Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Overheating after valve clearance adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Overheating after valve clearance adjustment

Sonofabitch.

I've been dealing with a bit of a rough idle and have been meaning to check the valve clearances and emissions control system for a while. Today, I took the valve cover off and set the valve clearances according to the FSM. In reassembly, I checked most of the vacuum lines on the top end and found the inlets on the VSV were busted off and two vacuum lines were dangling loose, the one coming from the AS Reed Valve and the one coming from the manifold with the Check Valve in line. In reassembly, I installed the new valve cover gasket and grommets and plugged the two loose vacuum lines. I reconnected the other vacuum lines with about 90% certainty. It's possible that the two hoses that are side by side on the top of the EGR Vacuum Modulator got flip flopped.

The only other thing, one of the acorn nuts for the valve cover slipped out of my fingers when I was taking the cover off, and fell somewhere down below the distributor. I looked for it for nearly 30 minutes and couldn't find it for the life of me. I started the truck and everything ran fine. Drove it for about 15 minutes and it started boiling over like a mother. I'm scratching my head. Anyone got some input?