Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

parts for 3.4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parts for 3.4 swap

hello
I am looking for info on what I will need to swap a 3.4 in to a 1990 SR5 pickup that right now has most of a 3.0 in it.

I started to just replace the head gasket and found that the front driver side cyclinder exhust valve had a big chunk missing out of it.:cry: I belive I will put it back together with just 1 replaced valve but don't think it will last all that long. I just don't want to put all that work and money into a motor with 275,000 on it.

So it is time to start planning a 3.4 swap... I have searched and it sounds like it will bolt right in and all I will need is a 3.4 motor that was manual and it's ecu. that just seems way too easy. what else do I need on my shoping list. thanks guys

Last edited by Travel Dodge; 10-05-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Hello, TD, and welcome to YotaTech!

There is a plethora of information here about the 3.4 swap. I recommend that you search the threads and read them all. That will give you a good idea of what you are getting into, and what you will need.

I am in the middle of my swap of an '02 Tacoma 3.4 into my '90 SR5 Pick Up. I chose to get a complete donor truck, as I'm planning to use a lot of things from the Taco. If you are not into going that far, I suggest that you start with a 3.4 engine with all of the bolt ons (alternator, power steering, A/C, and intake), the engine wiring harness (with NO cuts), and the ECU, and make sure that they all come out of the same Tacoma, Tundra or 4Runner (manual transmissions only, since you want a manual). Getting known matching components will save you a lot of grief, by everything I've read.

If possible, get the the VIN from the donor truck. You will need it if you get any of the Off Road Solutions conversion kits, and it would be smart to have it for maintenance issues later on, anyway.

Be sure to take a long look at Mt Goat's thread. He's got a lot of great infomation and picures in his write up. There are also good threads about the swap at http://www.ttora.com. Good luck with yours - I can't wait to get my truck back on the road with the new mill!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's some good info too. http://www.offroadsolutions.com/tech...ersion_kit.htm
Old 10-06-2006, 09:44 PM

thanks for the replys I found these links to help answer my own questions thought it might help others

good swap info
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1

lots of yota info
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=175795
Old 10-06-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you planning on doing this your self or getting a kit from ORS
Old 10-07-2006, 09:40 PM

I think I will do it myself as I have plenty of time to do it but I would prefer not to spend too much on the project. The $1000 or so for the kit seems a bit steep. The wiring does not sound like that big of a project as I am now 29 and been burning myself with a soldering iron for as long as I can remember.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well tell ya what it took me 2 full days to do the soldering for my truck. granted part of that was backing up and repeating somethings i messed up. but not all of it was as far as parts this thing can nickel and dime you to death in a real hurry. the first thing i would do is go thru and visit pirate4x4 go to the toyota FAQ section and look at page 3 very bottom. sean from TLT put together a pretty good list of what you will need. Also go to ORS and read thru their Lists. if your going to do the wiring your self go to techinfo.toyota.com and get a subscription for a month when your ready to do the wiring. its worth every penny. they have all the manuals there for everthing from 90 on up.

Required reading for this swap is mt_goats thread on it
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/3-4-swap-started-82145/

Doing a manual swap is definately easier then my auto swap.
I will be finishing my Thread on this swap in the next week and Posting it hear. i dont have as many pictures as i wanted. but ill put alot of info in it. i did end up using alot of my 3.0 parts and not having to get T100 part or conversion hoses.

Last but not least dont be shy and ask lots of questions.
that advice alone would have saved me alot of headaches

oh and just out of curiosity where are you located

Last edited by thefallman; 10-07-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:34 AM

thanks I will look into that info, I am in steamboat springs,, do you ski, need a couch to crash on and want to wrench in the evenings?

I got time before I will do this swap, I got the truck with a blown 3.0 head gasket and want to put it back together to see if it runs.

I don't think it will last to long after the antifreeze in the oil and the crack in the number 1 cylender exhust valve. I am just going to replace the one bad valve and HG and see what happens. It has been a learning process one way or another

anyways hopping to get more garage space and if that works i will find a 3.4 and start the swap