86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need advice on potential purchase - oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on potential purchase - oil leak

Yesterday I looked at a 94 DX 4x4 with 118k that a local guy has for sale. He's the second owner and has owned it for 7 years. The truck is absolutely immaculate and I could only find one slight ding on the back of the bed. Otherwise, the thing is the nicest 12 year old truck I've ever seen.

The problem is when he bought it, the drivers side valve cover leaked in the rear. He took it to a dealer to have it looked at and they told him not to fix it because it would just cause a new leak to spring somewhere else so he never fixed it

He only used it as a third vehicle so that explains the condition and mileage, but this oil leak has me puzzled. It's obviously not a huge ordeal to fix a valve cover leak and he has records of having the timing belt done and just about every other service. Why in the world would someone replace the timing belt and everything else recommended by the dealer, but not fix this valve cover leak. 7 years later it leaks enough that oil is on the exhuast manifold and stinks when you pull it back in his garage. For the life of me, I can't understand why a dealer service dept would do a timing belt on this thing and not tell him to fix the oil leak.

Another thing that bothered me about the truck is the engine is a complete dog. It's an auto trans but the thing seemed geared real low and didn't have much guts going up hills and such. It almost makes me wonder if there is an underlying problem like a head gasket lingering and that's why he didn't fix the oil leak. The coolant looked good and no antifreeze in the oil.

If it weren't for the condition of this vehicle, I'd walk away.... but I hate to pass on it.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 AM

What engine is in it? That, and what it's geared at will have an impact on how "guttsy" it'll feel on hills. Never driven an auto yota, but all of the standard yota's I've driven seem to have their power going up a good sized hill in third gear. And as far as the fixing the valve cover problem... Maybe the yota tech was just plane lazy? Have never heard anyone say that. RTV that bast***! Take it to a mech you trust and have him do a rundown on er. Good luck either way!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:52 AM

Sounds like a V6 (T belt not chain). If so is this one affected by the HG recall? I'd buy it regardless of a leak!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:54 AM

Thanks... it's a 3.0 V6

It could be that I'm just used to driving my 2000 Tundra with the 4.7 but it felt really sluggish. I kept looking down to see if it was in 4 wheels drive or something but it's probably just the difference in the two.

I guess I just dont think like this guy. It would drive me bonkers to know my truck is leaking oil.... and he let it go for 7 years but did all the other services.....
Old 01-17-2007, 06:54 AM

Considering the age and mileage, I dont think the head gasket recall applies does it?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

the 3.0 with slush box are sluggish, but I would definately pay to have your mech look it over. Mine w/ stock 4.88's and stock 31's and auto are definately going to feel sluggish going uphill especially if you are used to anything that has any power. You have to play around with OD off button and the ECT button when climbing hills to find the right combo. If you do get it, I would suggest adding an aftermarket tranny cooler right away.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bwilder10h
Considering the age and mileage, I don't think the head gasket recall applies does it?

Run the vin past the Toyota USA website. There is a link for recall there. I posted it up in a post about the service campaign along time ago you might find it in a quick search here.
I think the time period for the head gasket has expired. but some dealerships still honor it, as you will see post lately about it in the thread for the 90 service campaign.
They will also indicate other service campaigns that are due for the vehicle.
I had a A/C and one other one to get done.

If its a good price and as clean as you describe, jump on it. Should turn into a worth trail rig.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:51 AM

I can't believe the dealer told him not to bother replacing the valve cover gasket. That just doesn't make sense. Plus the fact that they told him by replacing it that it would cause it to leak somewhere else. Doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard from any dealer. If it's just the cover gasket or oil cooler O ring I'd get it since you say it's immaculate and only has 118,000 mi.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:26 AM

spud,

that's what I thought too. I'm beginning to think there must be something else going on. I'm also thinking it would be best to walk away....
Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 AM

Just sounds like a fishy story to me, how much is the guy asking? If it's got a new timing belt that's one good thing. I'm thinking he replaced the valve cover gasket and that wasn't the problem. A common problem would be the O ring gasket on the oil cooler and it sounds like it's where it's leaking, rear of engine driver side. The auto tranny wouln't be my first choice compared to the manual for the 3.0 but they're pretty reliable and will last a long time with proper maintenance. Check the top of the oil fill cap for any foamy whiteish brown residue (coolant in oil) and check the coolant resevoir and radiator for any signs of oil in the coolant. If you find this you can be pretty sure it's a blown head gasket, if not you may have a diamond in the rough! As far as it being a dog it may just need a good tune up, plugs (NGK), rotor, cap,wires and set the timing.

Last edited by spudrunner; 01-17-2007 at 10:07 AM.