Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pacesetter header fitment issues.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pacesetter header fitment issues.

I know I know, "Why'd you get a pacesetter? Those things are crap!" is what alot of people are going to say, but I had a cracked downpipe and needed a cheap new header so I chose pacesetter. For the amount of people who complain about it there are a bunch of people who dont say a word about it, just like anything else.

Anyways back on topic. I have an exhaust leak, and it leads me to believe that it is comming from the manifold part of the header. Where the EGR is suppost to bolt on to the header 2 nuts fit (the ones that are used to hold on the manifold to the block aswell) but the one bolt that holds on the EGR to the manifold is wayy off. What have other people done about this issue? Also how bad does and exhaust leak need to be to burn valves? Because thats the last thing I want to happen. Are the only downsides to the exhaust leak my engine sounding like a diesel VW?

Sorry if its a little tough to understand haha.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:00 PM

i used the stock gasket and just filled the holes up with high temp rtv. my holes didnt line up either. i dont have any exhaust leak
Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Really? Sweet. Which gaskets did you seal? Just the ones that go on the egr pipe? Or the entire exhaust manifold to the head?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:14 PM

I wouldn't worry about burning any valves. I drove my truck with a pretty bad exhaust leak at the manifold to downpipe/collector for a long time before I finally got around to fixing it.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:31 PM

I have a pacesetter on my 22re from the previous owner. The holes were filled kinda ghetto with 2 bolts grinded down to sit flush with the flange. no leak and it works, but I wouldn't ever buy one. A friend of mine drove around with the far-back exhaust bolt stripped with a bad tick-tick-tick coming from it for a while with no valve damage.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Ok good. Its not like I plan on driving this for an extendend period of time before fixing it or anything. I was just wondering. I will try that high temp rtv to try and fix the leak. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 PM

I just welded all the holes up!
Attached Thumbnails Pacesetter header fitment issues.-picture-005.jpg   Pacesetter header fitment issues.-picture-011.jpg  
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 PM

haha Indeed you did. Did you completly remove the EGR or just crimp that end right there haha?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol this is funny, my pacesetter leaks too, its a joke.... im just too lazy to pull it off and load it full of that rtv crap hahaha if somebody can post pics of what exactly to do, that would be dope
Old 04-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ohyeahcrx
haha Indeed you did. Did you completly remove the EGR or just crimp that end right there haha?
Thats the air induction tube got a block off plate on the way.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by The truck doctor
Thats the air induction tube got a block off plate on the way.
Any drawbacks to running with the air induction tube blocked off?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 AM

I guess I am going to get some high temp RTV and gonna put it on the EGR intake tube?? Any inputs to if this would work??˘
Old 04-07-2010, 04:08 PM

i am pulling mine off 2maro to repaint it. i will take a few pics. might try drilling out the hole so that it actually lines up. then bolt/rtv it.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by akaphilly
i am pulling mine off 2maro to repaint it. i will take a few pics. might try drilling out the hole so that it actually lines up. then bolt/rtv it.
Sweet dude thanks. I was thinking about doing the same. Also let me know what size and pitch ect the bolt is.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:03 PM

k forget waht i said earlier. now i remember. it was leaking bad with the pacesetter gasket. and since the bolts would not line up i filled them with rtv. after about a month i took the header off and the gasket fell into peices. i looked at the stock gasket and noticed it did not have holes for bolts where it was leaking before.(center hole in pic) so i threw it on and everything has been good since. no leak
Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM

i fixed my exhaust leak a week ago with a new stock gasket and some rtv and it worked amazing. that gasket that pacesetter gives you is garbage, its like a crappy peice of cardboard, same with the ones for the egr. i just got a new gasket and put the rvt on it and tightnend it up and no exhaust leak. i would recomend not using another pacesetter gasket.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:39 PM

For the record, my pacesetter leaks too. And i second the crap provided gasket, although I don't think thats the only reason it leaks. I wouldn't buy another pacesetter product if my life depended on it, as its been nothing but a pain since day one.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by plumo57
For the record, my pacesetter leaks too. And i second the crap provided gasket, although I don't think thats the only reason it leaks. I wouldn't buy another pacesetter product if my life depended on it, as its been nothing but a pain since day one.
yeah i hear you, i will never buy something from them again ether but i have to say, its been 2 weeks since i did the gasket and rtv and its still nice and quiet with no exhaust leaks i would recomend doing the stock replacement gasket that u would use with the stock manifold and run a little bit of rtv around it!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
yeah i hear you, i will never buy something from them again ether but i have to say, its been 2 weeks since i did the gasket and rtv and its still nice and quiet with no exhaust leaks i would recomend doing the stock replacement gasket that u would use with the stock manifold and run a little bit of rtv around it!
SIounds like a plan. What about the bolt that goes through the EGR tube into the header? The one they provided doesnt fit at all. Does yours? Or did you just get a new one?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ohyeahcrx
SIounds like a plan. What about the bolt that goes through the EGR tube into the header? The one they provided doesnt fit at all. Does yours? Or did you just get a new one?
i only put the rtv on around the exhust port gasket, and i used the stock replacement egr gaskets that came with the manifold gasket. i figured since the egr never leaked before that it should be fine and it has been sofar. i would run a small amount around the gasket for the header and its not really needed around the egr then fire it up for a few seconds to get the silcon warm and seal better, then let its sit overnight. worked for me remember that headers are know to have the bolts loosen out so make sure you check the bolts every 2-3 weeks too make sure they are tight

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pacesetter header fitment issues.