Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

OMG, IT'S ALIVE!! (Finally)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG, IT'S ALIVE!! (Finally)

Okay, I'm a noob to this site so forgive the mistakes. I just wanted to thank everyone involved with the tech posts. My '91 4Runner finally has some balls.
Quick rundown on the truck that I bought 5 years ago. This is the vehicle that I bought to get around in the bush that I can pack around fishing, camping, skiing gear and not be upset if I slide into a tree (so long as I can exit the truck somehow afterwards). I love the smaller stance of the 4-Runner as is allows me to go down a lot of quad trails that fullsize 4X's can't get into. Also love the gearing as I could climb some pretty good hills in 4low at idle. Downside, lack of power on the road. That said, here's how it all happened.

Phase 1:
At first it seemed to run okay, although a little underpowered. One year after purchase, the head gasket blew. I replaced with Toyota parts but nobody told me about the knock sensor harness. So I got the infamous 5-2 code. CEL on, gutless as hell, I drove it off and on for about a year like that.

Phase 2:
Remembering what I went through the first time, I bit the bullet and took it into the shop to have the knock sensor replaced (still didn't know about the harness). While it was in there I had the cams reground by Colt, a larger exhaust installed and the Cat's removed (yes, we can still do that here in Alberta). I was expecting better performance and pull. Boy was I disappointed. Tried bumping the timing up to 12deg and that helped a bit, but it was still a dog. Found out about the harness about a month later but by then I had found the check of the knock sensor circuit was tapping on the block and watching the timing bounce (Duh, LOL). I left the timing at 12BTDC and decided to run it til it quit.

Phase 3:
F-Fwd to 2weeks ago, I am surfing around the web looking for some way to unload or destroy the truck (actually starting to dig into knock sensor causes) and found your site. After reading some of your tech stuff, I stumbled on the 'Intake silencer removal' and the one on openning up the airbox (found in the performance section) and decided to try it out. It's so simple, the Airbox mod took 10 minutes (I didn't drill out the bottom as I do splash around sometimes) and the silencer mod I was able to complete in less than one hour after I rounded up the parts.

The Outcome:
Started off with a baseline run by climbing up the road to my house in third gear and trying to keep it at 50kph(30mph). The first run I was barely able to keep it at 50. Backed off timing to 10 and ran again, had to downshift.

Did the airbox mod and put timing back to 12 and tested again. This time there was a slight increase in speed (about 2-3 kph over a 1/2mile climb).

Did the silencer mod and tried again. BAM, I gained almost 10kph over the same climb. Thoroughly impressed. Tried it again with timing at 13 BTDC and had even more poop. And, the engine doesn't seem to surge under acceleration like it used to.

Conclusion: These mods are definitely worth the small amount of effort needed, especially if you have done any head work. A big thank-you to the guys that dreamed these up. I have a '64 Buick sitting in the garage under a cover, but after today the 4Runner is my new hot rod. This is definitely in the true hotrodding spirit.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 03-07-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Watch the language in the title please
Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing to ask after all that. How much timing can I safely get away with (am running with 91octane)? I'm thinking of trying 14 or even 15deg if I can get away with it.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Congratulations

:wabbit2:

PS please watch the inferred language and review the forum rules if you have any questions.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another Albertan! Welcome to Yotatech.
If you're looking for a local group, check out CT4WD.
Good group, lots of different vehicles, weekly meetings and trail runs.
CT4WD.com or click the link in my signature.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From my experience and perusing of the forums, the 3vze can reliably handle 12deg on 87 octane... assuming good health. I may have seen a thread about a turbo'd 3vze (other HEAVY mods) that was running 21deg on 91, but I do not think that is advised without the mods.

Yes, that ISR mod seems very good for low/mid range torque. Definitely helped me keep speed up big hills, and it doesn't seem to have to work as hard to get the revs up from idle.