Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New MINT '90 4runner in garage, Qs on aftermarket steering wheel/rear lift spacer!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MINT '90 4runner in garage, Qs on aftermarket steering wheel/rear lift spacer!?

First off let me say HI, and take a minute to brag:

I was looking for a nice daily driver (have a 400 hp MR2 but its not that great of a daily LOL) and have owned many Toyota pickups. Searched high and low for a 5spd/22RE 4runner and was coming up dry...only ones around were 2WD, 2.7L, and going for $7000+. Then luck struck. Newpaper ad pops up for a 1990 Maroon 'Runner, 5spd/22RE, ORIGINAL OWNER (bought new off lot), no accidents, not even a scratch in the paint, nearly mint interior, all maintenance done (new Toyo 31s, new timing chain, new HG, new clutch)...and the kicker...the price is reasonable!.

Well of course I high tailed it up there and its even better than they described. And now its mine!! Will post pics soon

Anyways my first mod (silly one) is going to be a smaller diameter steering wheel. Driving MR2s I'm used to small wheels (~13") and this 20"er (jk) is killing me. I plan to get approximately a 15" wheel. My problem is the cruise control. I don't want to lose it...but its split into multiple buttons on the steering wheel. Sucks. So has anybody found a good aftermarket solution? Also, any good wheels that use model specific hubs? I hate the cheapo Grant wheels, I like the MOMO, Sparco, etc specific hubs that don't flex. Looking to spend under $100 if possible.

Secondly, I am going to add some coil spacers in the rear to fix the saggy-butt look. On my Titan and Jeeps they are generally very cheap ($40 or so) and are just a 1-2" poly spacer that you stack on top of your coil. Do they make such a beast for the 4runner rear? Is 1" generally acceptable? Links?

For anybody who appreciates other models of Toyotas, here are my two current MR2s:

Hi to all and thanks for making this site!!

Last edited by Justin311; 02-25-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Can't help on the spacer questions as I have a 3rd gen but welcome. BTW, those MR2's are pretty SWEET!!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice MR2's. Yes, daystar makes a spacer for the coils to fix your saggy ass problem and welcome to yotatech.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

First off, welcome, I'm sure you will find an amazing wealth of knowledge off all things pertaining to Toyota offroad. The answer to your question about the spacers, is yes, they do make spacers for the rear springs...

Daystar is one well known company that several members have successfully solved their "saggy bottom" problem...

Daystar spacers

Hope this helps!

Oh, and great looking MR2's, by the way!
Old 04-07-2006, 12:30 PM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black MR2=The sex!

Welcome.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
First off, welcome, I'm sure you will find an amazing wealth of knowledge off all things pertaining to Toyota offroad. The answer to your question about the spacers, is yes, they do make spacers for the rear springs...

Daystar is one well known company that several members have successfully solved their "saggy bottom" problem...

Daystar spacers

Hope this helps!

Oh, and great looking MR2's, by the way!
Yes, helps a lot. Usually in the Jeep community we shy'ed away from Daystar, they always squeaked. There was a guy who just started machinging ours out of poly and they were much better. But if nobody's doing that here I'll take Daystar rather than a saggy ass LOL. But it looks like daystar makes 5 different height spacers (1.25-2.5"). Any concensus on which brings the truck closest to level? Or is it more of a "measure the sag and best guess it?" Im guessing 1.5" at this point!

Originally Posted by Baz
Black MR2=The sex!

Welcome.
Thanks Baz. The black MR2 I built and painted, the red one I bought already done up like that. The red one is up for sale but I'll never sell the black one, she's gonna be a beast once this motor gets done....

Here is the widebody I built, a little more my style than the red one:

And a pic of my old taco I found in the same album

Old 04-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
welcome, instead of getting spacers replace the coils with either OME or Downey. The Downey's will get you level while the OME's will give it a raked look.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the advice! How do the spring rates differ from stock? I love the stock ride right now (coming from a guy who likes stiff suspension....) and I've always heard OME is on the soft side.

EDIT: Found a site that sells them:

http://www.safari4x4.com/ome/omecoilsprings.htm

OME900 OME COIL SPRING TOYOTA 4RUNNER <95 REAR MEDIUM $73.39
OME901 OME COIL SPRING TOYOTA 4RUNNER <95 HD REAR $73.39

Anybody have experience on the soft vs. the hard? I would lean towards the hard but not if it makes the back end jump around when unloaded. I assume both of these will the correct height to give me the "raked" stance? Is $150 for a pair the going rate?

Last edited by Justin311; 04-07-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
OME's do give a softer ride( much better than stock) especially when paired with the OME comfort shocks. The Downey HD's will give you a stiffer ride but they are very popular on this board.

I paid $120 for mine but that was like 4 years ago. I have the standards and love the ride they give.

Last edited by Paul H.; 04-07-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:57 PM

OK well I guess that gives me good leads for the suspension. Thank you!

Anybody out there have input on retaining cruise control and swapping steering wheels?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Justin311
Thanks for the advice! How do the spring rates differ from stock? I love the stock ride right now (coming from a guy who likes stiff suspension....) and I've always heard OME is on the soft side.

EDIT: Found a site that sells them:

http://www.safari4x4.com/ome/omecoilsprings.htm

OME900 OME COIL SPRING TOYOTA 4RUNNER <95 REAR MEDIUM $73.39
OME901 OME COIL SPRING TOYOTA 4RUNNER <95 HD REAR $73.39

Anybody have experience on the soft vs. the hard? I would lean towards the hard but not if it makes the back end jump around when unloaded. I assume both of these will the correct height to give me the "raked" stance? Is $150 for a pair the going rate?
Strap22 is a member here and works at a Toyota dealership. He also gets aftermarket parts for members here. I'm not sure what 900 or 901 costs but I got 891's for my 3rd gen from him for $132 shipped. You may want to send him a PM and ask for yours. He'll probably get you a better deal.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:58 PM

Aha..there is another one who wants to change to steering wheel. Me too. I think the toyota one is very ugly. You know what I was thinking to do with the cruise is put in a switch off of the steering column like the 96 Tacoma has. (maybe other years too I'm sure). That looks like the best bet so far but I haven't gotten into the details yet on how it would work.

I saw a sparco hub one time that I really liked so I agree with you on that one. For my wheel, I just got a cheap one on ebay, cleaned off the logo on the horn button and now I'm searching for a Toyota emblem or something that I can put in instead. It cost me $50 and I'm happy. Plus when it's all together it will be more authentic.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:04 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Search - I asked this a while ago. There are a few links to companies that make remotes that can go in the horn button
Old 04-07-2006, 04:46 PM

WOW!!! you got a steal..... congrats. i agree with the people that say to get the springs and not the spacers. the new springs will help when you load it all up. will not sag. i have Downey HD springs. have yet to install them cuz of all the damn rain.....but springs are probably a better choice from what i heard.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Schooler
I saw a sparco hub one time that I really liked so I agree with you on that one. For my wheel, I just got a cheap one on ebay, cleaned off the logo on the horn button and now I'm searching for a Toyota emblem or something that I can put in instead. It cost me $50 and I'm happy. Plus when it's all together it will be more authentic.
Any pics?

Originally Posted by tc
Search - I asked this a while ago. There are a few links to companies that make remotes that can go in the horn button
Yeah I saw that link but I don't like it, much too complicated. I simply want to wire it to an aux box, no expensive RF transmitters thank you

WOW!!! you got a steal..... congrats. i agree with the people that say to get the springs and not the spacers. the new springs will help when you load it all up. will not sag. i have Downey HD springs. have yet to install them cuz of all the damn rain.....but springs are probably a better choice from what i heard.
Haha I thought nobody was goin to comment on the steal....i can't beleive lit and nobody that sees my truck can either. I need to get some pictures up maybe then.

I decided to go with springs based on everybodys advice. I"ll PM that guy and see if he can get me some for 132...good price.

And thanks to the other guy for the info on that good price!!
Old 04-09-2006, 05:36 AM

Damn, that is a helluva deal! I thought I stole my 90 SR5 with a little Toyota cancer on the fenders for $3200!! Way ta go! (you don't live in Maryland, do you? )
Old 04-09-2006, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

your black mr2 brings back some great memories for me. mine was a 93 turbo, last year they brought them into canada. never got around to doing any mods to it but it was a real screamer right out of the box. oh, to have that little rocket back today!

great deal on your runner, sometimes you luck out on a one owner thats been taken care of. cogratulations and welcome to the family. no need to tell you about the empty wallet syndrome.

lee
Old 04-10-2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by leebee
your black mr2 brings back some great memories for me. mine was a 93 turbo, last year they brought them into canada. never got around to doing any mods to it but it was a real screamer right out of the box. oh, to have that little rocket back today!

great deal on your runner, sometimes you luck out on a one owner thats been taken care of. cogratulations and welcome to the family. no need to tell you about the empty wallet syndrome.

lee
Hehe...thanks! The one pictured is actually a 1993 Turbo. Maybe I got your old one :p Its possible...there were VERY few actually imported over here. There were 340 '94Ts and they are like finding a needle in a haystack

I decided to order some OME Medium Shocks, and at the same time order an LCE Header (if I can find one). I also lucked out and hte local boneyard had some complete front and rear axle assy's with 4.88s for 400 bucks...so my babies getting some changes early on!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:43 PM

Awasome steal man. I got my '94 3vze 4runner with a 5 speed, 31" BFG AT's, eagle aloy rims, and some other dudads for $2500. It had like 180k and needed a clutch, some gaskets, and some ac work. I have downey coils and spacers on mine and its awasome.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Strap22 is a member here and works at a Toyota dealership. He also gets aftermarket parts for members here. I'm not sure what 900 or 901 costs but I got 891's for my 3rd gen from him for $132 shipped. You may want to send him a PM and ask for yours. He'll probably get you a better deal.
I contacted Strap, and after explaining my goals and that I would rather just retain the stock shocks, he recommended I go with spacers, which took me back to my original plan LOL. So I ordered some up. If I hate them I will go springs..but I think it'll be perfect. I'll install them when I install my new 4.88 axle assemblys this weekend. Woohoo, off and running hahaha!

Quick Reply: New MINT '90 4runner in garage, Qs on aftermarket steering wheel/rear lift spacer!?