Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Please Help!

Old 01-03-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please Help!

Alright so i have a 1988 pickup 4wd 2.4 22re and it has a couple issues i cant figure out.

1. Idle surges up and down (warm or cold) no idea what the problem is there

2. Hard to start below 40° (brand new battery) cold start injector?

3. Throttle sticks open a little ( enough to go about 8mph in first) and cant get it to go down without blipping throttle or getting out and oushing it shut. Weird thing is ive cleaned it before and it only does it evrey once in awhile like today. Doesnt seem to be weather dependent, did it in the summer to.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Idle problem sounds like you need to burp your engine. Raise the front end as high as possible and let the Thermostat cycle a few times with the radiator cap off to get the air out of the system.

Hard to start.. I have never had the Cold Start Injector to fail. The biggest culprit is the Cold Start Injector Timing Switch. It is the the brown sensor under the Throttle Body. Sometimes cleaning the crust off of the sensor will get it to working. Other times you need to replace it. Remove it from the Intake and put it in the refrigerator and as it warms up see if the resistance changes on the different tempertures.

Throttle problem... Sounds as if your plunger on the Dash Pot is sticky. Sometimes you can lube it up or sometimes it needs replaced. It is attached to the Throttle Body and has a brown/black boot that looks like an accordion. The boot could be missing as they dry rot and fall off at times..
Old 01-06-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: Cold starts, pls see my post on cleaning ALL temp sensors as well AS THE THREADS THEY ARE MOUNTED ON.

Search this Thread