Narrow wheels, wide tires - YotaTech Forums

Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Narrow wheels, wide tires

Old 10-24-2018, 08:34 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vancouver, WA (Not BC)
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Narrow wheels, wide tires

I'm thinking about running stock alloy 7 inch wide wheels with 12.5 inch wide tires. Whats the verdict on that? Heard folks say it's great and you can air down and not worry about popping beads, and others say it's horrible on the street, wanders alot and wears down tires real fast. I need some opinions before I drop the coin on new tires. Thanks
95YotaPickup is online now  
Old 10-25-2018, 01:42 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 272
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
First off, why 12.5? For the look? For Sand? Style wise, I personally hate wide tires like that. Also fuel consumption. With the original rim offsett at least you don't screw with the angles for steering, so that is a plus.
Else, I'd stick with 10.5, 11,5. I am actually going to 33x9.5 or 31x9.5 to have more pressure on the road for wet conditions.
Quick Reply
The German TÜV, which checks all cars every 2 years + smog, reccomends https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=704923

7,0 inch rim
min 195 mm
optimal 205 oder 215 mm
max 225 mm

a 12.5 is 317mm wide. I cannot recommend it.
ev13wt is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 07:51 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
az4x4runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Yavapai County, Arizona
Posts: 1,591
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is pretty wide for stock rims, maybe someone here who has done it will chime in, but I can't imagine it handling very well. I have seen 11.50s on stock.

I'm looking for someone who makes 31x9.50 for my stock alloys for the reasons mentioned by ev13wt.
az4x4runner is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 08:34 AM
  #4  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vancouver, WA (Not BC)
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, maybe I'll go with 10.5 wide tires if I keep the stock wheels. But what if I went to like an 8 inch wide wheel? The stock alloys are 7 inches wide and have a 4.5 inch backspacing. What would be the equivalent in an 8 inch wide wheel? Something like 5 inches of backspacing?
95YotaPickup is online now  
Old 10-25-2018, 08:48 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 272
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 95YotaPickup View Post
Ok, maybe I'll go with 10.5 wide tires if I keep the stock wheels. But what if I went to like an 8 inch wide wheel? The stock alloys are 7 inches wide and have a 4.5 inch backspacing. What would be the equivalent in an 8 inch wide wheel? Something like 5 inches of backspacing?
3,75" backspacing. 8". American Racing has some. 139mm, 6 Lug

If you like that Matchbox car look, go for it! I think 31 or 33 x 12.5 look like square blocks 37x12.5, that is ok again
ev13wt is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 08:51 AM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern AZ
Posts: 1,056
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Check Tire Rack for the tire(s) you are considering. The manufacturers usually show the recommended wheel width(s).
L5wolvesf is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 11:15 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
SomedayJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NL
Posts: 549
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
I am actually going to 33x9.5 or 31x9.5 to have more pressure on the road for wet conditions.
33x9.5 to have more pressure on the road for wet condition? As far as I know, you don't have anything All Terrain style in that size in Europe. You can find the BFGoodrich MUD Terrain in 33x10.5 r15, and they're very noisy on the road and not good in wet road, the 33x10.5 r15 All Terrain're better in those conditions but they're discontinued here. There're more options in 31x10.5 r15, but not in 9.5.
If you can find the BFGoodrich in 33x10.r r15 (All Terrain), let me know, please.
SomedayJ is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 12:57 PM
  #8  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 272
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Just checked, offroadreifen com has over 20 in stock on the 33 10,5s MT. Can't find a AT. My dreams...


i messed up I meant 30x9,5r15

need to check metric options.

Last edited by ev13wt; 10-25-2018 at 01:00 PM.
ev13wt is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 01:03 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
SomedayJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NL
Posts: 549
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
Just checked, offroadreifen com has over 20 in stock on the 33 10,5s MT. Can't find a AT. My dreams...


i messed up I meant 30x9,5r15

need to check metric options.
Please, can you send me that link, I only see 33x12.5 r15. I can't find the BFG All Terrain 33x10.5 R15.
SomedayJ is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 07:47 PM
  #10  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vancouver, WA (Not BC)
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's the link for those BFG All Terrains in 33x10.5r15 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=305R5KO2RWLV2
Just to clarify, an 8 inch wide wheel with 3.75 inches of backspacing would be equivalent to the stock alloy wheels that are 7 inches wide and have 4.5 inches of backspacing?
95YotaPickup is online now  
Old 10-26-2018, 12:37 AM
  #11  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 272
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 95YotaPickup View Post
Here's the link for those BFG All Terrains in 33x10.5r15 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=305R5KO2RWLV2
Just to clarify, an 8 inch wide wheel with 3.75 inches of backspacing would be equivalent to the stock alloy wheels that are 7 inches wide and have 4.5 inches of backspacing?
No idea, If I calculate it, it would obviously be 4" to get in into the same center location, right?
3,75 works great though. No binding, no rubbing. A bit wider. Some like the look. Might need an inch of body lift or crank for the 33s. 33 10,5 will work pretty great on the stock sr5 rims
ev13wt is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 08:11 AM
  #12  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vancouver, WA (Not BC)
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Going to be getting 33s once my Blazeland long travel kit shows up, and he recommends those stock sr5 wheels because of the deep backspacing. With 3 inch wider control arms on each side, they should help keep the track width manageable. So basically I want 8 inch wide wheels that will put the mounting surface at the same spot as the sr5 wheels would so the truck isn't obnoxiously wide.
95YotaPickup is online now  
Old 10-26-2018, 08:41 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 272
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 95YotaPickup View Post
Going to be getting 33s once my Blazeland long travel kit shows up, and he recommends those stock sr5 wheels because of the deep backspacing. With 3 inch wider control arms on each side, they should help keep the track width manageable. So basically I want 8 inch wide wheels that will put the mounting surface at the same spot as the sr5 wheels would so the truck isn't obnoxiously wide.
3" per side? That would mean you need a 7" backspace front rim and a "stock" rear one. It would look cool too, the front has less depth than the rear rim, looking from the outside! I like.

Just make sure the front is a bit (1 or 1.5") WIDER than the rear. That will make it go straight much nicer.
ev13wt is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 08:42 AM
  #14  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 272
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Steering ackerman angle will be fubared in any case, so go for what looks good and is close to each other in track width, front +1 to 1.5" wider.
ev13wt is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 08:15 PM
  #15  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vancouver, WA (Not BC)
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Plan was to have 3 inch wheel spacers in the rear to match the front width increase. Should I go with 1.5 or 2 inch spacers instead? This would make the front a bit wider than the rear.
95YotaPickup is online now  
Old 10-27-2018, 02:19 PM
  #16  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 272
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
2"

Get both at the rear (2", 3") and tell us about it. Theory and real life testing are definitely two different things.

With a narrower rear, it "should" track smoother and follow the front with less sketchy breakouts.

Last edited by ev13wt; 10-27-2018 at 02:30 PM.
ev13wt is offline  
Old 10-28-2018, 06:55 AM
  #17  
Fossilized
Staff
iTrader: (6)
 
dropzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: PNW
Posts: 19,066
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 95YotaPickup View Post
I'm thinking about running stock alloy 7 inch wide wheels with 12.5 inch wide tires. Whats the verdict on that? Heard folks say it's great and you can air down and not worry about popping beads, and others say it's horrible on the street, wanders alot and wears down tires real fast. I need some opinions before I drop the coin on new tires. Thanks
do you like to buy tires? like an even tire wear?
Best of luck finding a tire shop to mount them for you

do a T100 Rear axle to match your front track width

Last edited by dropzone; 10-28-2018 at 06:57 AM.
dropzone is offline  
Old 10-28-2018, 08:12 AM
  #18  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vancouver, WA (Not BC)
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like I should probably stick with 10.5 tires for the stock wheels then. It would be ideal to swap in a T100 axle, but I've already got gears and an ARB out back, don't really want to have to start over. From what I've read there shouldn't be any issues with wheel adapters in the back, seems like most guys running the Blazeland kit do and it works good for them.
95YotaPickup is online now  
Old 12-13-2018, 09:18 AM
  #19  
Registered User
 
BMarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
No idea, If I calculate it, it would obviously be 4" to get in into the same center location, right?
3,75 works great though. No binding, no rubbing. A bit wider. Some like the look. Might need an inch of body lift or crank for the 33s. 33 10,5 will work pretty great on the stock sr5 rims

I was just reading this and other threads trying to get the correct info:


I'm currently running 31x10.5 BFG M/T on my '94 4wd pickup:








Have no idea on the specs of the current wheels (just bought the truck a few months ago), and I want to swap them for some steel wheels. I'm happy with the current setup (little extension beyond fender wells), would like to keep it as is. Truck is completely stock, no lift or other mods.


I'm looking into a set of steel Procomp 97 Series 15x8 with a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern and 3.75 backspacing. Would these be the specs to go for?


Thanks!
BMarino is offline  
Old 12-18-2018, 09:50 AM
  #20  
Registered User
 
jakey poo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Cornelius, OR
Posts: 697
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
You're going to have to get out the ole tape measure and measure up your wheels to see if the new ones will fit the same. Personally however I think the rims you have now look/fit great with the pickup.
jakey poo is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Narrow wheels, wide tires


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: