86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OME rear leaf spring owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OME rear leaf spring owners

well to start off...my truck like a lot of other ones has got a saggy rear. my truck has a pro comp stage 2 lift, bj spacers in the front, and longer shackles in the rear. my leafs are worn out and im lookin to replace them and the lift blocks, plus add a better load capacity for my truck. i dont want to go with the zuk mod. i started looking into the all-pro 4" springs but the price + the fact that you have to relocate the hangers turned me away from them. so i decided on going with the 2.5" OME springs plus a 1.5-2" block in the rear from Rocky-Road.com. However i still have some questions:

1. what are the differences between the 47" and the 43" length springs?
2. how are these springs in general?
3. hows the installation?
4. and are there any other cheaper sites that offer these springs?

thanks for your help!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 PM

Call ARB and they will answer all your questions about spring lengths and which springs u need. Install is very easy in the rear. Don't go with blocks. Just get the 4" springs. I will say I have an issue with one of my spring packs in the rear. It is relaxing far more than the other three. Causing my runner to ride the way it did with the origional sagging springs. I am going to switch sides just to ensure it is the spring and not something else. If it is the same I will request a new spring pack from them.

Later
Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 PM

I'm wondering if blocks will even be needed in the rear of your truck with the Old Man Emus? I put a set in the rear of my '88 4runner w/ bj spacers in the front and the torsion bars turned up slightly and still have a good bit of rake in the rear. They certainly added more than the stated 2 - 2 1/2 inches of lift. I put the springs in around November of this past year, so they've had plenty of time to settle. Also, I've hauled a few heavy loads in the rear, and they've seen a good bit of flexing. So far, they have not started to sag any. I have had no compaints with them, they are a huge improvement over the worn stock springs. They do have a firm ride to them, but flex pretty well.
BTW, I ordered mine thru 4x4 Connection, who seemed to have reasonable prices.

Last edited by '884Runner; 06-10-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:16 AM

Got mine through 4x4connection also. Wabbit also sells them.

Yeah I have never heard of anyone else having the issue I do with the spring pack. But I am sure they will take care of it. Other than this one little issue I love them.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I could be wrong on this but the difference between the 47" springs and the 43" springs is about 4". haha. jk. Not sure hot the years split, but the spring on my 87 runner are 43" and the downey springs on my 92 truck are 47"
Old 06-11-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love mine, they were a dream to install. They bolted right in and ride great. I have the 2" springs, so they are a bit softer rate than the 2 1/2" versions.

I bought their bushing kit for the springs. It does not include a sleeve for the front eye, so, you have to burn yours out of the old springs, unless you buy a new one.

The only complaint I would have with them is in regards to their recommended shocks. They are barely long enough for the full droop of the springs. I had to rotate the bottom plate around a bit on the driver's side to make sure the shock is not limitiing down travel. But, you are going to need longer shocks anyway, due to the blocks and/or the longer shackles.

They are made in Malaysia and are less than $100 each. I have visited numerous die casters, injection molders, machine/milling and sheetmetal shops in Malaysia through my job. All in all, the Malaysians (and Chinese, mostly Chinese managers/owners) are very industrious and technically capable. In fact they have better equipment there than we do here, as the government subsidizes all of the capital equipment purchases (but pay near nothing in entitlement/social programs).

I bought mine from 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers. They just ordered them up and I picked them up a week later. They cover the shipping, but I had to pay sales tax. It all washed out versus mail order, cost wise.

There was another Yotatecher who posted up a few months ago that he had a very stiff ride with his OME springs. I never did see a resolution to that, it sounded like he was bound up for some reason.

Last edited by OutlawMike; 06-11-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:12 PM

thanks everyone for the help!!!

well the reason for the 2inch blocks in the rear is so that when i do install the 2.5 inch longer OME springs...it will match the height of the 4 inch procomp up front plus the bj spacers. im guessing ill need the 47" springs since my truck is a 91....and longer shocks. the procomp shocks are probably not long enough
Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock springs

you have 2.5 inch bj spacers in the front and a 2.5 inch OME springs? is that the set up your running?
i have spacers in the front and add a leaf in the rear but im thinking of going to new OME springs could you e mail me the ones you ordered?

Originally Posted by '884Runner
I'm wondering if blocks will even be needed in the rear of your truck with the Old Man Emus? I put a set in the rear of my '88 4runner w/ bj spacers in the front and the torsion bars turned up slightly and still have a good bit of rake in the rear. They certainly added more than the stated 2 - 2 1/2 inches of lift. I put the springs in around November of this past year, so they've had plenty of time to settle. Also, I've hauled a few heavy loads in the rear, and they've seen a good bit of flexing. So far, they have not started to sag any. I have had no compaints with them, they are a huge improvement over the worn stock springs. They do have a firm ride to them, but flex pretty well.
BTW, I ordered mine thru 4x4 Connection, who seemed to have reasonable prices.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 PM

another question for you guys...i was wondering whats the OME "anti inversion kit"? are those their greasable shackles? and if so how long are they? im guessing that they might be stock length
Old 11-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
anti-inversion shackles are triangle shaped (instead of linear) and have a horizontal connector in that 3rd corner that is designed so that it contacts the frame before the leaf has a chance to invert on itself. google it and you'll see some pics.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM

thanks man...i guess im going to go ahead and order the 47" medium springs, bushing, and shackle from rocky road. their shipping to hawaii was the cheapest. thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 04:40 PM

does anyone know the specs on the OME anti inversion shackles? specifically the length and if its longer than stock length?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by joshuapc
does anyone know the specs on the OME anti inversion shackles? specifically the length and if its longer than stock length?
the ones I ordered are stock length. I don't remember if they had longer ones or not available.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawMike
There was another Yotatecher who posted up a few months ago that he had a very stiff ride with his OME springs. I never did see a resolution to that, it sounded like he was bound up for some reason.
that may have been me, and yes I was binding up between the shackles. I ordered the OME greaseable shackles and the springs ride great now.

unless you are re-using the stock bushings and shackles I think you will need one-piece shackles or ones with shouldered bolts like the OMEs to prevent the binding between the shackle plates.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:07 PM

the reason for the length info is that i currently have longer shackles, stock spring w/add a leaf, and block. when i replace the stock springs with the OME springs, i want to change the shackle so i was wondering if the ome shackles provide any lift. if not than i might order longer greasable shackles from Long Range Off Road
Old 12-02-2010, 09:03 AM

anyone?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
30 seconds of searching will net you the answer that OME shackles for our rigs are stock length......or since a 2" lift OME lift kit comes with new shackles and new 2" lift leaf springs, then the shackles have to be stock length otherwise it'd be more than 2" of lift, right? you could also just use your current ones. how long are the current ones you have?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
30 seconds of searching will net you the answer that OME shackles for our rigs are stock length......or since a 2" lift OME lift kit comes with new shackles and new 2" lift leaf springs, then the shackles have to be stock length otherwise it'd be more than 2" of lift, right? you could also just use your current ones. how long are the current ones you have?
haha good point! i tried searching a lot but nothing on the exact length of the shackle. i measured my shackle and its 5.5 inches between the centers of both bolts. being that im only changing the spring, my truck will pitch forward with the extra lift from the springs. ill decide then if i need to go with a shorter block or shorter shackle.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 PM

anyone know the differences in weight load capacity between the MD and HD?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 PM

this is because i do a lot of camping with my truck. we carry about 150-180lbs of ice pluss all the camping gear and fishing gear over rough lava terrain. i dont want to purchase too light of a spring and have the same saggy ass when i load up as with the stock springs

Quick Reply: OME rear leaf spring owners