86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need advice for a common problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice for a common problem

Hello! Newbie poster to Yota tech here, so please don't eat me alive if I'm out of line haha! I've got an issue with getting my truck to run. It's a 86 EFI that was rebuilt a couple thousand miles ago, my dad gave me the truck a while back and it ran great for a few weeks then I started having issues with the AFM from what I gathered searching the forums. At first the AFM connecter was bad so I got a new one from a salvage yard and wired it up, the truck ran great for a few more weeks then it started the same thing again where it would start up, idle for a few seconds then die. So I did some more searching and discovered my intake boot had a crack in it. I recently got a brand new boot in the mail and put it on everything checked out great in the vacuum lines otherwise, so I fired it up and it ran perfect for about 5 minutes I thought I had it figured out. After it idling for a bit it sputtered and died out again. couldn't get it to crank, jumped the fuel pump and could get it to run super rough for a little bit longer but nothing like it did when I first repaired the intake. I have a check engine light on but I can't diagnose it because the truck is a wiring nightmare and there's is literally no diagnostic port on it anywhere! I guess someone, somewhere along the line cut it out or something. My next suspect is the AFM so I tested it and all the other pins check out for continuity except for pins: E2 and VS the continuity on them reads .148 when the flapper is closed and once I start to open the flapper the test meter shows an open loop, meaning no continuity. However, with the AFM plugged up if I engage the flapper the fuel pump kicks on. I read somewhere that if that's the case then the AFM is not faulty. I guess where I'm getting is does anyone think the AFM is the cause or could it be something else I haven't checked yet? I hate to blindly go changing parts especially when I can't read the engine codes. Thank you for reading! I'm sorry I went into such detail but I have no where else to go for information and this forum has helped in the past with just reading about other peoples issues along the same lines.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:14 AM

Welcome.

Start here for the check engine light (referenced as 'MIL' in this guide, so you'll be looking at it when you determine the codes):
http://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/t...r-pickup-2-4l/

On vehicles this old, you're not going to find a diagnostic port - it wasn't cut out, it was never there.

That may also get you started on the 'what's wrong with this thing?'.

Details should never be seen as a problem. If you include your details, the answers you receive will more likely apply to your situation, and you'll have fewer people telling you to do something you've already done.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Sounds like it might be the fuel filter .

If it runs poor with the fuel pump safeties bypassed.

Might also be the Circuit Open Relay Run coil not pulling in.

I have a bunch of these Engines I have yet to have a AFM fail.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by kbpickens
Welcome.

Start here for the check engine light (referenced as 'MIL' in this guide, so you'll be looking at it when you determine the codes):
http://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/t...r-pickup-2-4l/

On vehicles this old, you're not going to find a diagnostic port - it wasn't cut out, it was never there.

That may also get you started on the 'what's wrong with this thing?'.

Details should never be seen as a problem. If you include your details, the answers you receive will more likely apply to your situation, and you'll have fewer people telling you to do something you've already done.
Sweet! I did the code thing and it's giving me 2 short blinks a pause and then 8 blinks which I assume is code 2 and 8 which is something with the vfm and the IAT. Does that seem right? I think I am reading the MIL right. I guess it could be the wiring harness to the AFM again but I wiggled it every which way and still no Go. I also forgot to mention I changed the fuel filter a couple days ago.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:34 PM

So I did a little messing around the AFM and found out the plug must be causing my issue I got the truck to run great again for about 5 minutes while squeezing and moving the connector around. I cleaned it up but am still not able to get a good connection.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:46 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Have you lost the clip that holds the plug on??
Old 11-14-2015, 03:42 PM

No the clip is there but it still wiggles. Is there anywhere I can buy a brand new plug or is it possible it's the actual AFM port?