86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Obd port???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obd port???

Hi everyone new to the thread. I was wondering if anyone knows where the obd port is on my 1987 toyota pickup. I would like to add that it is a automatic with a 22r engine with a carburetor. Ive been searching for information about this but something tells me that the carburetor vehicles dont use a obd ports. My "mechanic" said he needs to diagnose the truck and put it in the computer but i have doubts about it. i think its all bs to get more money from my dad since he said the same thing 2 years ago. His truck did not pass smog. Tech says its burning too much gas. Truck has new plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, 02 sensor new oil and filter and air filter. The basics. I have a feeling its the carburetor. Any help is highly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think the guy knows what he's talking about in reference to plugging in the computer. Check this out for diagnostic trouble codes. 4Crawler has some great write-ups. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TroubleCodes/
Old 03-02-2019, 11:20 AM

This doesnt help me because like i said i have a carburetor not EFI. thanks for the info though
Old 03-02-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Welcome!

Is this a regular Federal Emissions Truck or a California Emissions Truck?

I know for a fact that 1987 Federal Emissions 22R carbureted Trucks do not have an OBD or Diagnostic port. The Federal Emissions 22R Trucks have a small Emissions Computer.

The fact that you mention an oxygen sensor tells me you have a California Emissions Truck, which have a more sophisticated computer for the fuel feedback system. According to my 1987 Toyota Factory Repair Manual, there is a Diagnostic Port but it appears that it only a check connector (the manual calls it the Check Connector) to see if the Emissions computer is getting oxygen sensor input and the like (check using a multimeter or oscilloscope). You would not be able to use a scan tool for this system.

These systems can get tricky to diagnose and not many mechanics are familiar enough with these to know what to do.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The California (c.a.r.b.) models have a slightly larger emissions computer twenty something pins, they also have an oxygen sensor and two way catalytic.

The Fed/Canada models have a slightly smaller emissions computer about a dozen pins.

Neither have OBD2, it wasn't a standard in this era.

You, your father, and your mechanic should invest the time to locate a Factory service manual (FSM). There is a whole section dedicated to the test procedure for the fuel feed back system in the emissions control section.

With the vauge description of "it will not pass emissions" there isn't much for us to tell you from an educated stance.. Is the cat worn out, is the oxygen sensor functioning, do the temp switch's work, what about the two valves that add air to the exhaust and intake..

Old 07-29-2022, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by jluminado
Hi everyone new to the thread. I was wondering if anyone knows where the obd port is on my 1987 toyota pickup. I would like to add that it is a automatic with a 22r engine with a carburetor. Ive been searching for information about this but something tells me that the carburetor vehicles dont use a obd ports. My "mechanic" said he needs to diagnose the truck and put it in the computer but i have doubts about it. i think its all bs to get more money from my dad since he said the same thing 2 years ago. His truck did not pass smog. Tech says its burning too much gas. Truck has new plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, 02 sensor new oil and filter and air filter. The basics. I have a feeling its the carburetor. Any help is highly appreciated.
HOW TO RETRIEVE TOYOTA OBD1 CODES WITH DEFINITIONS

OBD1 system trouble code gathering is a proprietary process to each manufacturer, below is the method on how to retrieve trouble codes for Toyota models before 1995, we also feature the code definition table as well.

Locate the diagnostic connector under the hood near passengers fender, or under the dash on the driver’s side, it will have a small plastic cover over the connector which is about 1 inch by 3 inches.

Use a small jumper wire to connect the TE1 and T1 terminals, for Tercel and MR2 use the T and E1 terminals.

[img]blob:https://www.yotatech.com/7d1312ff-9da7-47ac-bc19-0271f0b38c4a[/img]

Turn the ignition key to the on position without turning starting the engine, observe the check engine light and count the number of times it blinks which will be the first digit of the two digit trouble code. The check engine light will pause shortly followed by the second digit of the trouble code. For example; if the check engine light blinks once and pauses followed by six blinks the trouble code number would be 16.

If no code is present the check engine light will stay on constantly, to restart code gathering, turn the ignition key to the off position, wait three minutes and turn the ignition key back on again.

Remove the jumper wire once code gathering is complete. To clear code after the repairs have been made remove the negative battery cable for one minute and reconnect.

TOYOTA OBD1 CODE DEFINITION TABLE

Code 11 Momentary interruption in power supply to ECU (electronic control unit or computer) up to 1991

Code 12 Engine revolution signal missing

Code 13 Rpm signal to ecu missing above 1000 rpm

Code 14 Igniter signal to ecu missing

Code 16 A/T control signal missing from ecu

Code 21 Main oxygen sensor signal fault

Code 22 Water temperature sensor circuit fault

Code 23 and 24 Intake air temperature signal fault

Code 25 Air/fuel ratio LEAN

Code 26 Air/fuel ratio RICH

Code 27 Sub-oxygen sensor signal or heater circuit fault

Code 28 No. 2 oxygen sensor/heater signal fault

Code 31 and 32 Air flow meter circuit or Vacuum sensor signal fault

Code 34 and 36 Turbo-charging pressure signal fault

Code 35 Altitude compensation sensor signal fault

Code 41 Throttle position circuit fault

Code 42 Vehicle speed sensor circuit

Code 43 No starter signal to the ecu

Code 51 AC signal on; DL contact off (in transmission shifter with diagnostic connector jumped)

Code 52, 53 and 55 Knock sensor fault

Code 71 EGR system malfunction

Code 72 Fuel cut solenoid signal fault

Code 78 Fuel pump control signal fault

Code 81, 83, 84 and 85 TCM communication fault

Old 08-02-2022, 11:11 AM
YT Community Team

Received 845 Likes on 600 Posts
That pre-OBD system was an additional tool in trying to diagnose some issues, but it had many drawbacks. Don’t give it the same level of credibility or reliability as future on-board diagnostic systems. Today’s systems have the accuracy of a drone attack, while the 1987 system was much like WWII carpet bombing.
The following users liked this post:
Robert m (08-02-2022)