86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New (old) 94 Yota Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scuuuba_steve
Finally a tool I already have! The $7 pick .

Yes, he did look at the chain but i forgot to ask. He just wrote exactly that on the paper, so I'm assuming I need to replace the chain as well. Im trying to figure out how to access the guides.

And I believe he said the head gasket is leaking.

Not sure about the steering box. Does it affect the alignment of the steering wheel? If so, the steering wheel is a bit off.
I found a picture on what to look for on the guides. When the valve cover is off, you just look down the front.

I would check with him and ask why you need a new head gasket. Did he find coolant in the oil?

As long as your steering moves freely in both directions, your steering box should be fine. Any misalignment is adjusted by the tie rods and the steering wheel on its shaft splines. Only if I was having a hard time turning the wheel would I think I need a new steering box.

Chain guides...
Old 11-29-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks for that. What I really don't know how to do is remove the chain cover. Can't really find a guide for it either. Might just ask one of my friends to come by and help me after I get the parts.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:48 PM

ok i just got to this post now and i have a suspision u took ur car to a mexhanic, he found nothing wrong, but listes all the major replaceable parts amd how much he chargea to replace them. that in no way means any of these need to be done.

- Valve cover gaskets $200
Use your eyes, is there oil leaking from the top of the engine? if not why fix it.
- Reseal Timing Cover $1,000
again, is it leaking onto the ground? if not why fix it.
- Cylinder head gasket $1,800
did he perform any actual analysis to proove the head gasket was in any sort of need of replacing?
- Reseal oil pan gasket $600
thats pretty expensive for such a simple job.
- Rear main seal $600
dis he remove the gearbox to see the seal damaged or leaking? wait for oil loss or leaks before commiting to such a big job. and do it when the gearbox is allready being removed.
- All 3 radiator hoses + thermostat $250 (he said this one is urgent, as one of the hoses is enlarged and looks ready to burst)
fair enough. cooling system maintenance should be where most initial efforts go, as an overheating engine, is a soon dead engine.
no mention of oil pressure test?
thats the most important teat to chexk the health of an engine and before apending a cent u nees to know if its holding good oil pressure. tbis i dicatea bearing and journal health, to a degree of course.
also, analysis of the fuel economy should be done quite soon to see if everything is rouhly performing as it should.
ans i sont mean driving around ans quoting "how manu tanks of gas u filled up in a week" i mean, measure the litres of fuel used from a fuel tank over km driven, i
or in USA case milea to the gallon (ewww horrible measurement haha).
get a fuel consumption figure and put it up here.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:54 PM

sorry im juat trying to answer ur very sensible question and im not trying to make money out of u. my free advice is mich better than this clever marketting from thia guy threatening u that ull need a new engine soon. did he really say that??
Old 11-29-2017, 10:03 PM

No need to be sorry. Your advice is much appreciated. He said my options are to fix things as they come (when each problem arises), or to take my 22re to get swapped or rebuilt (which would be best done later in a few years when the leaks have grown). There are minor drops of oil on the ground but nothing serious. The person I bought the truck from swore up and down this was the original motor, but after reviewing the receipts in the glove, turns out it had over 400k miles and the top end was rebuilt. He must've reset the mileage on the odometer. This truck has a salvaged title so who knows. When I questioned the seller about how clean the engine bay was, he told me it's not a new motor, just simply had it cleaned. The mechanic said the top of the engine is spotless but the bottom is filthy. He specifically said it was obviously thoroughly degreased, which does match what the seller told me. Again, these aren't real problems yet, but they are something I want to tackle ahead of time.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:07 PM

He also said it's best to go somewhere else to buy the motor and have them install it. He said to find somewhere that specializes in rebuilding 22re motors and have them install the rebuilt motor for the best warranty. He said if I bought from someone else and had him install It, I'd pay the same amount but would only get a 30 day warranty. It would not make sense to refer me elsewhere if he wanted money.

After talking to you all, I've decided the problems won't be as difficult or costly as he makes it seem. As long as I can learn to do it myself and am prepared for it, it's doable.

Last edited by scuuuba_steve; 11-29-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
If the damn thing runs, doesn't gush oil or coolant everywhere or smoke significantly and has decent power (keep in mind no Toyota truck is a powerhouse) then don't go looking for reasons to spend what the truck is worth in engine swaps or other work. Drive it and enjoy it, fix what's necessary and make improvements as you have the time and money.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Congrats on a clean truck. Your mechanic either does not want to work on your rig or it will be his first Toyota. Those prices are astronomical. Granted a lot of shops don’t want to work on 20+ year old rigs. Not sure if he just gave you a cost list if and when stuff goes out. But personally I wouldn’t let him touch my stuff.

I started wrenching on dirt bikes and quads before trucks. Toyota’s I think are simpler than a lot of the newer bikes. Rockauto will have a lot of NGK, Denso, Aisin parts for good prices. Don’t run penzoil, Bosch electronic parts tend not to go well with these Toyota’s.

Don’t do a head gasket or timing cover unless you need to. A compression tester and Hydrocarbon test kit will let you know if you have a head gasket problem. I wouldn’t bother with either unless you have water in your oil or are loosing a lot of coolant. Pull the valve cover and shine a flashlight down the front of the motor. You should be able to see the chain guides. It’s the drivers side that seems to break.

For the prices he quoted you for all the work you can probably order a 22re performance or LCE motor. Both build great motors just $$$$. Engnbldr our of Portland has great parts and great prices. He also builds great motors but you would need to drop your existing motor off for him to rebuild it.

Honestly on your rig it’s super clean. Take a lot of pictures of the vacuum hose routing. Check your timing chain guides. Use a new valve cover gasket, aka rubber press in gasket, replace the 1/2 moons,don’t forget a light bit of RTV, and top grommets. Doesn’t even require a torque wrench for that part. Plenary of write ups and YouTube videos on this. Watch several and you should be good to go.