86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Cup Holder Idea.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
New Cup Holder Idea.

Every body wishes that there 84-88 trucks and 4Runners had cup holders, but that was one luxury that we wern`t given, so we have had to come up with our own ideas in order to add cup holders to our trucks. About two years ago i was at pic n pull going through suv`s and vans when i came a cross this two cup - cup holder in the center console of a ford van, so i removed the cup holder and brought it home, figuring that i could some how make it work in my 4Runner. At the time i didn`t know how or were i could make it work so i just hung on to the cup holders until i could come up with an idea that would work and look good. This past saturday i came up with the idea i was looking for, why not mount the cup holders on top of the center console lid ?. I had a spare console lid so i got it out and traced the out line of the cup holders on the lid and cut it out. The lid is hollow so your only cutting through the top. Then i drilled six small holes and screwed the cup holders to the console lid, once that was done i sealed the cup holders to the lid with JB Weld to give it a finished look, i let it dry over night and then lightly sanded the edges of the JB Weld to blend it in a little and then painted the lid.

First picture is the lid cut out.

Second picture are the cup holders i used.

Third picture is fitting the cup holders to the lid and screwing them down.

The fourth picture is with the JB Weld used to seal the cup holders to the lid.

Last picture of the lid painted and installed.

Ive never done a write up before, but hopefully this will help someone out, or at least give you more ideas.

Last edited by myyota; 10-03-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice!

I like it. I like my armrest too much ,though. Speaking of junkyard finds, I got a cup holder from a landrover that flips out of the center console for use by the passengers in the back seat. I trimmed the hinge, and mounted it to the front of the center console...looks like it was meant to be there.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lbeard_gv
I like it. I like my armrest too much ,though. Speaking of junkyard finds, I got a cup holder from a landrover that flips out of the center console for use by the passengers in the back seat. I trimmed the hinge, and mounted it to the front of the center console...looks like it was meant to be there.
lbeard, Do you have any pics of this mod? myyota, that looks good. I tried that on mine before, but it has the rear heat and thus the center console is higher. The cans get in the way of shifting.

I used a pullout cupholder on an armrest from a ford explorer. I just attached the lid from the explorer to the original lid on my 4runner.

closed

open

However, while shifting, the passenger drink still gets in the way, and if the cups "sweat" they will drip on the switches under neath.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:21 AM

I thought mounting the cup holders on the console lid was a good idea, because there really is no other good place to put them, that i liked anyway.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Good thinking! I was just thinking how nice it would be to have some cup holders this weekend as I was driving around! I'm planning on integrating some into my new custom console but would probably be doing something similar to this if I wasn't!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good ideas all around! I've looking for ways to put cupholders in my 4Runner. I initially was going to use this idea:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...89-4rnr-97977/

I really like AustinTaco's idea, though. What year Explorer did that come out of?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a REDinterior!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 PM

LandRover cupholders

here are the pics of my install...excuse the dust...top has been off all summer!

You can see the hinge in this picture. It was originally wider, but I cut it down. I like that it swings up so I can access the bottom latch and switches. Kinda makes the bottom hatch "secret"!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:18 PM

Hey guys these are all cool ideas! Im in the prosess of finding some bucket seats and a center console for my pickup!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Great thread!!
I am going to use one of these ideas for my 1st gen.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 PM

any1 ever thought of just fitting the little whole behind the switches for it? just and idea but im sure if u had some jb weld and a little plastic it could be done...although it could only be made into 1
Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by raddude666
any1 ever thought of just fitting the little whole behind the switches for it? just and idea but im sure if u had some jb weld and a little plastic it could be done...although it could only be made into 1
You could do that, but in my case i have duel cases, so that`s three shifters. I had to cut my console down to fit in the stock location, so that part is now gone.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 94toy4x4fever
Hey guys these are all cool ideas! Im in the prosess of finding some bucket seats and a center console for my pickup!
Not sure what year you're looking for, but I have this one and it didn't fit my truck. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I'll sell it for what I paid and you cover shipping.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 PM

this worked pretty well. Trimmed the screw mounts and used adhesive velcro on all four corners. Sturdy as hell and doesn't get in the way. It's a bell $5.99 cupholder from AutoZone.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 AM

i just went to autozone and bought one of those big plastic coupholders with the junk pockets on either end, and took a sazall and cut the bigger pocket off, fits in the hole between the automic shifter thing, and the seat like it was factory.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you couold always swap in a 89-95 dash and have factory cup holders.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
Wait....really? I haven't seen that, honestly i haven't even searched. But my local pick'n pull has a few 2ndGen Runners there.
I already have my dash out, and was going to rework the center of the dash where the ash tray is located to move my radio up easier to reach, and then install a cup holder(picked from an old Subaru, works like the Toyota one, but made of metal) at the bottom of the area where the pocket(shelf) usually is.
Got any links to someone that has done this? Curious...
Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
These are great for the passenger seat, if you're like me and you drive alone 90% of the time.

http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Orga...tm_campaign=pn

Look at the 5th picture over for all the stuff that it can hold/organize. I also have a back of the passenger seat organizer that's really nice and holds TONS of gear. I also have those over the door edge drink holders that I place over the center console upper lid edge, then close the lid. It hangs on my side and isn't in my way. I'll get pics, later. I like it cuz i can hang it from the back window ledge as well....where I actually have another one for the back seat passengers.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
I'm curious about this too, I always assumed that the two dashes were incompatible, otherwise I would have seen a swap by now. Care to clarify?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by neockder
this worked pretty well. Trimmed the screw mounts and used adhesive velcro on all four corners. Sturdy as hell and doesn't get in the way. It's a bell $5.99 cupholder from AutoZone.

Holy **** did you have your center console/elbow rest recovered? How do i get mine to look like that. Mine is DEAD. Down to the metal plate on the front half.

Quick Reply: New Cup Holder Idea.