Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Oil dripping from passenger side of engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil dripping from passenger side of engine

Well, Im original owner and I love this truck. I dont know how to fix this problem and Im stumped. I've done timing belts, starters, brakes, shocks, spark plug work successfully. I've got lots of tools. I need help.

The passenger underside of my 94 4Runner V6 3VZE enginer is soaked with oil. It is dripping badly. It is black fluid. I can't tell where it is coming from. The entire area is coated and I have cleaned it before to try to find the leak. It has 120K miles. I had the head gasket done with the recall. Recently I did my timing belt and changed the crank and cam shaft seals. But I dont think this is the cause.

I read it can be from the valve cover gasket, but I can find a good writeup. I looked at the plenum and it is intimidating to remove it. Anyone have a step by step write up in removing the plenum and fixing the valve cover gasket? I see some blackness under the passenger side valve cover towards the firewall.

I also see red powersteering fluid dripping from the power steering housing. I can get the bolt off, but cant seem to remove the pulley. I tried a pulley puller, but that just bent the pulley.

many thanks...I want to learn cuz I want to keep this truck.
Many Karma to you.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve cover gasket is a pain, but not that bad. I did it twice recently 'coz I thought I screwed up the first try, ugh. Really it was the cam seal I'd screwed up, so I pulled the timing belt twice too.

When undoing the plenum, the key is to label the hoses and take pics as you go along. That way you'll get it all back the same way.

Also, I had trouble with breaking the gasket between the plenum and intake manifold, so pull the thing off slowly and make sure it's not sticking anywhere such that it rips. Or maybe just plan to replace it.

After that, taking off the valve cover is easy enough. Do both sides, and don't forget to apply FIPG to the heads in 4 places where the gasket makes a corner. The FSM outlines it all.

Have a mechanic's magnet handy in case you drop anything down under the plenum when getting it back together.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDate:
Thank you Betelnut. I did this job last weekend. It worked out well. The magnet was a big plus. Also the radiator pick tool was handy when getting hoses to come lose.

Found the leak on the passenger rear (near firewall) valve cover and the driver rear bearing cap.

Now I have to resolve the power steering leak...thanks you again.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, congrats! Hope you have better luck than I did and don't have to take it apart again.