86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new locker behavior

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new locker behavior

So i just installed a new detroit ez locker in my rear axle. Around town its road manners are not as bad as I was preparing myself for. However when driving on the freeway they are kind of disconcerting. It feels like the axles are engaging/dis-engaging constantly, even when driving on a straight section of freeway. Is this normal for these? I thought that when driving straight they would remain locked. I checked the tire pressures and they are equal.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe that's the problem; they want to remain locked because the road seems straight & level...however the road is actually not. There are slight differences between the road & your tires, if the road was a low traction surface your tires would be able to slip that few millimeters needed to spin equally that they can't without un-locking on the high traction surface.

In a turn the difference is so great they don't try to lock, did that make sense?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

welcome to the world of autolockers! IMO..id rather just weld the rear than autolock it. at least you'll know whats going on...and its helluva lot cheaper too
Old 04-01-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Lockright in mine and I don't ever feel it when I get over about 15 mph...

It can be hell in a parking lot but once I get up to speed I don't ever know its there.

I have to wonder if something went wrong in your install. Did you do all the post installation checks?
Old 04-01-2007, 01:51 PM

I did checks, not sure if I missed something though. What checks can I do to verify its working correctly? with the rear tires off the ground, how hard should it be to break an axle loose so it free wheels? With the truck in N I can grab a wheel and turn it quickly causing it to "free wheel". Any help would be great, I want to find out if what I am experiencing is normal.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:51 PM

That is the nature of the EZ.

I have one in my 86 manual, and it behaves the same way. I'd rather have it open than keep dealing with it.

Apparently, only EZ Lockers behave this abdly, and it is considered acceptable.

Trade it out for something else if you can.

Aslo, search for a topic by me, and you will find some decent info on this same situation.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:53 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/problems-my-ez-locker-104878/
Old 04-01-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks for that info, that helps. I guess I installed it correctly. I'm thinking I will leave it in there for a while and see how if I can get used to it. Mean while I will be saving for an ARB. I wanted to try this to see if I could get away with saving some money. I don't want to go back to open because that was getting me no where, literally. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:51 PM

maybe use a little heavier gear oil and also throw in some friction modifier.
My Aussie locker is pretty quiet and only gives the odd jerk at slow speeds in tight corners.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:53 PM

what weight gear oil should I use?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by CenCalRunner
what weight gear oil should I use?
I think that anything other than 80W90 is personal preference. I am using 85W140 with friction modifier in my jeep's Dana 44 with an Aussie locker with good results. (basically a lockright)
I found that with the 80W90 the locker was a little bit noisier and rougher. It's pretty smooth now. Maybe post or search to see what other weight gear oil people are using?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Probably has nothing to do with it but maybe...

I have noticed on my Detroit Soft Locker that if the tires are not really close to the same pressure it acts a bit more touchy. I have also heard this from others about the Loc rites.

Maybe just something to look at. THis does not sound normal at all for an auto locker. Something may be wrong with the set up.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:57 AM

Slamigo I could see that helping... I may try that after my 3rd is broken in.

Mine works great but it could be a little quieter when its ratcheting.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 AM

Your rear tires have to be within 3/8" circumference of each other according to the lockright owners manual(or any auto locker). Otherwise the tires spin at slightly different speeds, which causes the locker act up. I've installed a few Ez-lockers and besides slow tight turns I never feel them at all.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 AM

That's not a lot - aprox. 1/8" diameter, or 1/16" difference in treadwear. Plus obviously how much the tire "flattens" as it contacts the road is a factor as well. It doesn't seem like it'd take much difference in pressure to set you off that far.....
Old 04-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Could a brake shoe be dragging a little causing this behavior?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:37 PM

So its been a while since I had installed my locker and I wanted to follow up with what happened. I have since removed the locker and gone back to open. While I was driving to the mountains to go wheeling the locker really started to screw around... it seemed like both side gears were disengaging at the same time allowing the "power side" of the gears to just spin up really fast (the speedo topped out while I was going about 55). This, as you might imagine, produced a wonderful noise as the gears slid across each other at that speed. Removing my foot from the gas and jerking the throttle made the gears re-engage. On the drive home it was happening about once a minute. I removed the locker myself looking for signs of anything wrong and couldn't find anything so I returned the locker to summit for a full refund (got to love that place). Anyone else heard of something like this happening?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:42 PM

i have a full spool now that is weird on the highway
Old 07-25-2007, 05:52 PM

Definently something wrong with it if it was behaving like that. It was losing engagement. Never heard of that, had an LA locker way back when with no probs.

Last edited by SoCalWheeler71; 07-25-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CenCalRunner
So its been a while since I had installed my locker and I wanted to follow up with what happened. I have since removed the locker and gone back to open. While I was driving to the mountains to go wheeling the locker really started to screw around... it seemed like both side gears were disengaging at the same time allowing the "power side" of the gears to just spin up really fast (the speedo topped out while I was going about 55). This, as you might imagine, produced a wonderful noise as the gears slid across each other at that speed. Removing my foot from the gas and jerking the throttle made the gears re-engage. On the drive home it was happening about once a minute. I removed the locker myself looking for signs of anything wrong and couldn't find anything so I returned the locker to summit for a full refund (got to love that place). Anyone else heard of something like this happening?
I had the same problem with a lock right and reinstalled it twice to make sure everything was correct but ended up doing just like you and removed it. I did try the limited slip jucie and different gear oil weights but it was just a waist of money and time so now the rear is open again and aussie locked the front much better set up. I will admit though I miss the extra traction in the rear off road and belive it or not I lost fuel mileage when I pulled it out for the last time.

Quick Reply: new locker behavior