Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New motor stalls out/No power help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright figured out the dash light issue found a ground that managed to get buried and never hooked up. Truck is still having trouble starting (LONG CRANKS) and still stalls out with no power but will stay running as long as my foot is on the gas. I pulled the tube off of the PCV valve and there was quite a bit of oil in the hose is this normal?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Some oil condensate is normal.

Since you have to keep the throttle open for the engine to run, I got to thinking....pcv stuck open or major air intake leak somewhere like an open port or vac line? Too lean a mixture, that you have to force the ecu to put out more fuel by going WOT with the accelerator.

Try this. Disconnect the pcv from the air intake hose and plug the open ports shut. Then try cranking. If its stuck open, the valve is no good. Plugging it is a way to simulate a closed valve such as what should happen during idling.

There is the pcv rattle test, but not very reliable way to confirm.

But I think its an intake leak. Large enough to stall. Can spray starter fluid around the intake and surrounding hoses as you (or someone) cranks and see if it manages to find its way in and get it cranked over. Especially around where the egr used to be. You had an engine torn apart from my understanding. If it cranks over when spraying in a particular area, you likely have an air leak. Only do this test if no arcs or sparks present. Fire extinguisher ready nearby in case.

Or fuel-related.. Someone suggested taking a look at the direction of your fuel filter. Did that yield anything?

Fuel pressure. I'm wondering how the fuel press regulator is hooked up and it wasnt mentioned if you tested it.

Do these engines have a cold start injector?

I dont think the unusual exhaust finding relates. But one less thing to stress over.

I could definitely learn something here so if anything I said is off course, please set the record straight
Old 02-12-2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN
Some oil condensate is normal.

Since you have to keep the throttle open for the engine to run, I got to thinking....pcv stuck open or major air intake leak somewhere like an open port or vac line? Too lean a mixture, that you have to force the ecu to put out more fuel by going WOT with the accelerator.

Try this. Disconnect the pcv from the air intake hose and plug the open ports shut. Then try cranking. If its stuck open, the valve is no good. Plugging it is a way to simulate a closed valve such as what should happen during idling.

There is the pcv rattle test, but not very reliable way to confirm.

But I think its an intake leak. Large enough to stall. Can spray starter fluid around the intake and surrounding hoses as you (or someone) cranks and see if it manages to find its way in and get it cranked over. Especially around where the egr used to be. You had an engine torn apart from my understanding. If it cranks over when spraying in a particular area, you likely have an air leak. Only do this test if no arcs or sparks present. Fire extinguisher ready nearby in case.

Or fuel-related.. Someone suggested taking a look at the direction of your fuel filter. Did that yield anything?

Fuel pressure. I'm wondering how the fuel press regulator is hooked up and it wasnt mentioned if you tested it.

Do these engines have a cold start injector?

I dont think the unusual exhaust finding relates. But one less thing to stress over.

I could definitely learn something here so if anything I said is off course, please set the record straight
just got done plugging the PCV valve and port it made no difference other than made it sputter at higher RPMs. The PCV valve is also brand new, the fuel filter was replaced shortly before I pulled the motor out and it ran fine so I know that's right. Here's a pic of the fuel pressure regulator, I've gone over all the vac lines about 20 times a day and everything is capped off except for the fuel pressure regulator and the charcoal canister going to the P port. I have also unplugged the mass air flow sensor and that immediately kills the engine when unplugged so that is also working as it should

Last edited by Cumminsguy1; 02-12-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 PM

How long was the gas in the tank sitting? Maybe some fresh fuel??

Starter fluid spray test is also still on the table...even to see if it affects idle/stall.

Compression check perhaps?

Something is just missing or installed weird, I mean if it ran like this before the teardown, ok maybe not, but if didnt exist before, it has to be something. What exactly was torn down?
I hope you find out what is causing all the frustration.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN
How long was the gas in the tank sitting? Maybe some fresh fuel??

Starter fluid spray test is also still on the table...even to see if it affects idle/stall.

Compression check perhaps?

Something is just missing or installed weird, I mean if it ran like this before the teardown, ok maybe not, but if didnt exist before, it has to be something. What exactly was torn down?
I hope you find out what is causing all the frustration.
Truck was sitting for 3 months I drained 90% of the gas specifically so it wouldn't go bad, put 10 gallons of fresh fuel in before start up. I pulled the motor put in new pistons/rings, freeze plugs, oil galley's cleaned, new main and rod bearings, dual row timing chain upgrade, 73lb valve springs, oversized valves and a real aggressive camshaft. The cam I installed says it's made to work with out ECU mods but I'm wondering if it's to aggressive letting in too much air Maybe?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cumminsguy1
Truck was sitting for 3 months I drained 90% of the gas specifically so it wouldn't go bad, put 10 gallons of fresh fuel in before start up. I pulled the motor put in new pistons/rings, freeze plugs, oil galley's cleaned, new main and rod bearings, dual row timing chain upgrade, 73lb valve springs, oversized valves and a real aggressive camshaft. The cam I installed says it's made to work with out ECU mods but I'm wondering if it's to aggressive letting in too much air Maybe?
I re- wired the ECU to injector wires, I made sure my crimps were good while I was doing it and it's hard cranking now
Also something to look into...the injector wiring crimps not vibrating loose? Solder them perhaps?
​​​​​​​
ECU not shorted somewhere during the process? Doubtful if you had everything electrically disconnected. Not sure with ecu mods, but something to investigate if no other findings.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
What were the specific valve clearences for that cam?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 87-4runner
What were the specific valve clearences for that cam?
Intake 6 exhaust 8
Old 02-13-2019, 03:05 PM

So I replaced my TPS about 100 miles before the rebuild so i haven't even thought of that as a possibly however I'm wondering if it's possible I got a faulty TPS and it went bad while it was sitting?
Old 02-13-2019, 05:05 PM

Alright I think I Lost the crowd but here's another update for documentation. Tonight I noticed a whistle noise almost as if it had a turbo on it and it would get slightly loader as I pushed on the gas, I'm leaning more towards having a bad distributor cap as this one is old and after doing som ed more reading it looks as if a bad distributor cap can cause stalling, high pitched noises, and Bogging

Last edited by Cumminsguy1; 02-13-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:31 PM

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts
Still reading the thread. Just running out of ideas of what is going on.

Can you do a vacuum test on the engine? You can plug in at the three way port.

At least test the TPS because that could very well be your problem.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by snippits
Still reading the thread. Just running out of ideas of what is going on.

Can you do a vacuum test on the engine? You can plug in at the three way port.

At least test the TPS because that could very well be your problem.
how would I go about doing a vacuum test? Got my interest there as I have never seen or heard of that being done but would definitely like to do it
Old 02-13-2019, 05:42 PM

https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-p...ter-62637.html

Should have directions, and some tips are right on the face of the dial.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:49 PM

So... you have an after market fuel pressure regulator correct?
was the oem one removed, or just added the after market in line?
Old 02-13-2019, 06:09 PM

So... you have an after market fuel pressure regulator correct?
was the oem one removed, or just added the after market in line?
I was not aware I had an aftermarket regulator, the guy that owned the truck before me must have replaced it. The only things I replaced as far as the fuel system goes is the Injectors, Filter, and fuel rail.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:14 PM

I was not aware I had an aftermarket regulator, the guy that owned the truck before me must have replaced it. The only things I replaced as far as the fuel system goes is the Injectors, Filter, and fuel rail.
sorry i was rereading this thread and in all the confusion somehow came up with you having an aftermarket FPR...
REPLACE the fuel pressure regulator.... it's not an expensive part, easy to replace, and just might fix your problem ..
Old 02-13-2019, 06:17 PM

sorry i was rereading this thread and in all the confusion somehow came up with you having an aftermarket FPR...
REPLACE the fuel pressure regulator.... it's not an expensive part, easy to replace, and just might fix your problem ..
I'll get one ordered right now and let you all know how it works out
Old 02-13-2019, 06:31 PM

For what ever reason the Toyota fuel regulator has dropped dramatically in price. They were around the $140 mark in 2017. Now you can get one for $90 plus shipping.

https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.c...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D
Old 02-21-2019, 05:40 PM

still haven't solved the issue, simply took a few weeks off to try to get a "fresh start" here's a video from this afternoon of how it runs with the TPS unplugged.... any ideas?
Old 02-21-2019, 05:41 PM

Well apparently you cant post a video NEVER MIND

Quick Reply: New motor stalls out/No power help!