Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Odometer reset?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odometer reset?

Anyone have any experience messing around with the odometer in one of these? I just got a new engine, and a new-to-me sr5 cluster with a working oil pressure gauge. Since the mileage on the gauge is already meaningless to me (150k miles haha i wish) I would like to set it to zero so I can track miles on the new motor.

I'm guessing this is difficult or impossible in the interests of preventing odometer fraud, but I figured I would ask.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
A few words before I answer your question. If the odometer reading is not accurate, you are legally obligated to tell the buyer when you sell it. Whether you do or not is your own call but you should. Also I don't know how comprehensive your inspections are, if you have them. Some might see a sudden change in mileage as a red flag. Just things to consider.

It is possible to change the odometer. You have to remove the cluster, remove the clear faceplate, and remove the speedometer assembly from the white cluster case. From there you can simply spin the digits by hand using a small tool. I used a straight pick. Be careful not to scratch the numbers. I would suggest you update your SR5 cluster to match your actual mileage. This way you get an accurate reading, all the new fancy SR5 features, and none of the stuff that comes along with changing the odometer reading. This is what I did when I installed an SR5 cluster in my Deluxe Pickup years ago.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you really want to do this Buy a brand new Virgin Speedometer if it is possible from Toyota.

I never looked so I have no idea.

Different states are different but you get the paper work documenting what was done and why .

Just start your new engine mileage at your current reading

Here in Pa unless you have a reconstructed title and the paper work showing the change

Inspections will draw attention to the vehicle if you have less mileage then the year before same with registration it can be anything from questions to a full blown felony stop which trust me is never fun
Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 PM

I should have stated that my truck had a SR5 cluster swapped in already by the PO, and the mileage is already not accurate. (He fried the oil pressure gauge, hence I am swapping in a good one.) In CO when you title a car you say if the odometer is correct or not, my title says "not correct", and after that mileage is left off of registrations and never checked up on. So, in my case there is no legal implication whatsoever.

I would be very surprised if Toyota still made this cluster, but I already have one to swap in so I won't be going that route.

As for manually turning the numbers, are you certain that no damage could be done to the internal gears by doing this?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Well, I don't want to say that no damage will be done, but I will say that when I did it, it turned out fine. And you will still have a backup. The speedometer section is removable from the instrument cluster so you can always move the best parts from each cluster to make one good one.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:02 PM

Ah good call. I will definitely give it a shot.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm patiently waiting for the original odometer to match my SR5 gauge before I swap them. I did bookmark this video on how to correct them but I'm lazy.