is a smooth, solid cylinder. The comment from the counter jockey at the dealer has been that the toothed one is for second gen rigs, and they have to order mine.

So, is the one you pulled from the wrecker a toothed one or a smooth one?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:09 AM

I will have to go back and look at it. It was already pulled, so I am thinking somebody pulled it out and realized it wouldn't work for their application. Thanks for the heads up. It looks like 2nd gens used the teeth and 1st and 3rd gens had the smooth plastic push rod..or whatever you call it.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check here;
http://antennamastsrus.com/Instructions%20Mast.htm
got my second gen one from here, for about 30 bucks, installation was a real pain; not taking it out from under the wheel area, my stereo guy did that. but to take apart the old one, take it out of all the mounting bracket parts, then put the new one in.... yikes. you have to do it in just the right order, when putting back together, and you have to get the whole very springy, toothed or smooth coil, all wound up, and hold it together, while you try and put it's lid and stuff back on, while it wants to go "SPROING" , and get loose.
Took about 2 hrs.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:35 PM

After two times putting a new one in, I don't think it is that bad. Unbolting the unit is not that hard. Figuring out how to get the mast out is a bit more of a head scratcher.

But, on my 1st gen, I did not have to wrap the push rod up on the storage reel, I just extended the new antenna out as far as possible, attached the pushrod to the storage reel, and bolted it all together, then use the electric power to wind it all in there.

I am not sure if the second gens are different, due to the teeth on the pushrod, or not.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Hey MIke,

I just read your build thread. Nice rig. After I first sold my 84, and went through two Tacomas and a Dodge, I bought an 89 SR5 V6 5spd. Man, I liked that truck. I had it for a few years, and then I found my old 84 on here and bought it back, so I sold my 89. It's still in town, but its been repainted a few times since I sold it.

Nice rig. Thanks for the antenna help.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by AustinTaco
Hey MIke,

I just read your build thread. Nice rig. After I first sold my 84, and went through two Tacomas and a Dodge, I bought an 89 SR5 V6 5spd. Man, I liked that truck. I had it for a few years, and then I found my old 84 on here and bought it back, so I sold my 89. It's still in town, but its been repainted a few times since I sold it.

Nice rig. Thanks for the antenna help.
Thanks for the compliment. She is my project vehicle, I like working on her. I always wanted a first gen Runner, every since high school (graduated in '89). Things finally came together and I picked this one up from the original owner with 125k miles on it. I use it for light offroad trips, camping, and a lot of deer hunting. I am never going to get rid of it, keeping it until I die at this point. I will be 85 and still climbing into my 1st Gen Runner. The thing is too much fun to get rid of.

I need to update the build thread with pics of the body lift and a few other things I have done in the last few weeks.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM

We graduated in the same year, but Toyotas were not on my radar then. I came from a Camaro mentality, but I had managed to purchase a Samurai for my Senior year. I wish I still had that samurai for rock crawler project!

Stick to your plan. Don't ever sell it. I sold my 84 and then I bought it back, but I lucked out. I try to imagine how the public will view a 1st gen when I am driving it when I am 50, then 60, etc......It's staying with me until I can't drive anymore and then its going to my children or Grandkids if I think they will appreciate it.