86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie needs info on where to money for reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs info on where to money for reliability

Hello. Thank you for looking at this post. I'm new here and I watched the video so I'd like to say that I went through dozens and dozens of postings before I came to the conclusion that I should post my own thread. So heres whats up.

I have an '86 4Runner. It has the 22re. Its basicly stock but it has a 3 inch body lift. I have about $1800 to put into it. This truck is my only vehicle. It is my daily driver. I love wheeling but I'm really more concerned with making this truck as reliable as possible. I'd also like to increase the power a little.

My buddie John says I should start with a header and exaust. Several posts in this site back that up. What I want to know, the reason for my post, is what engine parts, if any, should I replace or upgrade. I would like to make my money go as far as possible as i want to do some work to the interior as well. Any input will very greatly appriciated. Thank you!

Josh-
Old 02-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to yotatech... i would rebuild the motor useing www.engnbldr.com oarts then add a Lce header and a custom exhaust
Old 02-17-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
x3 header and exhaust, intake can't hurt. Ignition upgrades, any and all parts could be upgraded. Steering setup is weak these years. I recommend an idler arm brace/gusset, at minimum. If you wheel hard, I say go with some high-quality, synth/semi-synth, gear oil in everything. If you wheel real hard, get the a-arm truss.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-18-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:11 PM

Wow! Thanks you guys! I can't believe I got help so fast! I am definately going to take your advice! Anyone else reading this, please keep it coming! Thanks again, I really appriciate it!

I don't wheel that hard, I don't think, but I don't want to break anything as I wont have money to repair it so I will be going with stronger grade parts.

THANKS Again!!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

i would ditch the body lift and go a suspension lift
Old 02-17-2007, 11:17 PM

if you dont plan on rebuilding the motor...then i would invest in a complete tune up, also do a compression and leakdown test..i would even go as far as having the timing checked along with the belt and water pump to see the age on them
Old 02-17-2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
haha, I want to soo bad, it was on it when I bought it. From the dealership, bolts and whatnot to go back to stock is like $600.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

just order a 1'' body lift from www.4crawler.com way less than 600 bucks

Last edited by Elton; 02-17-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 91TPU
if you dont plan on rebuilding the motor...then i would invest in a complete tune up, also do a compression and leakdown test..i would even go as far as having the timing checked along with the belt and water pump to see the age on them
Thank you, I really want to rebuilt it, just since I don't know what kind of shape everything in there is in, it was allegedly rebuilt about 23,000 miles ago..but who knows what was done. I went to that website, engnbldr.com, and its rad but I've never rebuilt an engine before...and I only have the one truck to drive. Is there a place I can go localy (Sacramento) to have it rebuilt?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Contributing Member

you could pick up a used block in good shape have the bottom in rebuilt then do the rest your self and then drop it in when its all done and sell the old one
Old 02-17-2007, 11:48 PM

Wow. At www.4crawler.com ithat 1 inch lift is only $83.00! thats a great idea! Thank You!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 PM

you could pick up a used block in good shape have the bottom in rebuilt then do the rest your self and then drop it in when its all done and sell the old one
hmm. I like that idea. Are you really saying that with no experiance I could build an engine?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Drama Queen/Banned

Body lifts, interior, lift kits and exhaust are not going to make your rig anymore reliable. Invest in the basics first, tune up, coolant flush, thermostat, change all the filters and oil in everything. Flush and adjust the brakes, flush the clutch hydro system, grease all the stuff that needs greasing. How are your hoses, fuel lines, battery.

After that?s all done and up to snuff, your first investment should be an alarm since these early rigs get stolen a lot.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Contributing Member

i took the motor out of my 93 pickup i use to have it was a 22re and it wasint that hard and i didint have a clue what i was doin if you take lots of pics and label all the hose and bolts you should be fine and theres plenty of people down there that i bet wouldint mind helping you

Last edited by Elton; 02-17-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by paxil4x4
Body lifts, interior, lift kits and exhaust are not going to make your rig anymore reliable. Invest in the basics first, tune up, coolant flush, thermostat, change all the filters and oil in everything. Flush and adjust the brakes, flush the clutch hydro system, grease all the stuff that needs greasing. How are your hoses, fuel lines, battery.

After that?s all done and up to snuff, your first investment should be an alarm since these early rigs get stolen a lot.
You're so right. I changed the oil in the engine, synthetic oil and a K and N filter. Everything else you said here will absalutley be the first to be done. Thank you sooo much, Its so easy to get distracted by all the other stuff I want to do it. Reliability is the most important thing to me. Thank you!!
Old 02-18-2007, 12:00 AM

i took the motor out of my 93 pickup i use to have it was a 22re and it wasint that hard and i didint have a clue what i was doin if you take lots of pics and label all the hose and bolts you should be fine and theres plenty of people down there that i bet wouldint mind helping you
Well thats incredidly inspireing!! I want to do that! Thank You very much!
Old 02-18-2007, 12:03 AM

I just read this again and I want to clarify. Are you saying to have someone else rebuil the bottom and to rebuild the top myself? or am I just reading this wrong?
Old 02-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Contributing Member

i meant you could have someone do the machine work to the bottom end install new pistons and crank and other parts needed then you could get a new head from engnbldr install that your self then do the timing chain too and sell your old motor almost complete and make a some money back

Last edited by Elton; 02-18-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:08 AM

Why Rebuild?

Originally Posted by 91TPU
The Best noney you can spend right now is gonna be to do just what this post recomends! Find out where you stand with what you have. The compression and leak down test will give you a good idea of the condition of the head and rings.The test kit aint real expensive,and the instructions will most likely come with it. If not someone here will walk you through it. Really easy to do. Find someone near that knows what they are looking at and pull the valve cover and see what the timing chain guide rails look like. If they are breaking up you spend that money quick, cause when that chain wears a hole in the timing gear cover you start to cry.When you pull the sparky plugs to do the comp and leak down test see if they all look about the same. A good tune up sure is a good idea for your next step, check the condition of the plugs, wire's, rotor and cap. Replace if needed. Check the timing, gap the plugs. Then belts and hose's. Dont forget heater hoses and vacuum lines. All those little lines get brittle with age and can start to crack. Just make sure that you do one at a time if you replace them so you wont get mixed up. Don't jump into pulling the motor down if you were told it's been done recently a good maintenance program and another few thousand miles of driving will sure let you know what you have. Drive you new ride for a while. Get to know her.
All that and a dollar will get ya a double cheesburger
Jim
Old 02-18-2007, 04:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the benefits to doing this?

Not trying to be a smartass, but everything I've read indicates that a suspension lift won't give any more flex than a body lift, and in fact will make the truck less reliable on the trails and street because of the risk of bending or breaking a drop bracket...

Is this recommendation based on looks alone?

Quick Reply: Newbie needs info on where to money for reliability