86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

not a front axle? Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not a front axle? Any ideas?

Ok so in search of fixing my thud i went out and thought i would try a few things to figure it out.I wanted to see if it could be a problem with the lift.

Heres what i did.
I found a few dirt piles by my house in a construction site.I pulled up with one of the front tires on the pile so the other one would eventually fall as far as it could in 4wd and spin. I did it on both sides and both spun i jacked up the center of the truck and spun both wheels with the hubs locked and no thud noise and everything looks to be functioning as it should.I tried backing up a few things to see if it would slip or thud if one side was loaded and the other wasnt. No thud. Hubs locked and driving slowly you can hear it...Heres my questions..

Trailmaster lift-would cranking up the t-bars a bit with this lift put the front axels at a funny angle and make this binding noise?

My trailmaster lift didnt come with anything to drop the diff.I had the procomp parts sitting here and everything looked to work out fine and line up with the trailmaster parts.Could droping the diff with the procomp stuff set the front axels at more of an angle or even the driveshaft?

Im going to turn the t-bars back down cause the front rides like poo and there is no movement in it unless its fully loaded. Anything else to check out or angles to check while im under there? This is driving me nuts and i really want to go wheeling this weekend.

Any help would be great
Russell

Pics from the wall i tried it on too.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:00 PM

nothin?
Old 10-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i think the lift tweaked the cv angles and the driveshaft angles

Last edited by Elton; 10-20-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:17 PM

Got BJ spacers? If not, that'll probably solve it, cause it sounds like a tweaked cv angle to me...
Old 10-24-2006, 02:01 AM

FOUND IT!!!! ok so the lock nuts that came with the trailmaster kit were too big and were nicking the axel flange as it turned. I was flushing the Tcase,diffs,tranny and checking everything out and even cranked the tbars back down and found it as i was about to throw the skidplate on. If the skid plate was on It MIGHT work but im going to get new lock nuts today and mounting it all up. I am soo relieved that it wasnt major.Im also glad this pushed me to drain everyfluid in the truck in search of a chipped tooth,metal,or a broken bracket i could see while doing it.The fluid was nasty from sitting.I almost relocated the diff breathers but didnt know if i could just pull that cap off and run a hose up or if i have to get special fittings.

Any help on the breathers?

BJ spacers would have made it all worse.It has a 4inch suspension lift and the tbars were cranked up high...angles were funky already.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:49 AM

Are you sure it doenst have a diff drop? All 4" lifts have them, its an intergral part of the suspension...

Glad you fixed the problem thou.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by vwfastg60
Any help on the breathers?
Search "diff breathers". Try www.watrd.com for some good 411 on the "diff breather" mod.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Are you sure it doenst have a diff drop? All 4" lifts have them, its an intergral part of the suspension...

Glad you fixed the problem thou.

It does but i got the trailmaster lift and a while back i got a procomp for my old 4runner. The 4runner was missing pieces and so was the trailmaster. I found i could put both together and end up with a full kit.All the diff drop is procomp and all the cradle parts are traimaster same with the steering parts
Old 10-25-2006, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by vwfastg60
It does but i got the trailmaster lift and a while back i got a procomp for my old 4runner. The 4runner was missing pieces and so was the trailmaster. I found i could put both together and end up with a full kit.All the diff drop is procomp and all the cradle parts are traimaster same with the steering parts
Then you should be fine, assuming the tbars are in the stock locatoin, or within an inch or so.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:51 AM

The Tbars were cranked pretty hard(friends idea) but now there back to stock.Its that stupid bolt...Im pulling it in tonight and rippin em out and throwin new ones on and maybe get a new stabalizer for it before i put the skidplate on