Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need help tracing electric connections

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help tracing electric connections

Hi all, you've been a huge help in the past, hoping to get some guidance on tracing a charging problem.

1994 22RE, fleet model truck with no extras. My dad was the original owner and had an air conditioner installed when he bought it, but that's about it. He was an excellent mechanic and never did anything questionable to the wiring, that I know of.

I had a bad oil leak this summer that threw oil around everywhere. It's fixed, and now the alternator light has been flashing intermittently. I've had a multimeter out when this happens and learned it's sending 17-18 volts to the battery at that time. (Battery voltage without the light, engine running, is ~14.7v.) Light is random and nothing I do (or don't do) seems to affect it. It comes on for a few seconds to a minute or so, then off. I live in the sticks and it's a 2 hour drive to town, would say I see the light for maybe 5-7 minutes total during the two hour run, broken up in random flickering. I had an errand up the street the other day and the light was on the whole time (!) maybe 10 minutes round trip, and only went out when the engine was at low RPMs. (Note that I was driving maybe 25mph the whole time, winding mountain roads here.) Next day I found one connection full of oil and wiped this out with a Q-tip. That reduced the light back to random flickering. Per Autozone and O'Reilly, the alternator/voltage regulator/diodes all tested good, as did the battery. Something is obviously wrong though.

I am no mechanic unfortunately, also a long way from a shop and don't know any of them, and I'm about broke to boot. Looking to do anything I can to help resolve this before taking it in. I'm prepared to wrestle the alternator off and clean it/replace brushes, but thought I should check wires and connections first.

Specific questions:

I had a look at this excellent thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-guide-194413/ and cannot find grounds #1 and #2. The first one, I just can't find any place on my engine that looks like the pic, help? Here's what I see. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Battery area

Ground #1 Area???

And #2, this is described as being connected to the power steering pump. I don't have one of those. I see a wire that seems like it could be the one. Am I on the right track?

No power steering pump! Is this Ground #2 in an alternate location? Wire comes directly from alternator.

Close up

Third, where else should I be looking for bad connections, oil fouling, anything that's worth checking before I attempt to work on (or replace) the alternator? The alternator belt is thoroughly oily and I have a new one to put on. Anything else I should check?

Thanks, all. Hoping I can get this resolved without spending a lot of cash, and looking to learn something too.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts
If the alternator is over charging, the internal voltage regulator is probably on the way out. 17 to 18 volts is over charging. Your battery is probably getting hot when it is over charging.

Might as well buy a new/reman alternator because a new voltage regulator is about $80.

#1 ground does bolt to AC bracket. No AC or bracket use a shorter bolt, and bolt to block. #2 I don't remember right now.

Last edited by snippits; 10-08-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:07 PM

I'll keep looking for them, must just be missing something obvious. I'm hoping this isn't the voltage regulator, but if it is, it is. Guess I will get to learn how to replace an alternator.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2018, 04:25 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
#1 is the primary ground, it's used by the starter. Follow the largest cable from the negative battery terminal and you'll find where it's attached, it should be the same size as the positive cable that runs directly to the starter.

#2 is the alternator ground, as you've noted. Pull the bolt and clean both sides if the connection to bright shining metal and reassemble with the wire lug directly touching the engine.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Will do, thanks!