86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pacesetter Auto header on 5 speed 1st gen 4runner Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pacesetter Auto header on 5 speed 1st gen 4runner Fitment

Alright before yall light the torches Yes I know about thorly and LCE and the plan was to get one of them once my contract starts but I just snapped a stud off replacing my o2 sensor and already had a leak on the manifold gasket. So between having to buy a new gasket anyway, pulling, drilling and tapping the manifold im just looking at gettin a pacesetter now and will upgrade down the road. Yes I know im buying a part twice but I was already getting ready to replace the entire exhaust anyway and do the header later so I will just havta fit the better header to the new system downthe road.

Ok the question pacesetter has the header for 5 speed listed as 70-1188 and the auto is 70-1187

The 5 speed has no o2 onthe header at all just on the pipe that hooks up to the collector. being that this is a single wire o2 dosent it need to be alot closer to the engine to function proporly?

the auto has 1 o2 on a single primary simular to the thorly and 1 on the bolt on pipe that is clearly bent to clear the auto tranny. I am not planning to us the secondary pipe and am building straight off the header anyway so I am thinkin I can just get the auto version and call it a day, any objections? I have been staring at the pics on summit and jegs and outside of th o2 on the auto I really dont see any differance in the header itsself andthe "customer service" at both places suck all they know how to do is take your order. I am trying to order tonight if possible so any input is greatly appreciated an if nothing else ima call pacesetter direct in the am. Thanks guys
Old 11-09-2012, 03:09 AM

I have a pacesetter on my 94 P/U. I got the coated one. It fits and works great. I have had no problems with it at all.
As far as the O2 sensor, mine is downstream a little. I have it in the pipe after the header collector and it works great for me.
I believe pacesetter has gotten better in the last couple of years. I know it is cheaper than the other ones and people say the quality is crap, but mine came to me looking great and fitting great. I did not use the gaskets they sent with it. They are just paper. I went to Napa and got a gasket and I used Red high temp silicone on both sides of the gasket. Just a good coat on both sides. Run it a bit and get it up to temp and then after it cools off, check header bolts and re-tighten. Should be ok.
Good luck. I believe you will be ok on the O2 sensor. Mine is good.
Ray
Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 PM

Ya I think for the price point they are hard to beat and quality has definatly seem to go up latley the main complaints I hear now is still the "OMG the paint burned off in like 10 min wat a POS" even tho it says its just a reg paint to keep from rusting in the warehouse and not near as many warped flange/bad leaks from before. I am not springing for their coating I got a can of VHF header heat paint standing by and have had good results even on thin aftermarket bike headers. I talked with pacesetter today and was told that the 70-1187 will work fine just cant use the extra pipe which I wasnt goin to anyway. I do wonder why they just dont have the 5 speed header the same and just have differnt bolt on pipes instead of stocking 2 different headers? on your 94 you just have the single upstream single wire o2 as well? did you havta lengthin ure o2 wire to make it fit? thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 PM

I got a good price on the coated one. That is the only reason I got it. They also told me the extra pipe would not work, but it did work good for me. I modified the rest of my exhaust to make it work though. I have no cat and ran it to a flowmaster and then duals out the back. Sounds good, not very loud either.
I did not have to change the wires on my O2 sensor. I was able to pull a little slack and it worked great.
Yeah the high heat header paint works pretty good. I have used it before also.
I think you will be good with it. Mine has been on for 3 years and no problems.
Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.
Ray
Old 11-09-2012, 05:53 PM

ok cool thats good to know thx. What size pipe are u running now? Im looking at 2.25 pipe, single in/out flowmaster, single tail pipe commin out the side and no cat as well. Right now Im running open pipe from were the cat bolts up to the down pipe and it sounds pretty mean(like a sport bike with a cold LOL) but I can see that getting old pretty quick especialy ona along trip or on a trail or sumthin
Old 11-09-2012, 06:14 PM

I have 2.25 all the way. I had a single in, dual out Flowmaster my son gave me off of something he had and I used it. It was nearly new and he did not like it. It was not loud enough for him.
I know what you mean about the noise. I do not usually go on real long trips in the Truck. If I do, it does get a little annoying but I like it. LOL.
Mine sure ran better with header. It helped above 2500 for sure.
I think you will be happy.
Ray
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Well just ordered the header from summit and decided to just go wit the 5 speed model and put the o2 after the collecter like you said racer so thanks for the input on the o2 function down low. staring at the engine bay there is only like a .5" gap were the the pipe routes and while the guy at pacesetter said he thought the auto would fit and I dont really see why not, I decieded to not havta deal with possibly stripping her down and then having to return and wait for a replacement to come in cause it dont fit.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 AM

I bet it will work just fine.
Yeah I would not tear it down till you see the parts.
Just don't use the crappy gasket that they send with the header.
Let me know how it works out.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 PM

ya 10-4 on the gasket I ordered a factory one from the stealership along with all the studs and nuts just to be on the safe side I do tend to break alota stuff thanks will do
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM

Ok the header came in yesterday and I threw her on. Fitment was ok I did have to bang in one of the primaries to clear the bell housing so the flange could tighten up fully against the head. Also I was not planning on using the supplied second pipe but would not have worked anyway the o2 fitting on it would have put the sensor further down then were the cat used to be, y I dont know. outside of that seems pretty nice, Had all the extra emmission holes welded up as well as outside each primary on the flange and put the o2 on the collecter itself. Ran her open header yesterday and while obviously still needs some more backpressure definatly seems to rip a bit harder and sounds pretty mean. Should have the rest of the exhaust on today
Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 PM

Got the exhaust done today and what difference I got the low end back from the back pressure and just like you said racer big differance over 2500. I went with 2.25 single into new freebie muffler (stock type cylinder style replacement for v8 trucks and vans flows more then enuff for the lil 2.4 and sounds pretty good just a bit louder then stock) single in/out and exit in front of the right rear. So far no leaks and the VHT is holdin up fine. Thanks again racer for your input. Seems most of the pacesetter issues have been straighten out and the lil bit of tweekin wasent bad so if your on a budget and cant do the $400 headers I would definetly recomend
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM

Glad you got it done. I am sure you will be happy.
Mine has been on for about 2 1/2 years and no problems.
I will be over in Fla in March for Bike week. Hope the weather holds out.
Take care.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:12 AM

Thx diggin it so far for sure. U riding or driving down?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:13 PM

I will ride down. It should be fun. I have been there a couple of times. This year some friends from Va. are coming so it will be interesting.
Take it easy.