Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need advice: sell 4runner or Landcruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice: sell 4runner or Landcruiser?

I've had a '68 FJ40 for the past 16 years. I've loved it. I'm a Landcruiser guy. I could talk 'cruisers for hours. Mine is basically stock aside from extended shackles and 31 x 10.50s. Seven years ago we moved to the country and just haven't driven it as much. It's a bit of beast to drive so we usually hop in our Subaru when we go camping. About all we use the Cruiser for is towing our old 16' boat (which is a bit of a trick but it works). The Landcruiser is deteriorating away behind my garden shed. I still keep it registered and insured but it gets driven very little. The rust under the rear doors is getting worse and the seats are deteriorating away as well.

I had always dreamed of restoring it but after some thought and a desire to simplify life, I finally decided to consider sending my old friend down the road.

As a replacement I just purchased a '89 4runner w/V-6. I figured it would get used more (A/C, better gas mileage, better highway performance, more comfy for my sons in the back, etc...)

The good:
* no rust, period (it is a Nevada car).
* straight body.
* solid 3.0 V-6, runs well.
* seats and carpet are in reasonably decent shape.

The bad:
* I've noticed some mechanical howl (wheel bearing? dry rear pumpkin?).
* apparently clutch has bad pilot bearing (hard to shift from neutral into any gear after it's warmed up.
* some oxidation/clearcoat peeling.

The ugly:
* some ham fisted teenager has done a real hack job with a stereo install gone bad. every panel is hanging and the rear arm rests are gone (now 6x9's reside there). Tailgate panel's missing, etc...
* same ham fisted teenager removed top at some point and lost all the interior trim pieces.
* power windows are sucking it up badly, especially passenger side.

I paid $2800 for the 4runner.

What do I do now? I'm having second thoughts about actually selling my Cruiser and I'm having a hard time bonding with this 4runner.

Should I turn some wrenches on the 4runner, hit some salvage yards for trim pieces and get it cleaned up so I can start loving it or should I turn around and just sell it, get my money back and keep the dream alive of restoring the Cruiser?

This is how I see it from my perspective; The Landcruiser is something I could have for the rest of my life but I'll likely never drive it a lot because it is a such a beast. The 4runner is a bit more disposable. A very good little truck but eventually the seats, panels, power windows, thin body panels, etc... will be done for and I'll send it down the road. However, in the meantime, I'll probably use the 4runner a lot more.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Tracy Smith
Rexburg, ID

Last edited by fj401968; 09-08-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:08 AM

well if by the power windows sucking it up you mean they are slow thats fine, mine were like that too, just spray some lub down in the window and roll it up and down, and better yet take off the door pannel and clean all the good stuff in there. and if you look around at junk yards you can find all the peices, take a lil time and find some good ones, no sence in getting ones that are already rotting away.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:09 AM

I'd put some $ in the cruiser to fix it up and maybe make it a bit easier to drive. I totally understand your reasoning for wanting the 4runner but you may regret not fixing the cruiser later on. For the cost of the runner You could probably add some creature comforts like power steering/brakes and plusher interior bits to make it more fun to drive. Like you said, it's a vehicle you could have for the rest of your life! I loved my 4runner but the cruiser has alot of character! just my 2 cents
Old 09-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

I love my 4runner. I enjoy driving it and I like the fact that someone is always parting out a 2nd generation... Makes it pretty easy to find parts. I also like the fact that mine doesen't have any rust. If I could weld maybe that wouldn't be such a big deal.

That said, however... I think you should go with what you enjoy working on and driving. If the 4runner doesen't do it for you then it's not the car for you.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definately keep the cruiser. You will regret selling it for sure.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:07 PM

ya and sell the 4runner to me
Old 09-08-2006, 01:08 PM

I'm a 4runner guy, but I'd say keep the cruiser in this situation. You obviously love the vehicle, and seeing someone drive it away would be very painful.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:51 PM

I like my 4runner, but in your case it would definately sound like you would regret selling the cruiser, so I would say to keep it...
Old 09-08-2006, 02:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
either keep the cruiser and sell the runner or keep both, terminate the insurance and everything on the cruiser so its not another payment, and fix up the runner.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:35 PM

Here's a pic of the 40

So far the vote is keep the Cruiser. I was worried about that. I'm trying to bond with the 4runner but I have a pit in my stomach about selling the Cruiser. I was hoping you guys would lull me into 4runner-land.

My wife likes the comfort of the 4runner. My boys are bawling about selling the Cruiser. I'll have a hard time letting it go too. Why?... it's just a car.

Well I'm posting a pic of me working on the Cruiser.

Did I do okay on the 4runner if I keep it? ($2800)

Thanks,

Tracy Smith
Rexburg, ID
Attached Thumbnails Need advice: sell 4runner or Landcruiser?-tn_img_0631.jpg  
Old 09-08-2006, 02:38 PM

BTW, I'll snap a pic of the 4runner tonight and post it when I get time.

Tracy Smith
Rexburg, ID
Old 09-08-2006, 03:02 PM

What do you mean when the rear pumpkin is dry? What needs to be done to stop the howling sound?
Old 09-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

sell your runner and use the money to upgrade the cruiser as suggested. i saw a 77 last night, the body was nearly rotted away below the belt line. if your pic is relatively current, id say it looks pretty good! good luck in whatever decision you make.

lee
Old 09-08-2006, 05:46 PM

I regret not fixing my '73. If i could get it back now that I make a little more money and know how to use my tools i'd be a happy camper. But I do love the comfort of my 3rd gen.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:46 PM

i almost bought a 77 a few years ago nice truck BUT the guy had put in a fricken
chevey 350 that why i passed and bought a 1980 j10 jeep
the guy who bought the 77 restored the fj and made double what he payed

i love my 4 runner the best truck i have ever had i plan on keeping it until it dies for the 10th time
i would say keep both they are both a classic style
Old 09-08-2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal80
What do you mean when the rear pumpkin is dry? What needs to be done to stop the howling sound?
What I'm saying is, the runner has some drivetrain noise that concerns me. It sounds mechanical (vs. tire noise), so I'm not sure if it is simply a bad wheel bearing or something more serious like diff or trans noise from a low level of 90w. I don't know... I just bought it and I haven't checked everything out yet.

Tracy
Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by leebee
sell your runner and use the money to upgrade the cruiser as suggested. i saw a 77 last night, the body was nearly rotted away below the belt line. if your pic is relatively current, id say it looks pretty good! good luck in whatever decision you make.

lee
Thanks, this has been a tough decision and I really appreciate all the replies. The pic of the Cruiser is fairly recent. I think the older Cruisers (mine's a '68) are slower to rot away because they were made of heavier gauge steel.

Tracy
Old 09-09-2006, 01:47 PM

Keep the cruiser, because the money to replace it later will be and is getting crazy. I love my Runner and have bonded with it, but I would love to have a comfortable ol' cruiser - put some time and money into it and make it where your wife will appreciate it. I have seen some with complete metal insides go for huge money - I would like to see one with modern interior and comfort - now your talking.