Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need a pro 22re guru for this problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, if it ran perfectly before, then I'd say the problem is due to something that was changed. From your description, it sounds like the engine is responding to the O2 sensor which would mean it's going into closed loop which would mean the coolant sensor is probably working fine. Since pinging is due to high combustion temps, and you're not able to get satisfaction from different timing settings, I'd say valve lash or the amount of milling done on the head and/or block. What's the compression like and where do you have the valves set?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
An OEM coolant temp sensor is not 13$, neither is an OEM Fuel filter(both are highly recommended here.) Not sure what you're referring to, sorry.

I have to crash, but I'll be back to offer anything I can think of. I had SOME of the same symptoms in both my build and troubleshooting threads, in my sig below.

Best wishes
Haha....yeah, he can't mean a new sensor. Even at O'Reilly they cost more than that for aftermarket. Maybe he's thinking of a different part? Maybe he meant $130?

Last edited by thook; 07-23-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wud say MAF or ECU..if diagnostic works correctly then its not the ECU
Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Haha....yeah, he can't mean a new sensor. Even at O'Reilly they cost more than that for aftermarket. Maybe he's thinking of a different part? Maybe he meant $130?

This is the part I'm talking about

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search
Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbybouche
Yeah, Napa has them for about 39$ However, as I said, I would think twice about steering way from OEM on that one. Here is a site you can get 20% off from Toyota,.... but ONLY if you are SURE that you need it........

https://www.toyotapartsexpress.com/p...FQs_gwod3WRZZA

"Go OEM with Sensors and Relays and Plugs and...." : Not just my personal opinion, and ESPECIALLY with the 02 Sensor, CTS, Plugs, CSI Switch, etc., etc.,(until Thook writes his book on "02: Bosch vs. Denso", hehehe).
Old 07-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Yeah, Napa has them for about 39$ However, as I said, I would think twice about steering way from OEM on that one. Here is a site you can get 20% off from Toyota,.... but ONLY if you are SURE that you need it........

https://www.toyotapartsexpress.com/p...FQs_gwod3WRZZA

"Go OEM with Sensors and Relays and Plugs and...." : Not just my personal opinion, and ESPECIALLY with the 02 Sensor, CTS, Plugs, CSI Switch, etc., etc.,(until Thook writes his book on "02: Bosch vs. Denso", hehehe).

Thanks ChefYota.........OK now heres the new twist EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS FIRST............

Last night I was lucky enough to get rain here in Phoenix, when that happens my street gets flooded. So I then say what the hell, lets go push some water around. My truck was cold at the time, it was about a half mile round trip. ( I like to pressure wash the underside) So half way through the trip the truck ALMOST sputters out, then she is running fine again in it's cold condition. I look down at the temp gauge to see how much longer I had before it starts running like crap again, and there is no reading on the temp gauge, well crap another thing I have to fix. Now this morning, or 20 minutes before this post time, I fired the truck up to see what's going on. She's running different, not bad, just different. The temp gauge is working again, so I figure lets run it, I had it warmed up to operating temp before leaving and wow, just wow, she is back to life, runs perfect. I can drive with the AC on, plenty of power considering it's a 2.4 and no ping, no loss of power. So what do you guy's think of that, sounds like A new temp sensor is the fix!

Thanks for reading, sorry so long!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:06 PM

Often, when a gauge stops reading, it's the connection at the sensor. However, mine was fluctuating, off and on, and my issue WAS actually the Temp Gauge within the cluster, itself. Many times, people have issues within the wiring itself that can cause them to go in and out. I hope that's not your issue.

I suppose you're going to have to give it some time, then see if it reverts back to misbehaving again. I don't mean to be a Debbie-Downer, but it's just really strange for an 'issue' to suddenly disappear. However, you might have gone crazy in the rain, and that, in combination with the tank and intake treatments, has finally knocked loose some debris within an injector or the lines. Also, watch your mileage...... Sometimes, something like the O2 can short out from a shock of water, etc., and suddenly, it will appear to run fine, ...however, what it's REALLY doing, IN SOME CASES(Not necessarily yours, lol), is staying in open loop due to no O2 reading. I would think that would ALMOST ALWAYS throw a code, so it's not 'LIKELY' or anything. It's just that I've been through some mysterious stuff with my rig, Bobby, and while I thought it was 'finally better', ...it was actually just dumping fuel in to compensate for the ECU not allowing it to go into closed loop(and in one case due to a faulty AFM which was opening too much, from reading the Ambient Temp. improperly).

Sorry for rambling, but hey, it can't hurt to have 'more information', whether it's from the experience of others or well read findings, right?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM

PS> "Momma said, momma said, momma said, .... GIRLS IS THE DEVIL, BOBBY BOUCHE!" HAHAHAHA
Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 PM

Oh, so you went ahead and got temp sensor. Sounds like it is indeed the fix. Excellent!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:12 PM

Hmmmmm, I must of missed that in there, Thook! lol. I thought he was saying it just suddenly ran better after romping in the monsoons of Phoenix! (Remember and LOVED those! Would head up to lake Pleasant and ROMP IN THE MUD! lol)

Well, if that's the case, ENJOY THE NEW RIDING RIG!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:31 PM

Hmmmmm, I must of missed that in there, Thook! lol. I thought he was saying it just suddenly ran better after romping in the monsoons of Phoenix! (Remember and LOVED those! Would head up to lake Pleasant and ROMP IN THE MUD! lol)

Well, if that's the case, ENJOY THE NEW RIDING RIG!

You didn't miss that, it did just suddenly run better. I will keep an eye on the mileage and see whats going on. I hope it's not a short, if so I will just part this thing out and start somewhere else.

Last edited by bobbybouche; 07-23-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:33 PM

Hey, I'm hoping for the best, Bobby, .... Have a good one!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Hey, I'm hoping for the best, Bobby, .... Have a good one!
You and me both, thanks for the incite everyone
Old 07-24-2010, 05:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You and me both, thanks for the incite everyone

>>>*Morning!

I think it was you I was chatting with via email a few days ago, either that or there are two of you with similar concerns.

I have been a bit busy dealing with 50 tons of hay crop the last few days so I keep missing posts.

*One thing I do know is that engines that run fine cold and lousy hot are nearly always fuel related situations. Modern engines that are computer controlled can only react to what information the system gets, so if that is wrong, everything else is wrong also. Nowadays the many sensors need to be looked at also.

We fired up my old GMC a few days ago to haul some hay and she was unhappy from sitting under the Fir trees for just over two years.

I thought of you when she ran fine cold and started stalling below 3000 RPM when warmed up. Ya can't load hay real well at 3000 RPM, even in 4WD low range. (That stuff makes the ground crew crabby...*LOL**)

I put my foot to the floor in neutral and held her there, tac read 7900 RPM. My brother looked at me and shook his head, got on his Honda ATV and left.

*I wasn't worried, I built the engine myself, steel crank, aftermarket rods and things like that. Hay was baled and I had no time to fiddle with the engine.

Danged if after a minute or two she didn't make a couple of big loud POP sounds, then settled down and she runs like a champ. Just nasty fuel, she got kicked loose when I did that.

Now I am not suggesting you try that, but it sounds like maybe you sorta ...did? Anyway, this old man is curious if she is still purring for you?....*EB
Old 07-24-2010, 07:06 AM

You didn't miss that, it did just suddenly run better. I will keep an eye on the mileage and see whats going on. I hope it's not a short, if so I will just part this thing out and start somewhere else.
You see, I read this......

Thanks ChefYota.........OK now heres the new twist EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS FIRST............

Last night I was lucky enough to get rain here in Phoenix, when that happens my street gets flooded. So I then say what the hell, lets go push some water around. My truck was cold at the time, it was about a half mile round trip. ( I like to pressure wash the underside) So half way through the trip the truck ALMOST sputters out, then she is running fine again in it's cold condition. I look down at the temp gauge to see how much longer I had before it starts running like crap again, and there is no reading on the temp gauge, well crap another thing I have to fix. Now this morning, or 20 minutes before this post time, I fired the truck up to see what's going on. She's running different, not bad, just different. The temp gauge is working again, so I figure lets run it, I had it warmed up to operating temp before leaving and wow, just wow, she is back to life, runs perfect. I can drive with the AC on, plenty of power considering it's a 2.4 and no ping, no loss of power. So what do you guy's think of that, sounds like A new temp sensor is the fix!
Thanks for reading, sorry so long!
.......which lead me to believe you put a new sensor in. Oh well.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by thook
You see, I read this......

.......which lead me to believe you put a new sensor in. Oh well.

Lol... sorry about that, I guess that was a bit it miss leading.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by engnbldr
>>>*Morning!

I think it was you I was chatting with via email a few days ago, either that or there are two of you with similar concerns.

I have been a bit busy dealing with 50 tons of hay crop the last few days so I keep missing posts.

*One thing I do know is that engines that run fine cold and lousy hot are nearly always fuel related situations. Modern engines that are computer controlled can only react to what information the system gets, so if that is wrong, everything else is wrong also. Nowadays the many sensors need to be looked at also.

We fired up my old GMC a few days ago to haul some hay and she was unhappy from sitting under the Fir trees for just over two years.

I thought of you when she ran fine cold and started stalling below 3000 RPM when warmed up. Ya can't load hay real well at 3000 RPM, even in 4WD low range. (That stuff makes the ground crew crabby...*LOL**)

I put my foot to the floor in neutral and held her there, tac read 7900 RPM. My brother looked at me and shook his head, got on his Honda ATV and left.

*I wasn't worried, I built the engine myself, steel crank, aftermarket rods and things like that. Hay was baled and I had no time to fiddle with the engine.

Danged if after a minute or two she didn't make a couple of big loud POP sounds, then settled down and she runs like a champ. Just nasty fuel, she got kicked loose when I did that.

Now I am not suggesting you try that, but it sounds like maybe you sorta ...did? Anyway, this old man is curious if she is still purring for you?....*EB

Yes EB that was us chatting through email, I haven't driven it since the "rain day" I have been under the weather a bit. I do however believe it is electrical at this point. I will unplug all the sensors, give them visual inspection, clean and use dielectric grease. I really hope it is this simple after everything is done. I will work on it tomorrow and then give you Guy's an update.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:37 AM

Lol... sorry about that, I guess that was a bit it miss leading.
Yes, it was, ...SHAME ON YOU! "Bobby Bouche, ... I told you, you don't need schools and stuff, ... and NO MORE STUPID FOOZBALL!"

Haahahha.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Ps> Ted ROCKS!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Yes, it was, ...SHAME ON YOU! "Bobby Bouche, ... I told you, you don't need schools and stuff, ... and NO MORE STUPID FOOZBALL!"

Haahahha.

Lol, ya I have had the name since the Waterboy came out!

Quick Reply: Need a pro 22re guru for this problem