Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New project runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New project runner

Hey everyone, well I managed to buy the 94 4runner I was after so now I have to fix a few things namely the engine.
http://www.members.cox.net/beverle3/4runner/t1.JPG
I would consider doing the 3.4 swap but moneys kinda tight right now and I suppose it could always be done later.
Supposidly the engine was run low on oil but I won't know how bad it is until I get it out and apart. I plan to shoot some pics along the way.
It' has some pretty nice lookin tires and rims, http://www.members.cox.net/beverle3/4runner/t3.JPG
Manik Grille guard,
http://www.members.cox.net/beverle3/4runner/t2.JPG
and some heavy duty front floormats and rear cargomat.
Other things I need to get fixed are:
1. My jacks missing from under the rear seat.
2. The lock tab is missing from the inside of the fuel door. It would be great if someone could shoot a pic of the lock tab for me and I could make one and fix that as I would hate to try and repaint the whole fuel door if it were replaced.
3. The aftermarket Clifford alarm needs some attention I think.
4. The rear tailgate has the typical rust and I was planning to have the local metal shop bend me up a nice piece of polished stainless that I could slip under the window wiper strip and come down to that second body line on the gate after addressing the rust then installing a new wiper strip.
http://www.members.cox.net/beverle3/4runner/t4.JPG
The bottom of the gate looks pretty good, although the hinges were a little stiff.
5. Sony Mp3 will have to invade the dash.
6. Looks like someone modified the switch ou have to push along with the sunroof "close" switch so it could be closed without having to push both.
I may leave that alone.
7. Fix the rust on the right rear fender.
http://www.members.cox.net/beverle3/4runner/t5.JPG
8. Get all the little goofy stickers off various areas.
9. I have a new bronze tinted right rear triangle window on order.
10. Repaint that rear airfoil flat black.
11. Undercoat some of the undercarriage.
Any advise on any of these repairs is appreciated as you all are the experts!
Thanks
Chris.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my advice on the ur repairs would be to take off that brush guard and sell it to me, would make ur 4runner look soo much better . You got a great lookin 4runner there, how much did you pay for it and wut are your BIGGER plans for it such as lift and stuff?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:39 AM

new runner project

Hey thanks, I gave 1200 mostly due to the engine problems which I was told at first was a headgasket problem. Anyway getting it running first is top priority. then i suppose lift the back a bit. Does it look saggy? I want to be able to pull my boat around so I also have to possible install an oil cooler for the trans and I need a hitch bar. What do ya think about the stainless strip on the tailgate idea? My fiance had a 99 years ago and when we took the dogs sometimes they would put their paws up on the top of the gate when riding in the back and scratch the paint at the top of the gate. I figured the strip would stop allot of that. I guess I need to spend more time in here gettin ideas and lookin at what everyone else has accomplished before going with long term plans.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the headgasket problem is covered by a recall and you can get that replaced free from the stealership if it hasnt already been done before. You should call them up with your VIN number and check on that first. it does look a little big saggy and that can be fixed with either new rear coils or coil spacers in the rear. www.4crawler.com has the rear spacers that will fix it or if you wanted to go with new coils i have heard great comments about the downey coils and ome coils. i think the downey coils go for around 150 without shipping and the rear spacers are around 100 bucks without shipping. My idea would be if ur gonna spend that money to just fix the tail sag, then you should go with either option 2 or 3 of https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...=complete+lift. they are good quality lifts and either one of them would not look bad with the tires you have on ur truck now. about the stainless steel strip, yeah that sounds like a really cool lookin idea but unless you clean up all the old rust first, all the rust that is under that strip will keep growin until that whole part just rusts out. you would have to cut out the old rust and put in the new strip. if you can figure out any ideas about that part then let me know because my 4runner has that same rust. just get ready to open up that wallet man.
good luck with everything
-Kyle
Old 05-27-2006, 05:20 PM

speaking of the brush guard. i really like that one. who makes it? im looking for one. and i got downey HD coils on mine and i like them. i want more lift though. ive seen the OME 901s and they seem to get a lil more lift out of them. those will fix up the saggy ass problem. better than spacers in my opionion