Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

no crank, cranks without key

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no crank, cranks without key

i know i know, check your contacts... worked fine before the new timing chain, heres the story

fixed my "broken" oil pump by inserting the gear that mounts on the crank, silly me... i wanted to prime it a bit before i fully started it so i pulled the efi relay, poured in some oil and went to crank it. it wouldnt turn over at all, i hit the clutch again and nothing. i hit the brake and nothing, hit both pedals and the csc and it cranked. heres the weird part, after about 5 seconds i turned off the key and it kept cranking, i removed the key from the ignition and it KEPT CRANKING!!! after i realized i just crapped my pants and my engine was still cranking with the key removed and n the passenger seat i hastily popped the hood and removed the negative battery terminal and it stopped. i know about intermittent no starts because of the contacts, but what about constant starts? could it be a short in the ignition possibly? maybe the starter itself? after i did the timing chain the starting issue arose, along with the am1 fuse being blown. im at a stand still and i just paid a whopping $280 for plates and im still not able to drive this mofo. any suggestions?

oh, the starter looks brand new too...
Old 08-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If your sure that you got everything hooked up properly ?. You could have a bad ignition switch (the electrical part) they can go bad. When i got my 4Runner the ignition switch was bad and they had rigged a push button start switch, i replaced the ignition switch and that solved the problem.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:05 PM

i was wondering if the ignition went bad, but im not sure. i cleaned all the grounds that i removed and looped checked them to the negative battery terminal and they all tested good... might just get a new one since they are fairly cheap. thanks man!
Old 08-25-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another thing to check, when you were putting things back together make sure you didn`t pinch any wires, its just a thought, but you never know ?.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you might unhook the wire from the switch at the starter and hook the battery back up and see if it tries to crank . if it does it might have the plunger in the starter welded to the contacts. if it doesn't crank use a test light or a volt meter to see if there is a constant 12v at the plug that normally plugs into the starter. this would indicate the problem is between the switch and the starter. you can then start unplugging wires and fuses to hopefully narrow the problem down.

Last edited by swampfox; 08-25-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:20 PM

myyota im workin on it this weekend so i will check that.

swampfox i will do that first and foremost. actually, i think ill check at the starter first and see if i get voltage relevant to the key cycle. thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 PM

im with swampfox, it sounds like the solenoid contacts are stuck
Old 08-26-2010, 07:47 PM

hmmm... im wondering if i can take it apart and just replace the contacts if thats the case. is it possible they can be stuck, just wedged possibly, and not welded? or am i thinking half full, not half empty?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It is possible to take the starter apart to get to the solenoid and contacts, but finding replacement rebuild parts has gotten hard since they started rebuilding them in factories. Besides, I can make a starter look brand new with a can of brake kleen and some hot, soapy water.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if the contacts are stuck you can probley break them apart . they normally don't weld permanently ,just a small spot than can usually be cleaned up with some emery cloth.the contacts may need replaced if wore.

Last edited by swampfox; 08-27-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM

thanks swampfox. i was gonna conquer tomorrow, but i got tickets to see chevelle and alice cooper, so plans have changed. i will do this on sunday and post my results. i got some good ideas and great advice so hopefully all goes well. might upgrade the "big three" wires with some 2/0 ive had laying around.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:22 AM

100% an ignition barrel issue. The solenoid is only activated by the key, once the key is released from ST1 voltage should be 0 at the solenoid. If it is not your starter will continue to crank. It is possible (remotely) that the solenoid contacts have jammed closed although this would cause your starter to be constantly on. Is in, as soon as your connect the battery the starter would go go. Unplug your ignition barrel under the dash, get a multimeter and check all terminals for correct function/continuity.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:35 PM

ok, i think i fixed it??? i had to bump the starter to get the crank pulley off and it wouldnt start again, but it never did the constant cranking thing either. after i got the oil pump gear back on i fired it up to test it out and it worked fine. i drove a couple of miles to get some gas, forgot how weak that thing was! after i finished pumping it fired right up. i wetsanded the headlights on my mustang and tried the starter again, it worked great. its been about 4 hours and it hasnt failed yet, im kind of at a loss with it. but it works so im gonna leave it alone. now i want to do a rebuild on the engine with a cam and head for some powah!!