86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Head Casting Suggestions 22re

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bakervaper
What pistons and other lower end brand did you go with all the machine work and parts had to cost a lot at least you know it's done rite
the machine shop services the high end racing market and does Ferrari and Lamborghini engines for racing purposes so I trusted his word when he said he hated DNJ, he said they look to fit tolerance wise but he weighed some DNJ pistons and they were all over the map some as much as 15 grams lighter than the other so he didn't even want to do the work (pressing the wrist pin bushings) if I brought him DNJ parts, since he is the best in the area I decided to not bring him DNJ parts. He recommended ITM for the pistons and bearings and he got me Mahle rings too. Same goes for the timing set and he got me a metal backed chain guide with it. The seals I rejected because I bought an entire OEM overhaul seals kit for 150. It didn't make sense to pay 80$ for aftermarket seals and gaskets when I was then going to spend another 40-50$ on an OEM head gasket when for 40$ more I could get all Toyota OEM seals.

Last edited by outdoorjunky; 06-09-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also used the oem headgasket too and I bought a head gasket gasket set and it had a headgasket in it too but when hold the oem in your hand its obviously made better
Old 06-09-2018, 09:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bakervaper
I also used the oem headgasket too and I bought a head gasket gasket set and it had a headgasket in it too but when hold the oem in your hand its obviously made better
yeah it's good practice from what I've read here and other forums. The engine I'm rebuilding obviously had an aftermarket one and it was leaking all around the timing cover area because it didn't have that same bead of silicone that's imbedded on the timing cover part of the head gasket and it had cracks but those were a result of the previous owner either just bolting in a junkyard small block without having it checked or from him overhearing the ˟˟˟˟ out of it ... I found a crack in the radiator that was JB welded so I bet he overheated it and he said they threw a rod but then did a "full rebuild". I think his "full rebuild" was in a can because the waterpump was crusted to heck with this orange crap that didn't seem like rust.

Oh yeah that reminds me I also went with Aisin parts for the oil pump and water pump instead of ITM or DNJ