Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New 4runner owner: Rust, Leaks, Exhaust and More!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 4runner owner: Rust, Leaks, Exhaust and More!

Hello all,

I've recently received a 1993 4runner V6 SR5 with an auto transmission, it has 161000 miles on it. I bought it for a $1 from a relative!

Of course, there's a reason they sold it to me so cheap, it's in pretty rough shape, and is looks like it's going to need a lot of work. The most obvious problem is rust, it's everywhere. There's rust around all the wheel wells, rust on the tailgate, and lots and lots of rust on the frame and underparts.

Also, the rims are all chipped and oxidized (I think), is there any way to save them or should I be on the lookout for new rims?

On top of the visible problems, it's got a fair share of mechanical issues:

1. The auto transmission is really strange, it doesn't shift up unless I let up on the gas -- I brought it to the local transmission place, and they didn't seem to think it was a problem. Weird that, I won't be going back to them! Any suggestions as to what it could be, does that sound like a transmission going bad? There does seems to be a leak under the gear shift, which might be my problem.

2. There's a crack in the exhaust system, I'm just a beginner to this, but it seems like it's at the point where the muffler connects. I've attached a photo.

3. There's some chemical scoring on in the front of the engine, on what I think is the radiator -- how should I treat it?

4. The shocks/springs are in a bad, bad way -- the rear right shock looks like it's sprung a leak and is completely coated in some weird mold that I'm afraid to touch.

5. Really minor issue, but super annoying -- there's a really harsh whistling on the right side of the 4Runner that sounds like a cricket, especially under 30ml/hour. As I speed up, I can't hear it, but only because it's probably super high range. Bet the dogs hate me when I drive past! I can't imagine this will be an easy thing to find/fix, but I thought there might be something obvious.

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed on bringing the 4Runner back from the brink, I love the look of it, the size, and it's exactly what I'm looking for in a second vehicle, lots of space and something that can get dirty if need be.

My first thought is to get under it and treat the rust on the axles and frame, I'm going to sand it off, put some rust treatment on it, primer and paint.

The front fenders I'm just going to replace, but the back wheel wells are going to need some pro body work done to them, I'm worried that the rust is going to spread up the body and the thing will just be junk, so that's also a high priority.

I'd like to do most of the work myself, and I'm curious if there's any tutorials for changing the shocks/springs -- I'll bring it to mechanic if necessary but this is my first auto "project" and I want the experience.

I'd be curious to know what people think of the tranny, the thing drives decent enough now but I'm worried about the future.

I'm going to attach some photos so that you can see what I'm talking about:

Rear Wheel Well:

Frame Rust:

Rear Right Shock:

Rear Axle:

Leak under Gear shift:

Crack in Exhaust:

Chemical Wear on Rad?:

Rough Rims:

I wasn't sure if I should drop all this into one post, but I'd like to give an overview before I start tackling each issue separately.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome to the group! the majority of your work can be done by yourself and/or a mechanically inclined friend. as for the exhaust, take it to a shop. they have the tools to repair it quickly. that looks like it just needs a gasket but those bolts will probably need to be torched off.

look around your town for a reputable tranmission shop and have them check out the tranny. if you live in a colder area of the country, your trans will hold 3rd gear until it has sufficiently warmed up. its kind of annoying but so goes the autos. look online for a factory service manual or pick up a haynes or chiltons, they will come in handy.

last but should be first, use the search button. pretty much any question you have has been covered in there somewhere.

lee