Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

new cat time

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new cat time

I have a California emissions 4x4 standard cab. I think my cat is getting plugged, so I'm going to replace it next week or after we pay rent. I'm looking online for cats and prices, and I see different restrictions for converters. For example, on autozone's website, they say that the universal converter cannot be sold and installed with a catalytic converter kit for a california emissions truck. Is this because it physically won't bolt up to the pipes? Or is it because of legal restrictions?

Also, which is recommended/easier for self installation? I see universal converters for half the price as direct fit converters. What does it take to bolt up a universal converter?

I had another question, but it's now slipped my mind, so I'll post it later when I'm done shopping.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Legal restrictions.
All converters sold in California have to have an exemption order for the vehicle they are being installed on so no more universal converters in Cali. Also, good luck buying one to install yourself.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Also, good luck buying one to install yourself.
Why? Is it that hard to do? It looks like mine is only held on by 4 bolts total, one on each side. Is this something a shop should do? I took a cat off of a 1996 subaru outback. Not sure if the toyota's is any different.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave
Why? Is it that hard to do? It looks like mine is only held on by 4 bolts total, one on each side. Is this something a shop should do? I took a cat off of a 1996 subaru outback. Not sure if the toyota's is any different.
Take a look at the ones that LCE sells. This is the route I'm going and you can sell your old one to a scrap yard to recoup the money. They are a direct bolt in, if you can turn a wrench you can swap them out..... and I know you can turn a wrench or two.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Take a look at the ones that LCE sells. This is the route I'm going and you can sell your old one to a scrap yard to recoup the money. They are a direct bolt in, if you can turn a wrench you can swap them out..... and I know you can turn a wrench or two.
Yeah, I just looked at my cat and it looks just like the one on the subaru. So It's definitely something I can probably do myself. The nuts and bolts are all rusted, though, so I think that'll make it harder. Hopefully I wont' need a torch. Just some liquid wrench/PB blaster and my sockets.

Also, the subaru exhaust was completely removed when I took it off, so I hope I can do this lying on my back.

-edit-
Also, looking at the LCE cats, $150 isn't too bad. But if I find something cheaper, I want to buy something that I won't feel bad or hurt in the wallet if it gets sawed off and stolen.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 10-26-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Magnaflow summed up the Cali regs rather well here:
http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04california.asp
There's a link at the bottom of the page to CARB website that goes into more details.