Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

No brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No brakes

So I've scoured the internet and several repair manuals but I cannot seem to find what I am looking for so I must post a new thread, my apologizes. I just purchased a 1987 Toyota Pickup 4WD with the 22RE MFI. After putting a ton of work in to it I am down to the last thing that I just can't get right. I have no brake power. First, I discovered the master cylinder was leaking fluid on to the diaphragm which subsequently killed the booster along with it. New (not rebuilt) booster and new master cylinder were placed on the vehicle along with new wheel cylinders on the back. The two brake lines leading to the LSPV were replaced too. Brakes were bled (after researching I discovered they were bled incorrectly; I'm good with engines, haven't done any brake job more than just replacing pads.) Pedal goes straight to the floor, no braking power to the wheels.

I get solid fluid to each caliper and cylinder. I'm not losing fluid anywhere, by the way. Still no improvement.

Master cylinder was not bench bled, which I now know I should have done and will do this weekend. The LSPV was not bled, which will be done this weekend as well. I was unaware the LSPV had a bleeder valve on it until I began researching.

The front hubs were converted to manual locking and new bearings were installed. New rotors and pads were also installed on the front. Rear wheel cylinders were replaced along with the drum hardware. New rear parking brake cable was installed, too.

After all things replaced with new equipment and a bleed, I still have no stopping power what so ever. I then adjusted the rear drums to be too tight and now my parking brake works and I get some braking to the rear but the pedal still has no pressure and the brakes only engage slightly once the pedal is at the floor.

When the engine is NOT running, I can pump the pedal about five times and pressure builds. Once I release the pedal, I must pump several times again to get the pressure back. With the engine running, pumping the pedal does not harden it at all.

I just acquired a pneumatic brake bleeding kit to attach to my air compressor and have plans to bleed the system properly beginning with bleeding the master cylinder, LSPV, rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, and finally the front driver. Prior to this I will be adjusting the rear drums to the appropriate adjustment.

I hope this helps. I guess the purpose of my post is to see if anyone else has had similar issues and can direct me to the culprit. Maybe I'm overlooking something or am I on the right track and bleeding appropriately and adjusting the drums to the proper setting will resolve my issue?

Last edited by drossiter; 03-01-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I got my 4runner I replaced both front calipers, the master cylinder, and about half the brake lines. It took several tries to get it fully bled. Especially the front calipers. I bled them several times, thought I had em bled well, but with the wife holding the pedal down I could still spin the rotors by hand. Took several tries with a vacuum bleeder before I really got all the air out. Good luck
Old 03-02-2016, 02:58 AM

I think the vacuum bleeder will help alot.

Bench bleeding the mc is important but the vacuum bleeder will probably correct that as well.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Even if you did not bench bleed the master cylinder, you just have to put a lot of fluid to get the air out of the system. Toyotas seem to be to be the worse for bleeding brakes. Been a couple of times I waited a few days and then went back and bled them again before I got them working right.

Did you get an Aisin Master Cylinder? I have gotten faulty part store master cylinders and when on the bench I could bench bleed them and not hold the pressure back with my fingers but once on the truck, the pressure in the system was to much for the master cylinder and it would fail.

Another thing I do is to pull the lines off of the master cylinder and at the wheels and blow the lines out with my air gun. You should see all the rust that comes out of these lines in some cases.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:20 PM

Ok, sorry for the delay, been busy at work. I resolved the issue with a good bleed. The longest bleed I've ever had to do but it works now. Thanks for the replies and advice everyone.