86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

passing emissions (yes, another one)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
passing emissions (yes, another one)

So I have a few questions regarding emissions. I've never had to take my truck and get it tested because by the time I was able to drive, my county did not require emissions testing. I hear rumors that the governor is trying to bring back emissions testing for the county I live in now.

My truck is the 22re with the california emissions. I'm missing a check valve for the emissions system (pic below). (also, anyone junking a cali toyota let me know, I'll by this piece off ya)

What are some things I can do to prepare for the new testing? I think the cat is the original cat, and it doesnt have a muffler (if a cherrybomb even counts)

Exhaust smells noticeable, but not horrible. A LOT better since I timed the engine properly. Only CEL code I'm getting is a 71, and I'm currently working on getting that fixed.

***by the way, that extra connector sitting there. Where does that go? I'm looking at the FSM and see no mentioning of these sensor connectors. Also, are the right colors going to the right spots?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 09-09-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd argue that they can't make standards retro-active. So that if they let you register the truck there in the past, they can't force you to change it now. Maybe they could make it so you'd have to pass something or other before you could transfer ownership, but they've already accepted you owning it so they can't make you do anything else unless you sell it. Get what I mean?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I'd argue that they can't make standards retro-active. So that if they let you register the truck there in the past, they can't force you to change it now. Maybe they could make it so you'd have to pass something or other before you could transfer ownership, but they've already accepted you owning it so they can't make you do anything else unless you sell it. Get what I mean?
Sort of. You're saying I've already registered the truck and it's mine, and it's up to the next guy who owns this to take care of the emissions stuff as they register it as a new owner (should that ever happen. I'll never sell this truck. Love it too much).

So they can't go back and say all previously registered vehicles without an emissions sticker needs to get one by x date?

-edit-
also, I posted a pic of my emissions setup. If you can see, I have the top/right check valve capped off with a hose that's blocked off at the end. Where does this go/what's it do?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 09-09-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
im almost sure that the decision of emissions in your area are dependent on how many people live there and how many cars are there due to pollution rather than how much money the government can rake in from a specific county. Its better for the environment to regulate and minimize the pollution being put into the air.

yeah i know i sound like a wierd tree hugger but im not lol

Last edited by volcomdork182; 09-10-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by volcomdork182
im almost sure that the decision of emissions in your area are dependent on how many people live there and how many cars are there due to pollution rather than how much money the government can rake in from a specific county. Its better for the environment to regulate and minimize the pollution being put into the air.

I agree, which is why I still have my cat and my emissions stuff. I like clean air, and I don't like getting sore throats from breathing exhaust all day.

I used to love riding my bike and walking places, but the exhaust blowing by on the side of the road makes it unfun (not a word, but fun to use)
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by volcomdork182

hehe.
volcomdork- I'm in California, just outside of Los Angeles, and trust me, we have plenty of tree huggers here. And oddly, the most vocal 'huggers all drive older VW's, Ford, Plymouth and GM station wagons and such. Go figure. Though I can say that the ones with the money are all driving hybrids even though it's been shown that building a hybrid pollutes the environment nearly as much as, if not more than, although in different ways, driving a late 60's / early 70's muscle car. Oh well.

But anyhow, you are correct that emissions regulations are strongly based on the number of people in the region... as is the cost of fuel, vehicle registration and insurance. So, in accordance with some interpretation of statistics, the fees are also determined by how much money the gov't can rake in.