Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with Bikini top...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Bikini top...

Thought that would get your attention

We ordered this bikini top back the beginning of June, got it yesterday and put it on last night. Everything went together smoothly, no brainer, then I see it doesn't fit on the side curve with the roofline. So I send a text and some pics to tell them it doesn't fit. Well, they tell me I must be doing something wrong but if not, hammer it into shape with a rubber mallet. Or I could ship them back on my dime so they could check. We certainly have come to an impasse on their customer service, but I'm trying to be reasonable. He doesn't trust that customers aren't trying to take advantage of him, even with pics, and now I don't trust that when I send it back to him as it is he won't just say "there's no problem." Now for $230 with shipping I expect it to fit, but I'm willing to admit when I'm a complete idiot, so I thought I would post up some pics for opinions on what exactly I'm doing wrong before I start hammering away. My plan now is to hammer to fit, send back the rails so they can see the bend was wrong, cause I'm 99% sure it's so simple there's no way to do assemble it "wrong". He says if I break it trying to "fix it" he'll take care of it, and if I send them back after mod and they were indeed incorrect, he'll refund my shipping....but this was after many texts of negotiation. Not "happy" but again, I'm trying to be reasonable.

So here are the views....

Passenger side from behind

Driver side from behind

Passenger side from front

Everything else lines up perfectly so the only explanation I can find is the radii on the sides are simply incorrect

So help me out here....do you see what I am doing wrong? Do the rails look like they don't fit to you or does my 4runner somehow have a different roofline than all the one's they previously sold tops for?

Waiting with mallet in hand....
Old 07-14-2010, 06:57 PM

hmmmmm... i ran with a bikini top for a bit.

if i remember i did take a mallet to it!

joel
Old 07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Do me a favor, measure your overall length accounting for the curves (basically, pretend the metal was straight)

Then, measure from tip to tip, like in this illustration.

And please, measure with NO LOAD and UNINSTALLED for obvious reasons.

This is my top setup, and it fits PERFECT!

If yours doesn't measure between 48 and 49" tip to tip, then you have a reasonable gripe with the vendor.

However, if all this can be fixed with a little extra bending, then just go out and tweak it a little. Its aftermarket after all, and for the price, I think its completely worth it.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 07-14-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Staff

Btw, one bit of advice.

DO NOTpull the straps in the back too taut. Otherwise, they will pull the side out (looks like yours are twisted back for some reason?) They are also designed to be placed outside the center of their mount. IE, where you have them strapped to is wrong. They need to be at an outward angle.

AND

Make SURE your middle bow is in place before you tighten the back up as well. It relys on upward pressure to suck the sides in. It doesn't even look like you have your center support bow installed?!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:26 AM

Cougar, thanks for the input, I'll measure tonight and see before I hammer. No, I did not attach the support bow because when I realized the curve didn't fit, I stopped installation. Same for the strap tie-downs: the straps were attached to the stock rear tie down loops in the bed in the pic, just to keep it from flopping into the back seat area while I took pics. They will be mounted on the the little strip of metal that meets up with the tailgate, on the top of the body panel but inside the area where the top will sit. That is, after I cut the straps and re-sew them because they are too long . Actually, I'll just probably tie a loop knot in it to take up the extra length, I don't sew too well.

Measurements to come...

Last edited by JC III; 07-15-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:11 PM

It measured 48 1/2" tip to tip, 51" overall. I guess the top of my 4runner has a different roofline than all the others....because after some time with the mallet to hammer the curve down to where it was supposed to be, 47 1/2" tip to tip is what it ended up needing to actually fit.

Very strange indeed.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
looks good tho!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:56 PM

Preshate that, they do make a good looking top overall. With support bar, strap for it, tension straps set up at the top rear of the bed, it rides really good with minimal noise/flapping at up to 60 on the main road tonight. Certainly not a bad design, I just needed to suck it up and smack that fragile looking track with a mallet I've not had good luck hammering on aluminum, but there's a first time for everything.

It will definitely make it more comfortable with some shade to keep the rear out of the beating sun and usual thunderstorm.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Staff

Well mine fits snug with my measurements.

Again, did you follow the instructions I gave you for installing it?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Yep. I just can't see how it could be installed "wrong"...there seems to be only one way to put it together. If all the bolt holes line up, it is what it is. I mean, look at the before pics...what is out of place other than the curve? It fit perfectly on the flat of the top, just not the sides. Doesn't really matter anymore, it's bent to shape and looks great as an end result. I just like to know the "why's", not to beat a dead horse or prove anything, but because if I messed it up, I want to make sure I don't overlook the obvious the next time I do something. I'm just puzzled what I could have done or what is different about my truck.