Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oreo! '94 Base Pickup w/ blown HG.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oreo! '94 Base Pickup w/ blown HG.

Well, greetings everyone. ^_^

Anyone who knows me already picked up that I have a 1994 Toyota Pickup. Too normal and average to be pointed out, but it's finally mine! Kinda.

This is Oreo. Pardon the poor picture, my camera is on the lame side.

Onto the reason it's here in the first place. It's been parked for about half a year now, sadly. It's set up to be mine, but I have to get it running first, and with that came diagnostics. At least what I remember from a year ago.

Engine's overheats badly within minuites
Radiator has steam billowing out
Water jets out from exhaust manifold/exhaust pipe junction
Goes through copious amounts of water at a time

With all of that, I am going to take a pretty fair guess that it's the head gasket blown. Of course the manifolds gaskets are going to need to be replaced as well, but I'm sure that will be done as I work on it.

To be fair, this is the first time I've gotten this far into an engine hands-on. I am going to just say right now that while I am mechanically adept, I am still a complete newb to this and will probably ask stupid questions. Bare with me X3. I finally got around to beginning to work on it (Got my Haynes manual in the mail today :3), and drained both the oil and the radiator. Really, it was mostly in the oil.

I opened the bolt under the oil pan to be greeted with a liberal spray of coolant, which probably was 2/5 of the fluid that came out of the engine. It's settled now and pretty obvious the fluids mixed.

When time allows and money permits I'm going to be working on Oreo. I already have the TIS Manual from this site (It was holding me over until the Haynes got here this afternoon) as well as been using this site as a resource. Already want to say THANKS to everyone for all of the information here, but if you have any more specific to this job I'd love to get my hands on it.

I already have gone over a few head gasket jobs that have been posted here, and I see a lot of 'LABEL, LABEL, LABEL EVERYTHING' and 'Take tons of pictures.' I have plenty of masking tape and a few sharpies, and cardboard for bolts and stuff to be taped to. Also got tons of fluorescent zip ties for anything that needs zip ties, and far too many sandwich bags for a healthy person to own. Picked up some engine degreaser as well as liquid wrench. I also have metric sockets for anything from 3 to 18 MM, extenders, a few adjustable wrenches, plenty of open end wrenches, screwdrivers... Am I forgetting anything? :o

I'm going to mainly be following the Haynes manual is its providing me the most clarity from the primary reading. I have a Chiltons on the way as well for secondary referencing should i get stuck, along with the TIS manual.

I'm posting this thread as both a kind of record for myself and for others to make comment on. PLEASE make a comment if you see something that would be beneficial, I prefer criticism to failure later on.

Good luck, Me. This should be interesting. <_<

EDIT: Just hit my first stupid question.

I was originally going to purchase the Gasket set from O'reileys, though are these inferior/superior to anything I should be aware of? I am on a tight financial plan, I just want something that won't fail and will give good durability, nothing fancy.

Last edited by Zerbula; 07-08-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
save yourself problems in the long run and get an OEM toyota HG.my 2c.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM

All right then. Looking around, I think OEM is probably the best choice. Just hope luck holds and the quality of the job matches the parts quality.

I found a full Valve grind set (that's the set I want for this job, correct?) for $115. Reasonable? I am not sure, but do I need to get some new head bolts as well for this job, or would it be wiser to reuse them?

EDIT: so I don't lose it myself and if they turn out to be something useful for others
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...112-35330.html

Last edited by Zerbula; 07-08-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 PM

22r/re head bolts are not torque to yield so you can reuse them. And try this http://www.trademotion.com/parts/ind...rch&siteid=840 they have free shipping on orders $100 and up.

Last edited by Bullet22r; 07-08-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 PM

New head bolts are the way to go. I get most of my parts from RockAuto.
Go with OEM gaskets.
There are lots of things the forums will tell you that the manual won't.
Do LOTS of research !
Check your timing chain tensioner while you are in there.