Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Other owners of a flex a lite black magic fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Other owners of a flex a lite black magic fan

How long do you have to replace the coolant temp sensor on the fan setup? I have only had my fan for 6 months and i just had the 2nd coolant sensor go bad on me. I wired it right. Can anybody help? I would think the sensor would last much longer.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
ECHO, echo, e c h o . . .
Old 11-07-2009, 06:33 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
LOL, there's a post that will answer you question in the 86-95 section. Think its "those who have electric fans"
Old 11-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

ah man, the mods deleted my good post on the other duplicate thread...ok, even for me I did keep it pretty clean...
Old 11-07-2009, 10:57 PM

well my plan is to get an aftermarket universal temp sensor and wire it into the relay that came with the fan. I think that should work. The relay for the fan works just fine plus I carry and extra in my truck so i can replace it if it goes bad. but i guess i will have to see how it goes. any other suggestions?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:29 AM

I totally removed the flexalite controller.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

x2, buy a universal controller and TOTALLY replace the current one. WAY better easier to adjust and water proof as long as you seal the relay to the base.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:15 PM

that sounds like a good plan to me. I just hope it lasts.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed on how long mine lasts. I just installed a Flex A lite fan into my rig today. I have no idea how old it is.. but it sure was dusty =)

The Control Board had a melted diode so i replaced that (thanks old alarm clock!)

It's working fine now, i have it set to kick in at 210F, and it works great so far.

Aftermarket controllers are only like $30-$50 i think?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Well good luck with that. I resurrected mine too off of ebay and the control board was PACKED full of mud. I cleaned it all out and it worked flawlessly...until the board had a melt down after a run and literally fused itself into a pile of muck. The new digital controller(and yes $30-50) I put on not only makes it easier to adjust, it's water proof.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:38 PM

Do you run an inline fuse?

Their tech guy was a bit smart-ass'ish via email when i was asking for help in finding a replacement board and indentifying my fan model. I told him about the diode (which i originally called a resistor.. it was melted! i couldnt tell!) ... But he did say to run a 25amp inline fuse so i did. Might prevent a meltdown?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Yup, had a fuse and everything. I was almost home that day and looked down and saw my fan light was on but I couldn't hear the fan running. I pulled up to the house turned the motor off and notice the light was STILL on. Hmmmmm, so I popped the hood and saw that one of the blades and got itself bent FORWARD and caught the frame for the fan motor support!!! I was like awww geeez. So, went into the cab turned the fan override switch to off and went to unjam the fan blade. As soon as I got the fan free the dang thing spooled up!!! idk, some how that stupid board melted down in such a way that it started to pull power from the SWITCH!!!! Thats why the fuse never went.

**Never trust a switch!!!** LOL!! I was lucky I didn't loose a finger.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:05 PM

im running an inline fuse on my fan setup and everytime i work on it i have the fuse out of it.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:22 PM

I wired my aftermarket controller into the harness i'd made for the flexalite controller. Talk about redundantacies. Two fuses on the power supply, what can I say didn't want to waist the time or the wire to redo it and didn't want additional splices. Will spend some time on it down the road, then I'll put an auto reseting circuit breaker on it.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i loved my flex-a-lite fan. my truck never had a problem. never over heated a/c was cold as hell. until i killed it in a big water hole because i didnt have it on a switch
Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 AM

with the fan stuck, it'd still be sending full power, wouldnt of killed the fuse because it wasnt shorting out.. But probably overheated the control board/temp control.

They say you HAVE to use their switch or you'll harm the electronics? I dont get why? I just want to run a switch post inline fuse on the hot lead to the control board.. just kill the power.. fans off.. why couldnt i do this? How would this hurt the control board/temp control/ fan ???????? It'd be the same as pulling the fuse.. just intead use a switch.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:16 AM

or why not run a switch on the auxilliary ignition wire? ..the one you either splice into the same battery wire.. or wire into the ignition? .. the wire that controls whether the fan stays on after the motor is off or not.

Couldnt this be used to turn the whole thing off? ...

i emailed the tech at flex a lite.. see what response i get
Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 AM

My flexalites original controls crapped out in line for emissions testing on a brand new engine. I was pissed they sent me a new one free of charge. I've had issues with the temp control knob loosing the setting while wheeling more than one occasion. I've blown fuses out when I forgot to turn the fan off going through deep water. I've had the fan blade grenade on me while deep in the mountains. When you look at aftermarket controllers go to AutoZone as they carry two on cheaper that is just like the original and one with a 40amp relay. Once it set up to my liking I'm going to glue the adjustment knob in place and silicon the intire base.

Drew give flexalite a call, their located in Fife. But it I was to do it again I'd go Tuarus. Flexalite may be the greatest think since sliced bread for street rods but for a wheeler, hmmm no.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

These things are garbage:

This is what you'll need to run a Flex-a-lite fan:

I agree though about the issues with the Flex-a-lite fan. I've found it to be a great fan, but I am glad that I didn't buy the thing brand new. I've put lots of money into it to get it to properly function(ie: restriced drivers side motor mount, multiple fan replacements, new controller...). Those who DON'T have an A/C compressor may have some better luck with these fans. If I was to do it again I would go to the junkyard, but that's just me 'cause I love junkyards!!!

Last edited by BigBluePile; 11-10-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:08 PM

I agree with saying that the factory temp sensor is trash. I just picked up the new temp sensor for my truck today. I still have the fan on manual mode for now. Im going to wire up the fan when I put in my new gm 1 wire alternator on the truck because right now my alternator is having a hard time keeping up with the fans. I have the flex a lite fan and another one on the a/c condenser. My a/c gets so cold with both fans on that my compressor has to shut off so it dosent freeze. It even does that when its 110 out sitting in traffic.

Quick Reply: Other owners of a flex a lite black magic fan