86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New 91runner here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 91runner here!

Hey all, just picked up a 91 runner 22re today, all service record since 1991, as I bought it from original owner, a lawyer . Truck seems to be in very good shape, aside from hole in muffler, but it still passed smog today haha. Theres a pic added here. I posted yesterday with a first gen, but I decided to give it back to my brother and go with this 22re instead of the 6cyl for now, this ones in better shape . I still have about 1g to spend, aside from the 600 im going to spend on the clutch tomorrow . Im thinking about taking it to 33's immediately following clutch, as in within the next week or two, but im new to this whole truck thing . I'm coming from an integra haha. I wont be wheeling this persay right away, fooling around here and there I suppose. everything seems to be in good shape though. Anyways in short, where would I start with the lift/wheels tires? im pretty set on rockcrawlers I think, but can you guys help me out with a lift/wheel size, etc.? Any info appreciated! Thanks again all

-Jackson
Old 10-25-2007, 10:35 PM

looks good mang, i'd start off with the ome lift setup available here:
http://www.trdparts4u.com/MC-CACJ-BBHG.aspx
option 2.

should be able to fit 33 x 10.5 on the stock rims. if it doesnt already have manual hubs i'd invest in a set of those too. i just bought my rig and am just biding my time till spring when i can actually install some parts.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm, those tires look pretty small, look like 28". Check to see if thats the stock size of tire, now if it is. You will have 4.10 gears, now when you go up to a bigger tire this will require alot more effort to turn the wheels. So you will want to re-gear to keep the truck bareable.

Now as for lift, there are a few options.

1. Run of the mill 4" suspension lift AKA bracket lift:

These are generally frowned upon since they do not add any additional suspension travel, they weaken the front end and without proper bracing can be messed up in a good hit.

2. Bj spacers + coil spacers/new coils:

Bj spacers will give you 0-1.5" of lift depending on how you want your suspension.

If you want nice soft suspension, you will slack off your torsion bars, you won't get any lift but you will be able to cycle through what little travel the IFS has.
If you want "lift" you can keep your torsion bars the way they are, OR crank them a little. People have gotten upwards of 3" of lift without CV joint problems, but thats another thing you need to look out for.

You will have to lift the rear if you get any front lift going on.
You can either get coil spacers, they are quite cheap but 4runners are famous for saggin rear suspension, so to keep the truck level coil spacers might not be enough.
Your only real other option is to buy new rear coils.
You can buy coils from other model toyota's but I am not familer with coil lifts so I will let sombody else chime in on that subject...

3. SAS

The best suspension mod you can do if you plan to rock crawl, but be aware this is no amature lift.

It requires major modification like cutting all the IFS off, welding new spring hangers for leaf springs, finding a earlyer generation Solid front axle ( 1979-85 ) and depending on your rear lift, you might have to re-locate the rear spring hangers aswell.

4. Body lift

Now you will hear good and bad things about body lifts. Some guys love them, some hate them.
I personally think they are great, they are cheap, easy, and give perfect clearance for bigger tires. Plus they make working on a few things easier

you can get kits ranging from 1-3"

Now for tires.

right off the bat you can run a 33x10.50 on the stock rim, expect to do a little "adjusting" with your hammer but everything should go well, there are numorous guys on here that are running that size tire with NO lift. They seem to like it

With a few inches lift you can run a wider 33x12.50 or possibly a 35x10.50
and it goes from there. But remember as you go bigger you will need to re-gear for the tire size.

For a truck/4runner with a manual transmission you will want to go by this chart.

Tire size **** Gear ratio
28"--------------4.10
31"--------------4.56
33"--------------4.88
35"--------------5.29
37"+-------------5.71

For Automatics

Tire size **** Gear ratio
28"--------------4.56
31"--------------4.88
33"--------------5.29
35+-------------5.71

As already noted, you should look into buying manual hubs to keep ecessive CV joint wear to a minimum. Look out for a set of Aisin hubs, they are a direct bolt in application, and probibly the strongest hubs available to toyota trucks.

Last edited by Jay351; 10-25-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Edited for 4runner owners I.E rear suspension mods.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 PM

Awesome information guys I appreciate it. I think for now Illprobably just do a body lift and stick some 33"s under it? Yes the tires now are 28". They arent manuals, but Ill keep an eye out, what do a pair of these usually run? Are they an easy install or what? I know WHAT they are, but not how to put em on Also if I did a suspension lift, would this be a good way to start, to put under my yota, and over my 33"s?! http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-4RUNNER....aspx?MakeID=1

Forgive my green-ness.

Last edited by fonseca; 10-25-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:58 PM

Also if I did a suspension lift, would this be a good way to start, to put under my yota, and over my 33"s?! http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-4RUNNER....aspx?MakeID=1

Forgive my green-ness.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, that is a quality lift. Has the BJ spacers I talked about earlier.

With that lift you SHOULD be able to run a wider 33" but like I said, you can stuff 33x10.50" with no lift.

*Sorry I forgot the runners have rear coils.
I will revise my original post *

For manual hubs, you can find a used set from free to over 100 bucks.
new they are over 200 EACH. Very high quality parts.

So look though junk yards and keep an eye open for some, rebuild them yourself and install. install is quite straight forward. Many topics on here about rebuilding and installing aisin hubs.