Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Painting truck a different color....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting truck a different color....

Ok, so with all these incredible "roll jobs" I've been seeing and after reading Tortis' thread, I've decided to paint the rig. My question: How dumb is it for me to paint the truck a different color? It's currently re... er pinkish. I was thinking , if I'm gona paint it, I might as well change it up and do a different color, but then, how hard is it to get the door jams, under hood, between all the moldings, etc, etc, etc. Should I just go with the red again?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Ok, so with all these incredible "roll jobs" I've been seeing and after reading Tortis' thread, I've decided to paint the rig. My question: How dumb is it for me to paint the truck a different color? It's currently re... er pinkish. I was thinking , if I'm gona paint it, I might as well change it up and do a different color, but then, how hard is it to get the door jams, under hood, between all the moldings, etc, etc, etc. Should I just go with the red again?

Well that depends on how fussy you want to be. If it was me and I really wanted a different color, I would take the time and do it. If you want the easy way out, go with red again as this will make it alot easer on you. Have the though of maby a 2 tone like black and red. This way you can keep the existing jams and stuff the same color. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 AM

two tone is not a bad idea. also keep the interior color in mind.
i would go a dark burgondy that way the jams/hood/etc would not have to be painted and not stick out so much when open. i painted my 85 black and it was silver originaly on gray interior and it looks fine.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 AM

I was in the same boat back in 2003. My red truck was really turning pink and in need of a paint job. I really would've like to painted it all black, but I knew it would be a task to paint the inside of the cab to match. I comprimised and went with a two tone and it worked out great.

Before

After
Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Nice!! Ya, I was thinking of the two-tone as well. Maybe Red & Silver or black. The interior is gray so I have almost all the options in the world haha. I am just trying to get a feel for how difficult and pain in the @ss it will be to have to do the jams etc. Actually the jams don't seem that bad, it's underneath the hood. I have to top off the the Runner now, so painting the bed should be easy. I just hate to see cars painted another color and still show the prior color on jams and hoods.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
I just hate to see cars painted another color and still show the prior color on jams and hoods.
I have sort of the same problem; the runner I got recently was originally painted brown, but somewhere along the line a previous owner painted the outside black. The interior is still tan, and door jams/under the hood are brown (though under the hood has a little more black thanks to the grime). Also, I recently got some seats from a '90 runner that are blue. So, the truck is in an ugly stage now: black outside, brown door jams, tan interior, blue seats. I'm going to end up taking all of the interior out, taking off all of the paint in various colors, and re-painting the whole thing black. I'll probably get some seat covers, but I have to decide if I'll be replacing the interior with something other than tan first, and if so, how much it'll cost me to get all new plastic molding and carpet in matching colors.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
spraying door jams isn't that big a project. are you spraying the paint? if not, at least do the strip down of trim and hardware yourself, which will save you loot and you'll know its done right.

remove the interior door panel, remove the window & hardware, seals, and gaskets. if they're brittle, you can buy replacements, or just "rehydrate" them with armor all. a few sessions of good misting and they will soften up and turn black like almost new, and come out easier. (you can bathe them in armor all knowing you'll be treating the whole vehicle with paint prep solution before the paint flies.) pull the door handles off on the outside, and anything else in the jam you want original you can then tape off with good masking tape (like VIN tags).

for a good "original" look, you'll need to pull the bed cap too, so you or your shop will then use plastic (drop cloths) to tape off the interior at the door openings and cap opening.

pull as much trim as you can to reduce what must be taped. then you can plastic and tape just major components, like your radiator, windshield, etc. spray whatever you can flat black first, like wheel wells, (give it time to dry) so you have good taping surfaces to outline your new color at the body's edges.

the hard part is the engine bay. if you dont mind a red bay, then just cover the entire motor with plastic, tape to the fender bolt strips for a nice straight line. otherwise you'll be removing off the firewall and laying it forward before covering with plastic. you may be better off doing some crafty spray with flat black and a straight-edge spray guard (cardboard) instead.

i've been having this same debate with my own red (pink) runner too. its been resprayed once and the cheap paint is fading worse than the original underneath. i've drawn up some schemes using toyota racing colors when considering keeping the jams red. check out my pic below for some ideas you're welcome to pirate.

here's a good link on self-painting: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...8&iSubCat=1436

good luck!

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 09-12-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: added link