Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

No Brake Pressure at first.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Brake Pressure at first.

So I just did my rear axle seals and got the bearing replaced, unfortunately when I got my axle back from the shop they took off the drum brake pads and everything.

So after I finally put everything back together, I instructed my friend on how to help me bleed the brakes. I just did the rear driver side since that's the only side I did. Afterwards I got in and slowly applied pressure to the brakes since I put the old brake pads back in. I even pulled the e-brake a couple times and asked my friend if he saw the adjuster move. He did.

Here's the problem, I turn on my truck and apply the brakes and the pedal goes straight to the floor. After I hit the brake pedal again, then I get pressure. If I quit for a while, and hit the brakes, the pedal goes to the floor again.

I bled the other side of the rear, and still no luck.

Keep in mind, I kept the brake line capped all night since I didn't get my axle back the next day.

Should I bleed the front brakes too? Could a damaged wheel cylinder when putting the drum brake back together cause this? So far there is no leaks and the brake light doesn't come on to indicate that there is.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cr@ves4wheelin
Should I bleed the front brakes too?
I'm by no means a master mechanic, but I've always read that any time your brake system is open for any reason, and for any length of time, you must bleed all 4 wheels. I think until you're sure that all air is out of the system, you really don't know if it's just air in the lines or something more serious.

Also - be sure to keep the master cylinder from going empty while you're bleeding the lines - if it does, it will just push more air into the lines.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Yeah, I'm just gonna bleed the front tomorrow and see if that fixes it. I can't remember if I bled all four when I did my differential swap, it's been a while and I have a bad memory.

Anyways, since I couldn't bleed the front since it's dark, I thought I'd ask just in case it doesn't work still. I didn't get my axle back til 3pm and I had to put the drum brake back together since the shop guys tore it apart.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 AM

Fixed it. What happened was, when I put the drum brakes back together. I didn't adjust the star adjuster back to the way it was. Me not knowing much about drum brakes, I thought the e-brake automatically adjusted the start adjuster hahaha.

Anyways I bled the front brakes too, just to make sure. There was little-to-no air though.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:50 AM

If the problem comes back, try bleeding the Load Sensing Proportioning Valve, which is located above the rear axle on the passenger side. My brakes were going to the floor after I did my rear brakes, until I bled the LSPV. I had no idea the thing even existed, and thought bleeding all 4 wheels was enough. In my case, it wasn't.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Alway bleed the Load Sensing Proportioning Valve after bleeding all wheels.