Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ode to Milky Oil

Old 04-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ode to Milky Oil

Hey,

I'll start with some history. About 8 months ago I decided to buy a 91 4runner 22re with 310,000 km on it. I new I was getting into a project and wanted to learn about the workings. I stated with breaks, fluids, had the clutch done, and thats about it. After 5000+ km with no issues, she runs great. No smoke, great economy no issues. One day a pulsing idle, the coolant was low so I topped it up and it stopped.. for a while. I did some reading and trouble shot some issues. Checked Vac lines, cleaned throttle body, oil change, coolant flush. While all this happening the pulsing idle remaining an off and on issue, then some over heating and white exhaust. Coolant dripping from the tail pipe, coolant smelling like gas but oil was fine. Just checked the oil and its milkshaked! Ive probed into the spark plug holes and the 1st has coolant in it.

I think I can do this job and have most of the tools required. What I do lack in a place to do it but am working on it. Is it a job I should try doing curb side? The garage im looking at is an hour away.

Any words of wisdom?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM

get a repair manual. that will help with the basics. also take lots of pics as you take it apart so you can have something to refer to as you put it back together. get the head reworked while you have it off and get it milled if it is warped. just pay attention and take your time if you have some available. so you can make sure youre putting it back together correctly
Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by BCYotaBum
Hey,

I'll start with some history. About 8 months ago I decided to buy a 91 4runner 22re with 310,000 km on it. I new I was getting into a project and wanted to learn about the workings. I stated with breaks, fluids, had the clutch done, and thats about it. After 5000+ km with no issues, she runs great. No smoke, great economy no issues. One day a pulsing idle, the coolant was low so I topped it up and it stopped.. for a while. I did some reading and trouble shot some issues. Checked Vac lines, cleaned throttle body, oil change, coolant flush. While all this happening the pulsing idle remaining an off and on issue, then some over heating and white exhaust. Coolant dripping from the tail pipe, coolant smelling like gas but oil was fine. Just checked the oil and its milkshaked! Ive probed into the spark plug holes and the 1st has coolant in it.

I think I can do this job and have most of the tools required. What I do lack in a place to do it but am working on it. Is it a job I should try doing curb side? The garage im looking at is an hour away.

Any words of wisdom?
I just went thru this, and decided to get a total engine rebuild. I would think you'll need a garage, curbside might be tough, good luck.!