Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Here

Old 08-07-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Here

Hi all! I'm new around here... was referred by a friend of mine. I have an '86 shortbed 4x4 22r. It's all stock except for the wheels. I want to start building it up... body and suspension lift, etc, so any advice or suggerstions would be awesome! Thanks!

Here's a vid:
http://www.booost.com/forums/gallery...g_2007_028.avi

Some pics:

Old 08-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to yotatech.... sweet truck
Old 08-08-2007, 06:10 PM

I'd love to have my truck in some fresh snow like that. Looks like an awesome truck and by the looks of the pictures it's already been a lot of fun. Maybe try putting some herculiner across the bottom of it(just a thought).
Old 08-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Sweet! I love the snow! I can't wait 'til winter when I get to drive around in some powder

Don't body lift it man!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet truck. and i say do what ever makes you happy.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome and sweet truck.

Things I want to do with my stock truck is replace the springs, expecially the back, there supposed to be one inch higher then the front and mine sag. Plus it would be nice to get some good shocks too. Then I'll also want some 33's.

Also winch bumper with lights, and a roll cage.

But first I gotta do a bit of stuff to the engine and CV joint (Maybe) to make sure I wont be stranded on some desolate logging road or something.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the boards! Makes me miss my 1st Gen even more!

Last edited by RedRunner_87; 08-08-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Love the snow.. Love the mud... Love the AZ pines.. Love the truck! Welcome to YT!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:26 PM

Thanks all! So is the general consensus against body lift? If so, why? I've actually pondered doing a suspension lift so I can go larger on the tires. Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by FlagSStaff
Thanks all! So is the general consensus against body lift? If so, why? I've actually pondered doing a suspension lift so I can go larger on the tires. Thanks again!
Body lifts only lift the body up off the frame. You can run a larger tire, but you only get the advantage of a larger tire. There's no other point to the body lift. Also, you get that nasty "frame hanging out" look if you go much larger than about 1". If you only want a larger tire, you can shave and hammer the inner fender well and run quite a bit larger tire.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jcfb
Body lifts only lift the body up off the frame. You can run a larger tire, but you only get the advantage of a larger tire. There's no other point to the body lift. Also, you get that nasty "frame hanging out" look if you go much larger than about 1". If you only want a larger tire, you can shave and hammer the inner fender well and run quite a bit larger tire.
I have news for you, a bracket lift does exactly the same thing and also gives you the benefit of weakening the suspension. Unless you're doing a full SAS the only benefit to any type of lift is that it lets you run bigger tires.

You can do bj spacers in the front and longer shackles in the back and pick up a little more wheel travel with very few consequences, but if you're looking for substantial lift without cutting and welding, a body lift is a really cheap, safe way to go. And if you put a nerf or a slider on the truck the frame doesn't look bad at all.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
No one has mentioned it, so I suppose I will.

If you go as large as a 33" tire and larger, without regearing, you'll lose power and mileage. Anything 33" and below won't necessarily require any lifting for clearance.

However, as far as lifting is concerned, and from what I gather, a suspension lift will give you more clearance under the carriage....namely the t-case crossmember and fuel tank. A body lift, other than clearing for tires, seems to give an advantage as far as maintanence....being able to reach certain parts and repair or replace easier. BUT, you will possibly have to make some modifications seeing as how the motor will then be dropping a bit lower in the engine bay....heater hoses, radiator hoses, and some electrical cables. The larger tires will help you clear the differentials, though.

Just to clear tires, any lift is as good as any if you don't go to far....and you really shouldn't need much. I can't see any more than an inch or two.

Personally, I'm not one for bangin' on the truck for clearance.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I have news for you, a bracket lift does exactly the same thing and also gives you the benefit of weakening the suspension. Unless you're doing a full SAS the only benefit to any type of lift is that it lets you run bigger tires.

You can do bj spacers in the front and longer shackles in the back and pick up a little more wheel travel with very few consequences, but if you're looking for substantial lift without cutting and welding, a body lift is a really cheap, safe way to go. And if you put a nerf or a slider on the truck the frame doesn't look bad at all.
Well, good point!

I hate nerf bars too, so I guess I'm just completely anti-body-lift.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:52 PM

Im at the same stage with my truck as you are.

except you prolly have 31's with better rims xD
----

cant wait to get a weekend off work and drive up north and go wheelin with some friends. where are the pics taken at?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by sh0kk86
Im at the same stage with my truck as you are.

except you prolly have 31's with better rims xD
----

cant wait to get a weekend off work and drive up north and go wheelin with some friends. where are the pics taken at?
My truck looked JUST like that when I had the factory wheels and tires... lol

I took the pics at various places around Flag that I've been.

Search this Thread