Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Paint Question?

Old 01-17-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Question?

I was just wondering if anyone knew where to get extra paint because a I have 93 3.0 and I know the color code is 3K3 but i just dont know where to get some more paint to paint my fender flare. If anyone has any suggestions that would be apprecaited. Thakns
Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 PM

Autozone. I think they can order it in by your truck's no.s if they don't have it in stock
Old 01-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

never used them, but if you don't have a paint store around, here is a place online http://www.ppgcarpaint.com/paints-by...19&OEMCode=3k3
Old 01-17-2007, 09:11 PM

most sherwin williams have an automotive paint dept.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
most automotive parts stores have a section with touch up paint.

Duplicolor sells a wire selection of touch up paints. Looking on their site I see 3k4, but no 3k3. The duplicolor site only lets you search 94's, and up, and it would seem that they discontinued that color.

a little googling, and I came up with this
Old 01-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Thanks for all the help but I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with painting fender flares and if so how much paint they used. Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:29 PM

go to a body shop, they will sell you paint for touch ups, the only code they need is TOY and the color code, chose a good paint, here in california i prefer to use DIAMOND form RM, tell them what part of the car you want to paint, if your car has 2 colors like the main body color and trim color , tell them which color you want, and its better to take your car there to match the color, ask the PAINTER he will mix the color for you, it's better to deal with the painters not with the office, they will give you what you exactly want.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:02 PM

how much paint you need it depends what kind of finish your fender flares have, metal, pearl, or solids, for a fender flare only you need about 5 OZ fl., or less but buy 5 fl. oz. to prepare for painting there are some basics so the paint wont peel off, first : sand the damage area if there are no dents or any major damage like cracking you are on luck, ok sand the flares with 500 grid sandpaper onlye where you have scratches, once the scratches dissapeared , make it finer using 800 grid sandpaper, do not sand with your fingers use the hole hand and apply the sanding to the whole area try to bend it with the old paint , use water for sanding, and plent of it, keep watering the area where you are sanding with a rag, once you finish if its plastic, sand the rest of the part completely(if you are not doing touch ups) but dont let the old paint to come off only sand it so it will look opaque, now wash it with kitchen soap, rinse it and dry it, i suppose you took the fender flare off, its easier that way if not you have to mask the whole side of the car(i reccomend using plastic for that , you can buy it at any paint store, and adhesive tape,) now if you want to paint it by yoursef, u need a spray gun and a air compressor, if you want your paint to last , buy an plastic adeshive promoter (spray can) and aply to the naked plastic only(where is no paint or primer at all , ) if you dont need it dont use it, after that, you have to reduce your paint with a solvent, use the correct one, cant tell you wich one , cause all types of paint require its own kind of reducer, ok now the paint its reduced, pur it on your spray gun vase, using some kinf of filter(paper ones, theyer cheap) close the vase and start applying with low pressure , and the pain valve slighly open, aply one coat and let it dry well then aply other coat and let it dry, so it will cover it easy, the apply the clear coat, you can buy spray cans ,(automotive clear coat) apply7 it and thats it, let it dry . its only the basics to do a good job you need the right equipment. but that will do it, and if the fender flares are black its better and easier. apply any paint you want LOL
ok.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:24 PM

thanks for the advice but I still have one question you might be able to help me with. I am very new to this automotive painting stuff and I just bought some black plastic fender flares bushwacker style and I was wondering should I sand the plastic and prime it as well and I have read online that they sell aerosol paint and I was wondering if that is just for touch us stuff or could you use is to paint say a fender flare?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:08 AM

NEVER sand PLastics , only if it has scratches on it and only the spot where the scratch is, if the part is new , probably has a black sealer, if the top side (where the paint is) is different color from the inside part, then it has a sealer(black or gray) then the only thing you have to do is , sand it with 1000 sandpaper grit. but only to make it look scratched (1000 only) do not press hard. once all looks the same wash it with water , dry it and paint it, you can use aerosol cans, but it wont last long. now if the plastic is naked, don't sand it or anything, wash it with water and soap, dry it , the if you can find a plastic adhesion promoter(spray can) apply it to the whole part let it dry and then paint it. (if you apply the adhesion promoter you have to paint it right away.
NEVER SAND NAKED PLASTIC
Old 01-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

i like to scuff bare plastic with scotch bright, then use adhesion promoter..
Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the advice. Now can I get plastic adhesion promoter at any automotive store?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dwiegand
Thanks for the advice. Now can I get plastic adhesion promoter at any automotive store?
any paint store should carry it.. NAPA way have it too since they carry the Martin Senour aka Sherwin-Williams brand. just ask for a good plastic adhesion promoter.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by DudeBud
i like to scuff bare plastic with scotch bright, then use adhesion promoter..
yeah , that's good don't forget to use soap and water. to avoid "fish eyes"
Old 01-22-2007, 06:54 PM

if you are painting anything besides plastic, never use anything finer that 600 grit when you final sand, the paint needs something to grab on to. If you get the surface to smooth a power washer with blow all your paint off.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cweich
if you are painting anything besides plastic, never use anything finer that 600 grit when you final sand, the paint needs something to grab on to. If you get the surface to smooth a power washer with blow all your paint off.
never had a problem with going up to 1000 wet, most new BC paint adhere good enough, same goes with clear, when doing a blend, the panel is sanded with 1000, but i prefer 1500. Hides the scratches a little better.