86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nitrous anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitrous anyone?

So in order to do the ls1 swap I need to get rid of the motor. I would like to beat on it a little and see how it will actually perform under some modifications before I tear it down. its the 3.slo in a 1990 pickup with a 5 speed manual

With that said I have a universal nitrous kit sitting in my garage and have solenoids ranging from 25 shot- 800 dual stage shots... I use a lot when I run my bbf so with that said.

I know the common issue on these trucks is the head gasket. If I replaced that, did a nice tune, stuck with a wet shot to stay safe. How much can this motor handle? I have done research and it seems no one has even tried. Are people scared? Its just a cheap motor and readily available if so. IMO at the least, I am hoping to yes eventually blow the motor pushing it to a limit but again, I want to see what this baby has to give others advice on an easy upgrade that can potentially make a nice streetable daily and a great track truck/ or mud slinger depending on preference.

I was going to start with a 50shot. It is a 5 speed manual. with a 7.5" rear, I assume I will break the rear before I break anything else honestly and than the 8.8 3.73 LSD is going in
Old 10-03-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
20 bucks says a 50 shot blows a hole through the side.lol I bet the motor blows before the rear does.

If you got the money to blow, DUIT!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by jb451
20 bucks says a 50 shot blows a hole through the side.lol I bet the motor blows before the rear does.

If you got the money to blow, DUIT!
Seriously? I figure it would handle more than that. Only issue I would see is the fuel compensation without bigger injectors or fuel pump and it would run to lean. Mmmmm, its not about the money to blow.. its about the motor sitting in my garage dying to go in... its not an ls1 persay but an lsx. 4.8l stock with gapped rings, ls6 intake, bumped up fuel rails/injectors, and once it is put in I will run e85 and mount a mid mount turbo... should only take me 2 weeks or so to get it in and running but driving is a different story hahaha. Will be fun!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tankz
Seriously? I figure it would handle more than that. Only issue I would see is the fuel compensation without bigger injectors or fuel pump and it would run to lean. Mmmmm, its not about the money to blow.. its about the motor sitting in my garage dying to go in... its not an ls1 persay but an lsx. 4.8l stock with gapped rings, ls6 intake, bumped up fuel rails/injectors, and once it is put in I will run e85 and mount a mid mount turbo... should only take me 2 weeks or so to get it in and running but driving is a different story hahaha. Will be fun!
As underpowered and as many problems as some of the 3.0's have, i wouldn't be surprised if thats all it takes.lol

I thought about doing an LS swap with the 5.3 i've got, but its just too much cutting up and fab work for my taste. Hell, the 3.0 barely fits in there as it is. 5.3 will go in the camaro, 4runner will get a 3.4 swap at some point. Run an ls6 or 9 cam with that turbo and you'll have a nice little sleeper!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 PM

To much fab work? Hope your joking... all f body swap parts including frame mounts and motor mounts. It fits just have to cut and weld the mounts. Will be mounted to a 2004 GTO t56 with a stage 5 build. The 8.8 is rebuilt as well with a 33 spline 3.73 LSD diff. fresh axles, etc. my issue will be stopping. Think I might do a mustang disk swap up front if I can. unless someone can point me to a descent upgrade to around 10"+ to stop this beast when its done... I am expecting low 10 sec car on low boost. Also shooting it with a 75shot to spool it up faster. And to be more technical I also did valve springs, push rods, and head gaskets.... basically the weak points in the motor I fixed.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
7mge AFM swap, egr delete. Give her hell and then do the nitrous.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:14 PM

Please...I know it's your truck and your money and you can do whatever you like with them, but don't do it. "I've done research and it seems no one has even tried". Usually people don't intentionally try to blow their engines up for fun...or at least most normal people. Any sane person would not attempt to attach nitrous to the 3VZ-E because it's stupid. They barely run naturally aspirated without blowing head gaskets (ok, a bit of an exaggeration). It would be a waste of nitrous, a waste of a good running engine, and a waste of money. Also, if you're going to swap in an LS1, why waste time and money swapping in head gaskets and doing a tune on the 3.0? Just step back and think for a second what you're doing...

Any rational person would sell the motor and all unneeded parts and put the money towards the swap.

And if you do use the nitrous, you might as well go straight to the 800 shot. I would think any shot of nitrous would blow it up the first time. If it doesn't blow up, I'll be surprised. So you might as well go big right off the bat.

EDIT: I think you're definitely on the wrong forum. I think for what your intentions are with the truck, you should head on over to Yellow Bullet. We're not really into drag racing here. I, personally, am into drag racing, just not on here.

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 10-03-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Sensibility can be taken at anyone's discretion, the point was to push the motor further than stock. Obviously I was mis informed on any potential this motor had. I know the bottom end is BULLET proof from readings... people say this bottom end with 3.4 heads would have been perfect. IDK much about either honestly so I don't even know if that is possible. I bought the truck to drive daily. Recently purchased a nicer daily with working a.c and this is now the project. Replacing a head gasket isn't difficult and will cost pennies on the dollar IMO. It is all in perspective of what I or anyone else gains from this. Yes it would make sense to scrap the motor and sell spare parts. Motor is garbage.. goes for $100 around here, not worth my time to try to sell personally. So what would I sell? my mounts and tranny? Maybe but that's it.

So, in regards to tuning and wasting money, it would be free...

I appreciate the criticism honestly. Shows people have a sense of what they are talking about. If is it truly that poor of an engine I prob wont even try than. Was just going to do it and see where it would go.

and the 800 dual shot kit I had was a joke. lets be realistic, I would never put that on this car. My BBF is a fully built motor mounted to a powerglide and all motor on e85 is right below 1500whp and on spray+meth I hit 2980whp. Running 13.5 compression. Built itself is kept a hidden trade secret with the shop for anyone who is curious, sorry. I don't mind telling numbers of the motor because I change pills all the time and go bigger or smaller if need. It is a grudge car haha

Last edited by Tankz; 10-03-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM

I say go for it! Call it a durability test!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Sensibility can be taken at anyone's discretion, the point was to push the motor further than stock. Obviously I was mis informed on any potential this motor had. I know the bottom end is BULLET proof from readings... people say this bottom end with 3.4 heads would have been perfect. IDK much about either honestly so I don't even know if that is possible. I bought the truck to drive daily. Recently purchased a nicer daily with working a.c and this is now the project. Replacing a head gasket isn't difficult and will cost pennies on the dollar IMO. It is all in perspective of what I or anyone else gains from this. Yes it would make sense to scrap the motor and sell spare parts. Motor is garbage.. goes for $100 around here, not worth my time to try to sell personally. So what would I sell? my mounts and tranny? Maybe but that's it. So, in regards to tuning and wasting money, it would be free... I appreciate the criticism honestly. Shows people have a sense of what they are talking about. If is it truly that poor of an engine I prob wont even try than. Was just going to do it and see where it would go. and the 800 dual shot kit I had was a joke. lets be realistic, I would never put that on this car. My BBF is a fully built motor mounted to a powerglide and all motor on e85 is right below 1500whp and on spray+meth I hit 2980whp. Running 13.5 compression. Built itself is kept a hidden trade secret with the shop for anyone who is curious, sorry. I don't mind telling numbers of the motor because I change pills all the time and go bigger or smaller if need. It is a grudge car haha
I honestly think you are completely full of S***. How old are you? Not to be a jerk but seriously. Step back and read everything you've posted.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I dont think the vz's head gasket issue has anything to do with power output. I personally dont think it would blow a hg any faster running twin turbos than it would naturally assped. The 3.0 has a tough block and fairly stought heads. Its just its bad economy and power that makes it an old outdated motor. But its still tough. The head gasket issue is bad heat transfer related. And is more then fixable if your any good with fixing things.

Im not saying adding nos is a good idea. But blowing up an old engine for learning purposes and some fun is not always a bad thing. Especially if one were to document results on their thread And i know for a fact that people have added nos to worse engines then the 3vz.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:53 PM

How old are you?
Toyota "boy" settle down
Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
I honestly think you are completely full of S***. How old are you? Not to be a jerk but seriously. Step back and read everything you've posted.
Full of ˟˟˟˟ eh? ok, here is the issue here... I share an account with my son. Long story short he asks dumb questions no doubt all the time. He doesn't think the old guy of the house knows what he is talking about. I told him I would give the truck to him when I got tired of it so he asked a ton of questions. The swap I am going to do for his birthday in Feb but he wanted to ask and maybe do it hemself. So if you are judging on previous posts well, not worth your time.

Not sure if you have any idea or can fathom the numbers I posted. A fully built BBF is very capable of those numbers. Jon Kaase heads for starters, custom dual plane intake, custom built race carbs, solid ground cam, diamond pistons, stroked to and bored to a 640... I can go on and on but what is the point? If it is because of how I type and how I come across maybe as a immature young person than more power to your assumptions. This is why I hate forums.

But it has readily available information.

To answer your question I am 42. My son is a 20 year old and is as I say, young dumb and full of cum lmao. Wish he would listen to me once in awhile. Been doing this since I was 16.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Lol do it do it do it do it
Video tape it though
It'll go zoom boom
Old 10-03-2013, 07:13 PM

Full of ˟˟˟˟ eh? ok, here is the issue here... I share an account with my son. Long story short he asks dumb questions no doubt all the time. He doesn't think the old guy of the house knows what he is talking about. I told him I would give the truck to him when I got tired of it so he asked a ton of questions. The swap I am going to do for his birthday in Feb but he wanted to ask and maybe do it hemself. So if you are judging on previous posts well, not worth your time.

Not sure if you have any idea or can fathom the numbers I posted. A fully built BBF is very capable of those numbers. Jon Kaase heads for starters, custom dual plane intake, custom built race carbs, solid ground cam, diamond pistons, stroked to and bored to a 640... I can go on and on but what is the point? If it is because of how I type and how I come across maybe as a immature young person than more power to your assumptions. This is why I hate forums.

But it has readily available information.

To answer your question I am 42. My son is a 20 year old and is as I say, young dumb and full of cum lmao. Wish he would listen to me once in awhile. Been doing this since I was 16.
I hate to say this cause I like your idea,,,,,,, but
If he actually frustrated you that bad, then you have no business building 2000hp engines. Especially if you let somebody on the internet piss you off.
Just troubleshoot the issue. If you know what im mean?

This is why I hate forums.
Then why are you on one?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Full of ˟˟˟˟ eh? ok, here is the issue here... I share an account with my son. Long story short he asks dumb questions no doubt all the time. He doesn't think the old guy of the house knows what he is talking about. I told him I would give the truck to him when I got tired of it so he asked a ton of questions. The swap I am going to do for his birthday in Feb but he wanted to ask and maybe do it hemself. So if you are judging on previous posts well, not worth your time. Not sure if you have any idea or can fathom the numbers I posted. A fully built BBF is very capable of those numbers. Jon Kaase heads for starters, custom dual plane intake, custom built race carbs, solid ground cam, diamond pistons, stroked to and bored to a 640... I can go on and on but what is the point? If it is because of how I type and how I come across maybe as a immature young person than more power to your assumptions. This is why I hate forums. But it has readily available information. To answer your question I am 42. My son is a 20 year old and is as I say, young dumb and full of cum lmao. Wish he would listen to me once in awhile. Been doing this since I was 16.
No I'm not coming at you for your numbers. I'm coming at you for the fact that your talking about building a Toyota truck producing that much power. Man be real.. The frame would twist in half. The rear end would explode. Not to mention the spring hangers ripping from the frame. These trucks are under powered for a reason.

The nitrous idea is cool tho. Yeah I'd do it if I had the equipment and money. That's coming from that guy that's replaced his engine twice in a month lol. Hydro locked the 1st new one after about 1200 miles. I'm at 800 on my second new one lol...

20 year old son???? Is this gonna be a toy for him or DD. Id hope just a track truck if it even works out. And if it does work out.. Please tell me he has a good life insurance policy.

And no need to hate forums. We here at YT are really good people. We mean no harm and don't try to run people off. We just get alot of noobs here that try to talk a lot of BS or ask repeated questions over and over again.

There's really no dumb questions... Some people just ask before researching lol.. I'd say we're all guilty if that once or twice.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
Toyota "boy" settle down
Lol sorry boss
Old 10-03-2013, 07:34 PM

I completely understand the experimental side of this, but I still can't get over the fact of how wasteful it is. Even if it is a success, I don't think many people are going to be strapping nitrous on their rigs. It's just not a logical power adder for offroading, except for mud bogging or maybe desert driving. Maybe I still might be missing the point...

Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
Then why are you on one?
My exact thoughts...

My son is a 20 year old and is as I say, young dumb and full of cum lmao.
Stupid 20 year olds...

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 10-03-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
A 3vze on nitrous

Old 10-04-2013, 02:14 AM

To much fab work? Hope your joking... all f body swap parts including frame mounts and motor mounts. It fits just have to cut and weld the mounts. Will be mounted to a 2004 GTO t56 with a stage 5 build. The 8.8 is rebuilt as well with a 33 spline 3.73 LSD diff. fresh axles, etc. my issue will be stopping. Think I might do a mustang disk swap up front if I can. unless someone can point me to a descent upgrade to around 10"+ to stop this beast when its done... I am expecting low 10 sec car on low boost. Also shooting it with a 75shot to spool it up faster. And to be more technical I also did valve springs, push rods, and head gaskets.... basically the weak points in the motor I fixed.
Yeah, i was looking at another members' build, and its just way more than i would want to get into personally. between frame mounts, radiator moving, and cutting the front header panel, that swap just aint for me. Not to mention you wanting to throw a turbo in there.... I just dont see the room.

Low 10's out of a pickup? Anything's possible i'd guess, but with the aerodynamics of a barn and no weight in the back, its gonna be rough to keep it stable enough to make it down the track. (provided the frame doesn't flex and snap off the line, have you looked at our frames?) At least s10's are "curvy". FWIW, stainless tubing on the hot side will also help spool time.

Quick Reply: Nitrous anyone?