Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Old Man Emu Suspension Kit Installed....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The idea behind the OME suspensions is that they'll lift it enough you won't NEED other mods, but they still may be a good idea. Also, the HD springs you got are truly designed to constantly have that 350 or so lbs of stuff in the back that they're rated for, so if you matched the front to an empty rear, I think it may be a little higher than OME intended. Get a pic of your control arms from the front so we can see what the angle is at, it may not be as extreme as I'm picturing or even as tall as mine.

Dave, as for my cv's, I have 1 that is a stock replacement, brand new at time of purchase, not a reman, that is made by EMPI(the big air cooled VW hotrod brand), and the other one I'm running is an Autozone lifetime warranty reman. I'm not sure at this point which side has which anymore, so I can't tell you which one is more flexible, but one side is, slightly. I'd suspect the EMPI is more flexible. One day I'll just reboot the other EMPI assembly I have and replace the Autozone one, as I simply have more faith in the EMPI name.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will dooo

Jonny ,
will doo asap. I also want to post before and after pics too just need to figure out if i can upload pics from puter or if i have to use photobucket.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Photobucket is better for pic size, that way us without 50" flatscreen monitors can still see what we're s'posed to.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
regarding your concern for your CV joints - if your mechanic leveled out your rig via t-bar crank, then install some BJ spacers and lower it back down a tad via the t-bars. I basically did this on my PU to match the OME rear leafs, which made it raked like yours - CV angle is just fine and no worries. If you do end up with some CV issues, most likely a lot of it will have to do with the age of them combined with a change in angle, and not because of extreme angles (unless it's really extreme - pics will help) Regardless, if they leak they would probably benefit from either a servicing and reboot, or an all out replacement so you have a trail spare.

This should keep the height, but lessen the CV angle you will have to get another alignment afterward - which is why i like the Firestone lifetime alignment (cheaper than 2 alignments from most shops and can repeat as often as you like). I chose to break in my leaf springs faster by carrying around a lot of weight and hitting up some bumpy and curvy roads to flex them out a bit - i'm sure the same applies to a 4runner.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the HD OME springs i put on my 4runner settled a fuz but always maintained somewhat of a rake. I just loaded it back up with 100lbs of gear and never worried about it.

It was noticeably rougher till you got about 200+lbs in the rear.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
regarding your concern for your CV joints - if your mechanic leveled out your rig via t-bar crank, then install some BJ spacers and lower it back down a tad via the t-bars. I basically did this on my PU to match the OME rear leafs, which made it raked like yours - CV angle is just fine and no worries. If you do end up with some CV issues, most likely a lot of it will have to do with the age of them combined with a change in angle, and not because of extreme angles (unless it's really extreme - pics will help) Regardless, if they leak they would probably benefit from either a servicing and reboot, or an all out replacement so you have a trail spare.

This should keep the height, but lessen the CV angle you will have to get another alignment afterward - which is why i like the Firestone lifetime alignment (cheaper than 2 alignments from most shops and can repeat as often as you like). I chose to break in my leaf springs faster by carrying around a lot of weight and hitting up some bumpy and curvy roads to flex them out a bit - i'm sure the same applies to a 4runner.
Thanks for that info, Highonpot. It's good to hear from someone who has done what you want to do and can learn from their personal experience. What size on your spacers?

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
The idea behind the OME suspensions is that they'll lift it enough you won't NEED other mods, but they still may be a good idea. Also, the HD springs you got are truly designed to constantly have that 350 or so lbs of stuff in the back that they're rated for, so if you matched the front to an empty rear, I think it may be a little higher than OME intended. Get a pic of your control arms from the front so we can see what the angle is at, it may not be as extreme as I'm picturing or even as tall as mine.

Dave, as for my cv's, I have 1 that is a stock replacement, brand new at time of purchase, not a reman, that is made by EMPI(the big air cooled VW hotrod brand), and the other one I'm running is an Autozone lifetime warranty reman. I'm not sure at this point which side has which anymore, so I can't tell you which one is more flexible, but one side is, slightly. I'd suspect the EMPI is more flexible. One day I'll just reboot the other EMPI assembly I have and replace the Autozone one, as I simply have more faith in the EMPI name.
Thanks for the info dude.

Originally Posted by lonewolve
Daved,
My 4Runner rides awesome now, I do not have ball joint spacers installed.I am considering it. Right now the 4Runner (1995 SR5 4x4) is sitting almost level with a lil more on the Tbars.
I too am concerned about the CV joint issues. I had installed new CV 's about three years ago. I don't fancy having to replace them regularly.My understanding after two years of reading posts on this forum as well as a few other Toyota and 4x4 forums was that you didn't need to do anything with the Old Man Emu {OME} suspension lift replacement.
Now some guys are saying i need to do manual hubs? And i will still have CV issues .Really really confused. I would rather have money for a replacement rear bumper from Tactical Auto Group with the swing out tire carrier an a hi lift jack, and also some Herculiner for the wheel wells and and the body, maybe some great driving/fog lights sincs i aquired two OEM Toyota light swiches.
This is my daily driver and my flyfishing/hunting rig as well.
What I think guys mean is that you can put on locking hubs so when you don't require four wheel drive, you can have them unlocked so the shafts are not turning and therefore, not wearing out. And in the case of having somewhat of a larger angle due to the lift on the front end, the shafts (and boots) will last longer because they are only turning when you need them too. Your 95 probably has the ADD system in which there are plates on the end of the hub that locks in the shafts so they are always turning. That is what my 94 had and I pulled off the plates to put on a set of Aisin hubs. With my little 22re, the Runner goes up hills faster without the shafts spinning, unless it's winter...like now. Sooo...the hubs are not a necessity but a nice option to have to prevent accelerated wear and tear on the CV shafts. And maybe some more MPG....

I'm gonna have to check out that bumper you mentioned. As for a good set of driving lights...sure you can spend bukoo bucks but for the money, a set of Hella 500's will do the job. Check out this link. One of many where you can buy from....

And pics would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by snap-on
the HD OME springs i put on my 4runner settled a fuz but always maintained somewhat of a rake. I just loaded it back up with 100lbs of gear and never worried about it.

It was noticeably rougher till you got about 200+lbs in the rear.
Thanks Snap-on.

So I would assume that by everyone using OME coils, you guys all recommend them??? That's what I thought. Keep posting guys.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:34 PM

if i can figure out how to post the darn pics

Last edited by lonewolve; 12-25-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:52 PM

i am trying to post pics via photobucket....and it is not working

Last edited by lonewolve; 12-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:04 PM

http://

This was before I did the Old Man Emu suspension replacement lift with the heavy options. The Old Man Emu Suspension Heavy Package included the heavy duty coil springs {rear},rear shocks,front shocks, New heavier Torsion bars,and the steering stabilizer.

Last edited by lonewolve; 12-25-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:10 PM

another pic

This is the front before
Old 12-25-2012, 02:13 PM

this is the rear before the lift

Old 12-25-2012, 02:32 PM

After the the whole lift was installed

This is after the whole lift was completed December 13th, 2012. OLD MAN EMU Rear coil springs heavy duty ,with a pair of Airlift 1000 airbags installed inside the springs , OME rear shocks , OME front shocks, OME steering stabilizer,OME torsion bars.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:51 PM

more pics

Old 12-25-2012, 02:56 PM

torsion bars

Old 12-25-2012, 03:02 PM

Rear pics of OME Springs Shocks and Airlift 1000 bags

this is the Driver's side rear view

this is the passenger's side rear view
Old 12-25-2012, 03:07 PM

Control arms view of front shocks an the control arm angle

this is a view of the control arms
Old 12-25-2012, 03:08 PM

Let me know what you think, airbags are at 5 lbs minimum pressure until i am pulling a load or carrying more weight.

Last edited by lonewolve; 12-25-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:14 PM

I think it looks real good. You take any before and after measurements at all? It looks like the front is a little higher and the rear is, well....obvious. The rear wheel well line is lower than the front giving the appearance that the rear is lower at times when it is not. I think the truck there looks fairly level. But your panhard rod needs to be dropped back down to level it. Go here to see good info and buy a drop bracket for it. If you want to eliminate your LSPV in the rear with it's rod attached to the axle, it's not that difficult. I did it to my 88 and I will do it to my 94 when I do the rear coils and rebuild the rear brakes. You put a manual proportioning valve under the hood by the master cylinder and plug the return line from the rear brakes. Not that hard.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:47 PM

I just installed the 1.5 inch BJ spacers...in the kit I got the sway bar and diff drop kits, which brought them down 1 inch to make it ride like stock. I have a zuk mod in the rear (rear TJ coil springs), which gave it 2.25 inches of lift...with that and the 1.5 inch BJ spacers up front, it sits perfectly level (keeping in mind the rear sagged a little prior). I also got OME N98 shocks up front with the N94's in the rear. Truck rides amazing.