86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Needed to Smog messed up timing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Needed to Smog messed up timing

So my smog is due the 2nd of August and ive been running my 3vze at 14* BTDC, so I needed to retard the timing back to 10* made the appointment to pretest and test just to be safe. I retarded timing got the idle to 800rpm and it felt a bit odd but it ran, driving down the road I noticed i didn't even have the stock power as it struggled to idle a little lower than 800rpm. Came to a stop sign depressed the clutch with me not pressing the gas.It didn't want to turn on unless I gave it gas as soon as it turned over. Now the engine wont even idle if I don't have my foot on the accelerator when she cranks over. came home tried advancing it thinking it was my timing light and I retarded it too low, it's still doing same thing. Switched the distributor for a new one i had off for my buddy's car and did the same thing. Im Confused as how all I touched was the distributor and now wont even idle.
This really puts me on a downer as I just figured out my whole 5 speed swap.
PLEASE HELP ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old 07-25-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
A TPS out of adjustment can cause your timing to not set properly.
Also did you re-check timing after you removed clip from TE1 and E1 to see if it is advancing?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:05 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Check and make sure you didn't inadvertently disconnect or change something else while you were adjusting timing. A loose vacuum hose sounds like a good possibility.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:47 AM

Could it still be TPS if i never touched it and it was running fine without me touching it both at 14 and 10 before I advanced it to 14. It only did this after I retarded it back to 10*
Just got a new timing light to check but it wont idle so it won't even stay on either way I turn the distributor for longer than maybe a minute
Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by RJR
Check and make sure you didn't inadvertently disconnect or change something else while you were adjusting timing. A loose vacuum hose sounds like a good possibility.
I checked all my vacuums they're all still good. all connections i made sure had no dirty connectors